Why did Blizzard redesign every class?

General Discussion
Instead of making a long, detailed thread, I'll simply ask a simple question:

Why did Blizzard feel the need to completely redesign virtually every class's playstyle when they were essentially functioning perfectly well up to this point?

In the past, Blizzard basically added onto what classes could do, but in Legion most classes are being dramatically redesigned. Without contaminating this thread with my own biased opinion on this, why did Blizzard feel the need to do this? What would make them take such a gamble and risk changing everything, especially when the community has repeatedly shown that it dislikes even small changes?

Obviously, Blizzard will not see or respond to this thread, so my question is to any posters that read this thread. What is your opinion?
I, for one, simply wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have to re-learn how to play my main and all my alts every-single expansion. My very favorite thing about WotLK was having to re-learn my DK every patch.
Because the devs are OCD and can't stop themselves from changing everything.
They basically reinvent the wheel every expansion and call it exciting new content.
Clearly Blizzard makes these kinds of design changes that no one asked for and no one wants because they want to lose even more subscribers.
11/15/2015 12:31 PMPosted by Petersen
I, for one, simply wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have to re-learn how to play my main and all my alts every-single expansion. My very favorite thing about WotLK was having to re-learn my DK every patch.

The difference between this expansion and previous ones (with some exceptions, hunters transitioning into focus for instance) is that for the most part, Blizzard has been building on their old designs over time and adding to them.

To a very large degree, they are completely remodeling everything they have done so far and trying wild new ideas. They are changing the core identities of almost every class, and that can be quite risky to do.

Edit: Typo.
They try to fix problems, or they just plain don't like how people are playing a spec (that they designed). So they just end up changing it up and making new problems and then they won't like it and they'll change it again. Enh was fine... but now they want to give them a resource system like every other class... we will see how far this homogenization will go.
I suspect it was to make one concerted pass to make up for the creeping tide of 'homogenization' that players have been watching for since the space between Wrath and Cata. They have been looking for a solution to this issue, looking for a way to make each class feel like its own experience within the parameters of game balance.

Most of it was kind of just smashing the classes open and putting the pieces back together as modern art. So, if you're into change, it can be a lot of fun, but if you liked where you were, this was a step that would compromise your enjoyment. I imagine they had to think long and hard about doing something like this.

Personally? I'm stoked. If this goes over well with the community by its final release, I want to see them continue to make flavorful choices with the class experience.
*Cough* Resto shamans *cough*
Hello.

I used to be an arms warrior.

Used to be.
I honestly think they pruned / made every class similar, to bring 'balance' - as to why they changed every play-style, and that's why every play style is very similar now. And they didn't bring balance, they made it worse by doing that.
Ya I'm tad annoyed that for the past several years I've had to relearn things.

Though this time I'm a little curious how this 'diversifying' of specs is going to look like in the end.
I don't see many negatives about the Frost Mage redesign. And I think they have improved Arcane and Fire, hopefully.
old ability still whining. new ability still whining. i'm going crazy!
Well being a class that's history and identity has been, "weaker paladin" and "weaker warlock" I'm thrilled that they even gave my class enough attention to change it lol.
Because people have been saying for ages now that all the specs feel very similar.

I, for one, am not upset with the re-working idea.
11/15/2015 12:39 PMPosted by Shirt
Hello.

I used to be an arms warrior.

Used to be.

If they gave you a mohawk, would you be a T-Shirt?
a lot of people have already played every class at max lvl over the years. the only class i'm interested in anymore is warrior after all the changes through each expansion.

i've heard of people asking for a wow 2.0 or a new wow game. that would not only involve starting fresh, but leaving behind all that we've put into our characters. i see wod as blizz trying to create a new game. legion should be the better version of these risky and bold ideas
well of course they are. A lot of classes and their specs use to be more spread out in terms of roles and uses. but over the years of endless complaining because 1 class could do this and another could do that which made them too OP. demanded it was removed or changed resulted it old skills being removed and newer made skills for expansions to closer mirror others making us less diverse. all blizzard is trying to do is return classes to how they use to be maybe even more diverse.

Take hunters and rogues as an example. almost all 3 hunter specs do exactly the same thing. we might have 2-3 unique skills between each spec but they all still fall in the same general play style. you play 1 hunter spec you've played them all. bang, bang, bang. while a pet bites the mobs !@#.

Rogues were the same way. stealth and stun then spam several attack skills and vanish. rinse repeat. I doubt anyone short of a player who uses them as a main could tell the difference of what spec was attacking them.

specs have needed a good push away from each other for a while now and we are finally getting it.
11/15/2015 12:29 PMPosted by Nalliah
Why did Blizzard feel the need to completely redesign virtually every class's playstyle when they were essentially functioning perfectly well up to this point?

Citation needed. There are plenty of issues with plenty of classes/specs.
11/15/2015 12:58 PMPosted by Skeletorf
i've heard of people asking for a wow 2.0 or a new wow game. that would not only involve starting fresh, but leaving behind all that we've put into our characters
I always through that the purpose of Cata. Destroy nearly everything we knew and rebuild the world from scratch.