Factions need to go.

Story Forum
And I am not being hyperbolic here. I've been a proponent for a long time that factions should be dissolved and groups of races should work more or less with whoever they get along most with, be it Alliance or Horde. Because let's face it, the faction war as it stands is a convoluted mess - yes, you heard me right.

Stormwind can still be friends with the other Alliance cities but can also reach out and be friends with, I dunno, the Tauren or something. Likewise for the Horde - Orgrimmar can establish relations with Alliance cities or something and they can work together to defend one another's cities against the Legion or whatever threat will arise.

Except the Forsaken because they don't have any friends.
No never. This is a race war game, don't like it? Go play farmville
12/08/2015 10:36 AMPosted by Magnüs

I feel truly enlightened by your contribution to this topic. My soul has reached new heights thanks to you.

On topic, the factions do indeed need to go. They don't serve a purpose anymore, apart from PvP which can just be passed off as training or skirmishes or whatnot between minor factions hiring mercenaries.
Faction conflict? Sure. I still like the factions to actually bring races together, though

And in that sense, I doubt they will EVER go. The story would feel radically different.
I don't necessarily think that factions are a terrible idea, I just don't think Blizzard thought it out that well.

Making something like an explosive faction war isn't a good idea for a story since there's not really much of a satisfactory way to conclude that when a status quo has to be maintained.

However, I don't think the story was that terrible when faction conflict was simply confined to a cold war with border skirmishes.
I think that, instead of eliminating factions, they should simply be reorganized. We should put them along lines of how well they play with others:

Team Blue (Can Coexist and Work Together Faction)

• Humans
  • Dwarves
  • Gnomes
  • Night Elves
  • Draenei
  • Worgen
  • Pandas (all)
  • Darkspear Trolls
  • Tauren
  • Goblins
  • Team Red (Sudden Yet Inevitable Betrayal Faction)
  • Forsaken
  • Orcs
  • Blood Elves
  • 12/08/2015 10:38 AMPosted by Thelamas
    12/08/2015 10:36 AMPosted by Magnüs

I feel truly enlightened by your contribution to this topic. My soul has reached new heights thanks to you.

On topic, the factions do indeed need to go. They don't serve a purpose anymore, apart from PvP which can just be passed off as training or skirmishes or whatnot between minor factions hiring mercenaries.

Holy balls gtfo of this game. Factions don't serve a purpose? Are you high? There are countless differences in culture, in political structure, which make any sense of unity with the horde impossible. Dissolve the horde and we can discuss admittance to the alliance on a race by race basis after all the horde war criminals are punished and the dead returned to their graves. The alliance will never stand for such abominations to coexist with us, there are many reasons why the factions will never unite, and most importantly it is the literal basis for the entire game. You don't just throw out the entire concept. It's orcs vs humans and it always will be.
    12/08/2015 10:47 AMPosted by Magnüs
    Holy balls gtfo of this game. Factions don't serve a purpose? Are you high? There are countless differences in culture, in political structure, which make any sense of unity with the horde impossible. Dissolve the horde and we can discuss admittance to the alliance on a race by race basis after all the horde war criminals are punished and the dead returned to their graves. The alliance will never stand for such abominations to coexist with us, there are many reasons why the factions will never unite, and most importantly it is the literal basis for the entire game. You don't just throw out the entire concept. It's orcs vs humans and it always will be.

You know you've struck a nerve when you get hit with a wall of text, yeesh. If this was still Orcs vs Humans, then what is the point of all the other races, eh smart guy? This isn't an RTS anymore, it needs to evolve beyond the petty faction conflicts.
    On the factions don't serve a purpose bit, I'd argue they do kinda serve one purpose. It's not game-related, but one more related to human psychology in that it's basic nature for us to pick a sort of "team" or "side" we identify with in order to give ourselves more meaning.

That said, I do think going with "Alliance vs. Horde" was probably not a good idea and they should have considered other ideas.
    At the very least they should stop hyping up the faction war nonsense.

We all know it's a stupid dead horse conflict to focus on now.
    12/08/2015 10:56 AMPosted by Quirnheim

I have to say that is very amusing, coming from Captain Kill-All-The-Forsaken, which promotes a faction war.
    12/08/2015 10:57 AMPosted by Thelamas
    12/08/2015 10:56 AMPosted by Quirnheim

I have to say that is very amusing, coming from Captain Kill-All-The-Forsaken, which promotes a faction war.

It is a dead horse conflict.

Just because it is, does not mean that I am not in favour of taking advantage of it and killing all Forsaken for the good of Azeroth.
    The faction conflict has brought nothing positive. The story is at its best when the Alliance and Horde aren't involved.
    Alliance and Horde are far too ingrained into the game and it's story, for better or worse, to just toss out now.

The Alliance and Horde aren't just going to cease to exist. Varian and Vol'jin are not going to up and decide "Screw it, everyone just do what they want!".
    12/08/2015 10:49 AMPosted by Thelamas
    This isn't an RTS anymore, it needs to evolve beyond the petty faction conflicts.

Personally I think the game evolved too far to where everything needs to be a world ending threat now and everyone has be be involved. It's really stripped away the personality of the factions to where they have to put aside their interests otherwise they are painted as incompetent or a fool.

Seems like the denizens are being turned into the Avengers, where they might bicker for a bit, but then come together at the end to stop the main villain. I feel that gets old after awhile.
    12/08/2015 11:06 AMPosted by Valko
    Alliance and Horde are far too ingrained into the game and it's story, for better or worse, to just toss out now.

It's pretty much shaped the entire plot. Even if we finished the current ordeal with Sylvanas and Genn, throwing it out would just be really..Bizarre feeling.
    Man, for the first time Quirnheim I find myself agreeing with you. I think the faction war should end after this Legion invasion, like the last one was supposed to, and the gameplay construct should be doen away with. We already have Merc mode and an instance that has both sides in it. It looks like Blizzard agrees that the faction conflict is played out at this time.
    Hm, no. But what I am in favor of is peace between the factions. Total peace, and wars against their enemies. Maybe some practice skirmishes between the two for a PvP reason.

I do not want to lose the Alliance and Horde traction because Warcraft was built upon those two organizations, but that doesn't mean that they have to be fighting each other all the time. There has to be two playable factions in order for us to experience two sides to a story. From a gameplay stand point that means more content, even if it is just questing.

Besides, some people are so proud of the Alliance/Horde that they'd quit the game if they trashed them, me included, that's why I quit SWTOR an came back here. Heck, I even deactivated all of my Horde race followers in my Garrison even though they're not actually part of the Horde. Like, I will not allow an Orc in my Garrison as a draenei, and I will not allow a draenei's ghost in my Garrison as a troll.

Some people love the divide. It's faction pride, man, even if you're like me and like to be a dirty double agent sometimes 'cause the red team's lore is kinda cool.
    I agree with 99.99% of this...except the 'Forsaken have no friends part'

Without starting an argument, I'm just going to say that I could perhaps see them working with Draenei and MAYBE Night Elves, but it would be a stretch.

First of all, I say Draenei, because of the whole thing with Prophet Velen and the Army of the Light stuff. They'd work with most races.

Second of all, I say that it's a might with Night Elves for two reasons: 1) The Night Elves are a bit more forgiving than the Gilneans and 2) If Vereesa ends up working with Sylvanas, she might be able to convince them.

So, over all, it's a good thread and I give it +1 (hmm), I just thought that one thing could be covered a bit more.

Edit: Okay, now I only agree with about 88.88% of what you said.

12/08/2015 10:59 AMPosted by Quirnheim
    Just because it is, does not mean that I am not in favour of taking advantage of it and killing all Forsaken for the good of Azeroth.

I would be going back on everything I've said in the past about this topic, if I tried to defend a statement that is as absurd as the one above.