No More Proving Grounds

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
12/03/2015 06:46 PMPosted by Sharmarli
Quoted from a different thread on the same topic

[quote]Have you tried lowering your ilvl to 615? ..... you might want to grab another trinket and take off some gear. It sounds counter intuitive, but it's commonly know that the scaling in proving grounds isn't uniform. It gets much harder at higher ilvls.

PG are a joke and have done nothing to improve the gameplay or quality of players, it just makes more people feel like they should just wait for timewalking and get better gear anyways. but its a mini-gate, instead of prooving grounds id rather just go back to keys.
12/03/2015 06:44 PMPosted by Wolfar
12/03/2015 06:38 PMPosted by Snowbeard
Just tell me that Legion doesn't have a Proving Ground. I still can't get half my range guys (including this guy) through Silver and into Heroic LFGs

As I understand it, there will be PG in Legion, but an updated version that isn't the same as we have now.

I would actually like a source on that - I must have missed the discussion of this.
12/03/2015 06:38 PMPosted by Snowbeard
Just tell me that Legion doesn't have a Proving Ground. I still can't get half my range guys (including this guy) through Silver and into Heroic LFGs

Have you tried with your monitor plugged in?
12/03/2015 06:44 PMPosted by Wolfar
As I understand it, there will be PG in Legion, but an updated version that isn't the same as we have now.

Didn't they say it was to be updated for WoD too though? Or am I just going loony? O.o

As for the topic;

Frankly, Silver was so easy I was first time go on every class in every role I've ever done it in minus Spriest, which I got on the next attempt (Maaaay have goofed hard on that one, thinking I was a wave farther than I actually was... or two. I know I know, the wave thingie is RIGHT THERE, I'm not proud of using CDs early, okay? :P )

And just to see how fast Bio can get Downvoted into Buried status, I think it should be Gold we need to pass to Queue up for things. Anything. PvP. LFR. Pet Battles. :P

Assuming you're still reading and not sharpening pitchforks and handing out fliers with my face on them with a big red X over it, I do think PG needs some SERIOUS reworking. It *never* really did what it was intended to do; prepare people for situations they may/will face in group environments.

I mean... teach aggro management, self sustain when Tanks go bye-bye, emergency healing assistance, etc. etc. You know... useful stuff. Any monkey can do their rotation on some dummies in a completely safe environment with only the clock to worry about.

Hell, with the whole Class Halls thing, now would be a perfect time to throw it in there. Custom made 'Proving Grounds' per class/Spec that keeps your kit in mind for it, like when to use Die by the Sword ideally, when to pop into Defensive, of how to utilize Predatory Swiftness as a Feral, or placing/using Lock Gates, and even how to summon food for the group! (Ok ok... too easy, fiiiine...)

Would be nice, thinking about it... But ah! Wishful thinking. Wishful thinking... :P
It took a couple of attempts on my mage, unlike all my other chars (except my lock) who completed it in one try. I just wish proving grounds actually proved something aside from how much AoE you can pump out. Good idea, but implementation needs improvement.
I've done endless on all specs - it isn't hard at all - took a couple of attempts but still. Even did You're really doing it wrong (which is getting gold on the wrong spec).
You know after watching the videos about the artifact quests, those would suffice to become a much better version of proving grounds already. Artifacts are basically a requirement to even go into legion as well.

The shadow priest artifact quests for example has you using mass dispel, healing yourself and using dps cds to even get pass one of the mini bosses.

Even the Blood Death Knight one has you using Anti-magic shell to cross the green lava.
12/03/2015 06:47 PMPosted by Woopee
Instead of cheesing it, just LEARN YOUR CLASS! Just a little bit! It will benefit you in both the short and the long run.

I call BS.

You need to UNLEARN how to play your class properly to clear PG Silver for some classes. You need different talents and glyphs than what you would normally use and when you do clear it and roll back to non-PG mode, you're still no different than before you did all that.

Theme of WoD: Epic Fail
Theme of Legion: WoW's Dead? :)
Respec. Dual spec. Not as painful as it looks. Swallowed my pride and switched to my mess around stand around BM spec and didn't even need the box thingies. The point is to switch up your attacks and stuff and find what works for what. The rotations you use in say pvp and certain dungeons just might not work. Not saying I didn't make what's probably an inordinate amount of tries, but I got through it wearing non upgraded gear.

That smart mouth panda on the other hand... and if I ever see another banana...

Edit: Eyv above me is right. Sometimes it's hard to do but yes, unlearn how you play and make some changes (temporary as they may be) and hopefully find one or two other quirks about your class that might be more/less useful at certain times.
12/04/2015 03:10 AMPosted by Damienkarras
It took a couple of attempts on my mage, unlike all my other chars (except my lock) who completed it in one try. I just wish proving grounds actually proved something aside from how much AoE you can pump out. Good idea, but implementation needs improvement.

Aoe.. yes I had to learn how to actually have Aoe (or pretend i do) lol. Maybe it is a bit biased but I figured out a thing or two about my off spec.
Instead of cheesing it, just LEARN YOUR CLASS! Just a little bit! It will benefit you in both the short and the long run.

It was designed to be done at ~ 615 ilevel.

It supposedly has some real scaling issues (such as the NPC tank getting 1 shot) in the healing event when the player enters with high enough ilevel.

I did it on my Disc at 598, the tank did indeed get 1 shotted even then. Between the BM monk and the fury warrior, neither could keep aggro, sad part was the warrior could withstand more of a beating than the monk could. The NPC's didnt use aggro dump skills, nor did they use their damage reduction skills ever.

I had to do it for feral dps in bear form, since I could regen rage faster than I could energy and keep up the aoe's nonstop.

The PG is broken for some specs, I can't do it as demo lock, I'm told to do it as aff. I haven't ever played aff, wouldn't have the knowledge of where to start, what to stack stat wise, etc.
Proving Grounds proves only one thing.

The maximum level of your stress after trying it about 100 times and still not getting it.
look up your classes pvp burst on youtube. It will show you how to melt those proving grounds rascals.

Interrupt the healer, lead globs onto other enemies and hit them while in globs for a damage boost. Aoe the rats.

ilvl doesnt matter it's all do-able. :D

Good luck!
Nothing like a proving grounds thread to bring out the smug attitudes. It is extremely easy to level to 100 with three or four abilities, and then run up against the silver proving grounds as a brick wall which you will not be able to get past until you spend some time learning your class. Now, the problem is not the proving grounds itself, which is not difficult once you spend some time with your spellbook and talents, and learn how to kite, use interrupts, and other abilities that you probably didn't need at all while leveling. The problem is that leveling is too easy, which is Blizzard's problem, not the problem of players who are just playing the game. If leveling forced everyone to use their interrupts and CCs, and avoid bad stuff on the ground, the proving grounds would be much less of an issue for new players.

Also, some classes have it easier than others for the proving grounds. I struggled with it on this warlock, which is the class I know best, and then one-shot it on my hunter and death knight by just smashing buttons.
12/03/2015 07:36 PMPosted by Merida
Proving grounds is the way to keep the noobs out of the real game. It's the best thing that ever happened to WoW.

Now, before calling me elitist, answer these questions first:
Why would you sacrifice the enjoyment of four random players for the sake of one noob?
Why should four other persons be frustrated just because some person doesn't want to exert effort in learning his class and just wants to get carried?

Errm, it doesn't really gate the real game at all. All it gates are heroic dungeons which are basically faceroll.

You can still do LFR.

You can do MYTHIC FIVE MANS WHICH ARE HARDER THAN HEROICS!
12/03/2015 06:44 PMPosted by Phlynch
What we need is to rework the proving grounds to be better at telling you want you're doing wrong.

Is it really that hard to figure out?

The only thing that's not explicitly stated is that you can trap enemies in the amber globs.

12/03/2015 06:46 PMPosted by Sharmarli
Quoted from a different thread on the same topic

[quote]Have you tried lowering your ilvl to 615? ..... you might want to grab another trinket and take off some gear. It sounds counter intuitive, but it's commonly know that the scaling in proving grounds isn't uniform. It gets much harder at higher ilvls.

High lighted the part I was going to bring up. The answer for a lot of people is yes. I believe a lot of people feel they are doing everything correctly, even though they cannot pass it. If they are doing everything correctly, it must be the test is just far too difficult. Why would they look at their own game play, because in their eyes it is fine. While I would look at myself first and say why can't I do this? I feel a lot of people out there do not. Blizzard needs like a mean group leader NPC to tell people what they are doing wrong. (but not too mean)

Funny story I chuckled, but healing in the proving grounds on my druid the other day.... Turns out I still had my tanking gear on. It was a long line of fails before I began to wonder if I was not just rusty and something really was wrong. Turns out I was a little rusty but my gear was killing me... lol

edit: Or have the proving grounds enemies in the Dungeon Journal with their abilities, just like dungeons and raids. That makes a lot of sense because it will get people use to looking in there for information.
The Proving Grounds need to stay.

A buddy of mine has been playing the same toon since Vanilla, ONE toon, a Mage, that's all he plays. And yet if the content is any level of difficult he's crying for me to come tank for him, to keep things from "running up his face". He can't pass Silver PG either and whines constantly about how it's "not fair".

I'm pretty fed up with him bugging me constantly wanting me to drop what I'm doing and come tank for him while he's questing; the endless messages... "oh great I'm gonna get killed again that's just great"... "yeah yeah I'm dead again there go all my expensive buffs"... "oh yeah look I'm gonna get overrun again and killed again that's just great"... when I won't stop and come run and help him. I don't want to be mean but I'm about to tell him that maybe he needs to learn to play his damn class! And honestly, I don't want him in my dungeon. There are a LOT more players just like him too. A. Lot.

The Proving Grounds need to stay.
I wanted to see how bad new players had it by boosting this rogue I havent played in years and challenging myself to get Silver PG one-shot using only one hand.

Only dodging the last wave of the Amber spheres for smooth turning did I need to use two hands.

L2P problem, sorry. It literally takes 1 hand.
Should make you have to pass gold to do normal dungeons in Legion. Endless for RF.
When I heal on my priest in LFR I still just go into melee and holy nova spam.

LFR is LFR. I'd earn gold easily and still do it.