The Amount of Reserving Loot in Group Finder.

General Discussion
Is too damn high.

I'm just trying to find runs in parts of the raid I didn't already run on Tuesday. and yet, the last 6 groups that I looked at had gear reserved, ranging from a single tier piece [multiple listings of this], to a weapon and trinket, to "all holy pally gear, tank trinket, and healing trinket", and so on.

Its ridiculous. You are not soloing the raid folks, if you want to assign gear, a pug is not the place for it. A guild running some form of loot council is.

It isn't just a matter of "Don't join it if the gear you want is reserved" either. See, what happens is, Mr. Ret Pally raid leader reserves say, his tier piece and a strength ring and a strength trinket. Okay. I'm an Elemental Shaman, so I shouldn't care, right? WRONG! Because what happens is, no strength users in their right minds will join that group at this point. Okay, so maybe a small amount that already have that gear, but overall, that group is going to fill with casters and agi users.

Suddenly, even though my gear is not reserved, the group has 4 hunters, 4 shamans, 2 rogues, 2 warlocks, 4 mages, 1 monk, and 2 priests. + The tanks and a couple geared out DKs.

My chances of winning any caster loot, tier included, just shot way down because this group isn't even close to having a balanced composition. Its now overloaded with people who can't use the reserved loot.

Ugh.

Final Note: Yeah, I know, their group, their rules, and if I have a problem with that, make my own group. I'm just ranting at how absurd reserving in pugs is and how common it seems to be in the group finder.
One nice change is that BoEs are now personal loot. I recently saw a group saying they were all reserved and just laughing to myself - I know if I pugged in a group like that and had a BoE drop, I'd laugh the moment the raid leader requested it, then either drop group or wait for them to boot me.

I can get behind groups reserving a few pieces, but seriously, some are just ridiculous about what they're asking for.
11/25/2015 12:03 PMPosted by Rottersworth
I can get behind groups reserving a few pieces, but seriously, some are just ridiculous about what they're asking for.

I can understand if its 80% a guild group and they needed to pug a few people to get started, but if its 90% a pug group, nah, reserves suck. Maybe if its small stuff like rings or necklaces.
what's wrong with making your own group and enforcing your own rules?
11/25/2015 12:08 PMPosted by Battleangel

Mostly I've only been back for 2.5 weeks [unsubbed when 6.2 hit] and I understand MY role but wouldn't be comfortable leading a group yet. Nothing is wrong with making your own group, I'm more or less just ranting.
People need to stop joining their groups so they stop making them. Problem is, people don't care because it doesn't affect them.

PS if you understand your role, that's good enough. I have yet to meet a competent pug leader who knew anything beyond their role, and that has always been questionable too.
I really want the bow off Manny (h), and was thinking or making my own group so I could improve my shot at it. Why not? The thing is, if you reserve too much, you won't get those folks to come help. If I were to do this, my list of hunter / ranged to invite would be sorely lacking.

I don't join groups who have stuff on reserve that I need - it's really that simple.
They're going to the effort of forming the group and leading it, something evidently you can't be bothered to do.

Why is it a problem that they're reserving loot for themselves for going to the effort which others won't? I have to admit the one where you say all pally loot is reserved is pretty off the wall but in general, reserving a few items is fine.
11/25/2015 11:58 AMPosted by Aivlia
all holy pally gear

Which is basically every plate item since the primary stat changes based on your spec.

11/25/2015 12:36 PMPosted by Joynal
Why is it a problem that they're reserving loot for themselves for going to the effort which others won't?

Because the effort is not all theirs. If they need to pug a group to down a boss, then everyone who helped should have an equal chance at the loot. Without their help, there would be no loot in the first place.
11/25/2015 12:36 PMPosted by Joynal
They're going to the effort of forming the group and leading it, something evidently you can't be bothered to do.

Why is it a problem that they're reserving loot for themselves for going to the effort which others won't? I have to admit the one where you say all pally loot is reserved is pretty off the wall but in general, reserving a few items is fine.

Listing a group in the group finder, wow so much effort. They deserve all the loot.

Besides, according to the post, the problem isn't "The group leader wants one or two pieces", it's that multiple class items are being reserved for the leader and his buddies.

In any case the solution is to simply not support that kind of loot distribution by not joining the raid.
I understand, I felt like this last night looking through all the Soc groups with tier and trinket reserved. Then I thought maybe I should make a group and reserve that like them, but that would only be perpetuating the cycle. So we can be the change OP and make PL groups. Perhaps we'll get all sorts of competent people who are also not joining these ML groups.

There's like 3% of the WoW population that is competent enough to lead raids.

I mean it's possible to do that but it's not always practical.
I've saw things as ridiculous as ''all hunter gear and tier gear on res for guild''. It's just silly, if you put 90% of the drops on res you should better try to make a core group in your guild instead of looking for strangers to carry you.

PL should be the default non optional loot mode for LFG, in the moment you list your group in group finder BOOM! you are PL and you can't swith unless 100% of the people in the group agree.

Want the old school master looter? make a group in the old school way.
11/25/2015 11:58 AMPosted by Aivlia
Final Note: Yeah, I know, their group, their rules, and if I have a problem with that, make my own group. I'm just ranting at how absurd reserving in pugs is and how common it seems to be in the group finder.

You know the solution. It sucks but they aren't breaking any rules and as long as people willingly run in groups like that it'll continue.
I completely agree with this post. It's ridiculous to reserve loot for what is entirely a group effort.
In my opinion loot should NEVER be reserved in a pug.
I could say that in my last 5-6 HFC pugs in which Master Loot was used in order to reserve gear, only 1 did it correctly, another was inneficient but fair, however in more than half of those efforts I've seen loot being ninja'ed away with no regard at all to what he/she was doing.

Now, when I step into a raid where Master Loot is being used, I expect a ninja to occur, I'm no longer surprised. Here are some examples:

1. "ML warrior tier on reserve" - proceeds to take all plate items the warrior needs
2. "When we get to the boss, I will say if anything is on reserve" - proceeds to ninja something he forgot to "reserve".

This is becoming a trend, and it's making raiding outside of guilds all more intolerable.
11/25/2015 12:03 PMPosted by Rottersworth
One nice change is that BoEs are now personal loot. I recently saw a group saying they were all reserved and just laughing to myself - I know if I pugged in a group like that and had a BoE drop, I'd laugh the moment the raid leader requested it, then either drop group or wait for them to boot me.

How in the hell are BoE's from personal loot reserved? That is 100% retarded. Whoever gave them the reserved BoE in observation of this "loot rule" is also 100% retarded.
Reserving loot is ninjaing loot. Telling someone you are going to ninja their loot before you do it does not make it ok.

I don't join raids that reserve loot, and I don't reserve loot, ever. I am always amazed when new people join our raids and the first thing they ask is "What's on reserve?". When we tell them nothing, they are often surprised.

If people are kind enough to help us out when we are short handed, how could we be rude enough to turn around and tell them they don't deserve to share in the rewards of our efforts?

What really gets me is when they tell you about the reserves after the invite. A while ago a friend asked me to help heal his new guild's run in HFC. I didn't really want to go, or have time to, but he kept asking, so I finally agreed. I got my Holy Pally all set up, flew out to HFC, flasked up, ate, runed, ect., got ready for the pull.....and the RL whispers me, "By the way, I'm taking all Pally loot, you don't get to roll on anything."

The nerve of the guy! They couldn't get people to join in the group finder with all their reserve rules, so they started inviting people and telling them about the reserves right before the pulls!
I usually don't join groups with reserve loot, either, however I don't really care what they want to reserve. I'm not all up and arms about reserving loot, mostly 'cause I simply just don't care about being the best geared. However, I did help a friend, get a trinket, back in Cata. It was so late in the expansion, the trinket was worthless, but he'd been farming it all expansion. So, out of the kindness of my heart, we reserved that trinket for him. So, I understand and get the concept. I rarely do it, though. The story does have a happy ending, he did get his trinket, for the sake of saying he "got" it.