Orc and Draenei Demon Hunters

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 11 Next
While in lore there are non elf demon hunters but however, the numbers on them are so very few that it doesn't really make them feasible as an option unless they magically multiplied in massive numbers or other races become more accepting of using demonic power before Burning Crusade.
12/22/2015 01:27 PMPosted by Kashalie

The absence of evidence for Orc and Draenei Demon Hunters is not the evidence of absence. Those representatives of these races in the Illidari have both the motive to receive and opportunity to be offered training in this regard, the same as any Blood Elf. Doesn't need to bend the lore at all.

It's all about art assets. And that's fine. Elves are more iconic in the role (even if the lore had to be bent for Night Elves), and given how arduous their implementation is going to be, they're the obvious choice. All I'm trying to say is that you don't really have a leg to stand on if you're saying that the lore would prevent these races from being demon hunters. It would actually be one of the more logical race/class combinations in the game.

We have evidence of absence. You can go to Shadowmoon and visually confirm that every single demon hunter being trained is a blood elf. That's pretty convincing evidence that orcs and Draenei aren't being trained. It would take a pretty ridiculous suspension of disbelief to think that all the non-blood elf trainees were just hiding.
12/22/2015 01:38 PMPosted by Barrèx
12/22/2015 01:34 PMPosted by Kashalie

It didn't need to be "stated." You played through the journey. The only other Night Elf to "follow" Illidan to Outland was Maiev. Illidan didn't exactly have time to gather allies - he was completely alone when a happenstance encounter with Blood Elves and Naga freed him from Maiev. Again, no Night Elves.

Then by that logic, there should only be Night Elf and Blood Elf Demon Hunters because there was never shown to be Demon Hunters of other races apart of the Illidari.

My point still stands. No matter how implausible you think it is, it was possible for Illidan to bring Night Elf followers into Outlands. There was no retcon.

Explain the "plausible" part to me. Work it into this chain of events.

Link 1: Malfurion lets Illidan go free, on the promise that he never interferes with Night Elves again. Illidan immediately creates and goes through a portal to Outland alone.
Link 2: Maiev follows as the portal closes behind her in order to capture him. She succeeds.
Link 3: Kael'thas and Vashj, who also fled to Outland fleeing the Alliance and Night Elves respectively, happen upon the scene and free Illidan.
Link 4: Illidan severs ties with Azeroth and establishes his role as the Lord of Outland.

Where do the Night Elf followers plausibly fit in?
12/22/2015 01:44 PMPosted by Kashalie
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Then by that logic, there should only be Night Elf and Blood Elf Demon Hunters because there was never shown to be Demon Hunters of other races apart of the Illidari.

My point still stands. No matter how implausible you think it is, it was possible for Illidan to bring Night Elf followers into Outlands. There was no retcon.

Link 1: Malfurion lets Illidan go free, on the promise that he never interferes with Night Elves again. Illidan immediately creates and goes through a portal to Outland alone.
Link 2: Maiev follows as the portal closes behind her in order to capture him. She succeeds.
Link 3: Kael'thas and Vashj, who also fled to Outland fleeing the Alliance and Night Elves respectively, happen upon the scene and free Illidan.
Link 4: Illidan severs ties with Azeroth and establishes his role as the Lord of Outland.

I explained that in my post, but I think you missed my edit. I'll repeat myself:

"I don't even see why you don't think it's possible. Night Elf villages were being burned. Surely other Demon Hunters could have learned of the chase that was going on, and managed to get to Illidan before he left."
12/22/2015 10:01 AMPosted by Phlynch
12/22/2015 09:28 AMPosted by Nemestrïnus
ok, i see the point your trying to make, but the actual reason behind no non-elf demon hunters really is "because lore!" since illidan himself didnt train anyone other than elves to become demon hunters, and that is what we are, illidan's elite demon hunter squad. we arent just some random lackey from the illidari, we are hand picked warriors trained personally by illidan

The only people we see Illidan training are blood elves, so Nelf illidari is already a retcon.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Alandien Says hi!
12/22/2015 01:41 PMPosted by Jaryndren
While in lore there are non elf demon hunters but however, the numbers on them are so very few that it doesn't really make them feasible as an option unless they magically multiplied in massive numbers or other races become more accepting of using demonic power before Burning Crusade.

That's not completely relevant. Only relevant in the sense that other races can indeed become Demon Hunters. That being said, we can only speak from the POV of the Illidari, of the only playable races therein are the Orcs and Draenei.

Humans or Pandaren or Trolls would be ridiculous given the story that makes the class available to us. We're not starting off in Northshire or the Den of Trials, after all.
12/22/2015 01:46 PMPosted by Berkus
12/22/2015 10:01 AMPosted by Phlynch
The only people we see Illidan training are blood elves, so Nelf illidari is already a retcon.

And she and the few others in Outland are a retcon from TFT.
12/22/2015 01:38 PMPosted by Barrèx

Demon hunters are dark, shadowy warriors who are shunned by the greater night elf society. They made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it. These mysterious warriors ritually blind themselves so that they develop 'spectral sight' that enables them to see demons and undead with greater clarity. They wield demonically charged warblades in battle and even call upon demonic energies to augment their formidable combat skills. Although they are counted as some of the mightiest warriors within the night elves' society, the demon hunters are always maligned and misunderstood for making their selfless pact with darkness.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Demon_hunter
12/22/2015 01:47 PMPosted by Kashalie
12/22/2015 01:41 PMPosted by Jaryndren

That's not completely relevant. Only relevant in the sense that other races can indeed become Demon Hunters. That being said, we can only speak from the POV of the Illidari, of the only playable races therein are the Orcs and Draenei.

Humans or Pandaren or Trolls would be ridiculous given the story that makes the class available to us. We're not starting off in Northshire or the Den of Trials, after all.

The training would break you lesser races, on top of that Illidan only trained Elves to be Demon Hunters and the ones we are playing in Legion are the small group he trained that were sent away in the battle of Black Temple and then imprisoned by the Wardens.
12/22/2015 01:48 PMPosted by Kashalie

Again, if you want to call that a retcon then by that logic, letting other races be Demon Hunters of the Illidari is a retcon too. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm surprised you keep stating this.
Once again just read the story behind playing DH's in Legion. It really does not spoil anything unless you look at the actual quests. You are one of his and he only had nelf and belf demon hunters. As said it is possible for another race to become a DH but you have to find one willing to train you first and it is a heck of a task to undergo. We are not talking Death Knight's here, Arthas had that covered.

Becoming a DH is not near as simple.

Lmao whine some more space goat

I explained that in my post, but I think you missed my edit. I'll repeat myself:

"I don't even see why you don't think it's possible. Night Elf villages were being burned. Surely other Demon Hunters could have learned of the chase that was going on, and managed to get to Illidan before he left."

We saw the chain of events, though. Saw the portal open and close. Saw the rescue. No Night Elven intervention.
12/22/2015 01:52 PMPosted by Kashalie

We saw the chain of events, though. Saw the portal open and close. Saw the rescue. No Night Elven intervention.

Maybe because they were with the Naga at the time?

My point still stands. I'm not entirely against having other races be Demon Hunters, but you're going against your own logic here.
12/22/2015 01:50 PMPosted by Berkus

Demon hunters are dark, shadowy warriors who are shunned by the greater night elf society. They made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it. These mysterious warriors ritually blind themselves so that they develop 'spectral sight' that enables them to see demons and undead with greater clarity. They wield demonically charged warblades in battle and even call upon demonic energies to augment their formidable combat skills. Although they are counted as some of the mightiest warriors within the night elves' society, the demon hunters are always maligned and misunderstood for making their selfless pact with darkness.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Demon_hunter

Not relevant in the slightest.

They exist. Just not in Outland with Illidan. One of the Azerothian Demon Hunters (Loramus?) even mentions Illidan as "lost."
If I were a Blood Elf or a Night Elf DH I would never train another race. I have my pride.
12/22/2015 01:56 PMPosted by Twily
If I were a Blood Elf or a Night Elf DH I would never train another race. I have my pride.

Illidan is beyond pride, at least when it comes to the pursuit of increasing their powerbase. In fact, all demon hunters are. Their pact with the enemy lends itself to that. They may be haughty and arrogant, but they're not petty. They're pragmatists.

So, just to be clear, you want us to believe that Illidan was secretly training Draenei and Orcs as demon hunters even though we not only see zero evidence, but can actually see for ourselves that every single demon hunter trainee is a blood elf, and yet you believe it takes a retcon to believe that Illidan's demon hunter allies from Azeroth could have found their way to Outland even though portals between those worlds seem to be possible.