What is the worst ritual in WoW?

Story Forum
Just an idea for a discussion, but what do you think is the worst ritual in WoW?

This could range from rites of passage to join an orc clan, or some magic ritual to obtain power.

My personal one is the Bleeding Hollow's ritual, the removal of an eye for a vision of your own death, real talk for a second, I am absolutely piss scared of dying, knowing exactly when I would die would be horrifying for me, not to mention having to remove my own eye for it.
Shattered hand? They don't even get anything out of it... they just get to look like the Captain Crazypants leader they have.
I'd say it's a toss up between the resurrection of a new Forsaken or the fel-feeding of a Demon Hunter.

I'm not sure how much of a ritual you'd count becoming a Forsaken as, and in calm situations it seems relatively painless. But the end result is to go from an afterlife to suddenly existing as a rotting corpse with psychosis and color blindness.

On the other hand, a Demon Hunter gets to chomp down on fel juice and then feel his body warp, twist and change. He gets to ride a long series of corrupting changes to his body and feel himself become something monstrous. Oh, and his eyes get gouged out so he can relearn to see.
I'd say that distinction probably goes to the Elunite and Hakkari rituals that include providing living sacrifices on altars dedicated to their respective gods.
12/02/2015 10:34 AMPosted by Kaynab
Shattered hand? They don't even get anything out of it... they just get to look like the Captain Crazypants leader they have.

They gain access to,... BADARSERY!
Remember when we started WoD and Draenei were being thrown into a blood-pit so that their life forces could power the Dark Portal?

That was pretty nasty.
Anyone remember the pit of bones where Rattlegore was born in original Scholomance?

The corpses of thousands of failed students, uncounted buried from years past, and the citizens of Caer Darrow.

Another terrifying one is the one that produced Thaddius. The bodies and souls of thousands of Lordaeron dead, churned and combined and liquified, then filled into the mold for a flesh giant who is in eternal torment .
I'd say the worst have to do with using multiple souls. Thaddius is completely disgusting, and binding the souls of women and children to him/it is probably the most terrible thing I've heard of in Warcraft.

12/02/2015 10:45 AMPosted by Kellick
I'd say that distinction probably goes to the Elunite and Hakkari rituals that include providing living sacrifices on altars dedicated to their respective gods.

Elunite meaning of Elune? I don't recall any living sacrifices for her.
12/02/2015 10:54 AMPosted by Shadowrath
I'd say the worst have to do with using multiple souls. Thaddius is completely disgusting, and binding the souls of women and children to him/it is probably the most terrible thing I've heard of in Warcraft.

12/02/2015 10:45 AMPosted by Kellick

Elunite meaning of Elune? I don't recall any living sacrifices for her.

You sacfice a bunch of demons to her in the Elune quests in Desolace. They were very much alive.
12/02/2015 10:57 AMPosted by Vesiana
You sacfice a bunch of demons to her in the Elune quests in Desolace. They were very much alive.

"But those are demons, so it can't be wrong! Truly, this was a good act." is what I imagine the response to this to be.
Whatever "soul magics" Gul'dan did in Black Rook Hold look pretty nasty. Ravencrest's ghost is constantly reliving the War of the Ancients, there's a Marrowgar-style amalgam of souls, and it sounds like undead are plaguing the Gilnean town nearby.
12/02/2015 10:54 AMPosted by Shadowrath

That's a fair point. I was mostly trying to stick with rituals performed by members of playable races (which technically rules out the Hakkari, but I'm willing to include it since it seems plausible the Darkspear may have at one point engaged in similar practices, which they gave up upon joining the Horde, much like cannibalism).
12/02/2015 11:00 AMPosted by Thelamas

"But those are demons, so it can't be wrong! Truly, this was a good act." is what I imagine the response to this to be.

But the quest specifically said enemies of Elune, and the demons "happened" to fit.

Not to mention the horrific "bind the priesthoods spirits to azeroth so they can worship her even in death" that questchain shows
12/02/2015 11:00 AMPosted by Thelamas

I didn't say it wasn't a good act. Only that they were alive, killed, and their flesh sacrificed.
What Krastinov did to the servants in Scholomance in the pursuit of furthering Necromancy has always bothered me a lot.
12/02/2015 11:40 AMPosted by Enoshe
What Krastinov did to the servants in Scholomance in the pursuit of furthering Necromancy has always bothered me a lot.

I never found the Scourge particularly gruesome, but Scholo was.
12/02/2015 10:52 AMPosted by Vesiana
Anyone remember the pit of bones where Rattlegore was born in original Scholomance?

The corpses of thousands of failed students, uncounted buried from years past, and the citizens of Caer Darrow.

Another terrifying one is the one that produced Thaddius. The bodies and souls of thousands of Lordaeron dead, churned and combined and liquified, then filled into the mold for a flesh giant who is in eternal torment .

This is perfect.

I honestly can't believe no one else mentioned either of these. Sure, Thaddius was focused on more, but the creation of Rattlegore was just as disturbing...
To cite one that has severity based in the disastrous chain of events that followed it, the drinking of Mannoroth's blood at the Throne of Kil'jaeden, which pretty much kicked off the final slaughter of the Draenei at Shattrath, the blood haze that was monumentally key in the Orcs' hostility in the First and Second Wars, and the shackling of almost an entire race to the demons.

Perhaps not as gruesome, frightening, or even morally ambiguous as some of the individual rituals mentioned to this point, but I think it bears some mention due to it's historical significance.
12/02/2015 10:52 AMPosted by Vesiana

This is definitely the one, for me. You also forgot to mention the part where it was mostly, if not completely, women and children that make up his fleshy form. This just shows the horrible, indiscriminate evil the Cult of the Damned and the Scourge were capable of. They took the innocent citizens and tormented families of Lordaeron and turned them into a monstrous amalgamation of flesh and tormented souls.

If you think about it, most of the children that make up Thaddeus were probably taken around the same time. An entire generation of Lordaeron was lost to the depredation of the Scourge, and subjected to a fate worse than death.