Spriest Artifact Lore Implications.

Story Forum
As many of you already know come Legion player shadowpriests will be wielding an ancient sacrificial knife made from the severed claw of an old god. And in warcraft item's of the great old ones are..alive in a sense, an extension of the Old God's being or their will. Maybe shadowpriest's using the blade is not directly contacting it, but even if the black blade is the whisper of an echo of whatever patron saint of eldritch horror the weapon willingly helps you.

In the quest chain once you fight a twilight cultist using the blade to revive a fallen old god monster. You fight him, you beat him, and then the blade turns on him devouring his soul while basically saying he was weak but the shadowpriest seems worthy enough to wield it. Picking up the evil dagger it whispers in the players ear about how excited it is to bring unimaginable mind rending horror to the pitiful "Fallen Titan's" minions.

So that leads to my discussion. A piece of an old god is willingly helping defend azeroth against the burning legion's invasion. That leads to one of 3 possible reasons.

1: The Old god that the dagger came from in it's own very twisted and evil way actually cares about azeroth and it's people..even if it is just a "If I can't blow up the world than no one can!" way.

2: The shadow priest is just a pawn of the blade's desires and this is yet another very convoluted plan for the old god to escape prison.

3: It's a mutual relationship of using each other. The blade gets to stretch it's tentacles..spread some shadowy madness, and absorb power while the shadow priest gets a super weapon.
Watching the vid i thought it was mostly 3. Blade eats void energy, Blade thinks player will take it to powerful Void monsters to eat.
I'd have to agree with you, but blizzard said the old gods will be up to their usual no good in legion.

Who Knows? Maybe will see faceless ones slapping demons helping us. Who knows!? IT'S CHAOS.
12/07/2015 08:30 PMPosted by Morbent
I'd have to agree with you, but blizzard said the old gods will be up to their usual no good in legion.

Who Knows? Maybe will see faceless ones slapping demons helping us. Who knows!? IT'S CHAOS.

The enemy of my enemy, is my friend.
12/07/2015 08:44 PMPosted by Zåx
The enemy of my enemy is delicious.
Sigh.

Necrophotic parasites.

Dead "having to do with the light" (rough translation, but it's not actually dead light as people say).

Old Gods are the sum of dead souls (willpower) fused together to create Old Gods.

This is why Titans created a bunch of different afterlives. It keeps the souls separated. Sargeras is a threat because fel links souls to a place where they don't die..
Not really a fan of the tentacle monster direction for shadow priests. WTB a DPS spec that uses holy magic.
On the subject of the dagger. Is this the first in game reference to the black empire? It doesn't mean much either way but it pricked my ears hearing it for the first time since the Mists launch event
12/07/2015 08:57 PMPosted by Lena
Not really a fan of the tentacle monster direction for shadow priests. WTB a DPS spec that uses holy magic.

A curse upon her and her kind almighty great ones! Tentacle chins for you, your children, and your children's children!

The black empire is just a reference to the time before the titan's where the old gods ruled and up was down, time had no meaning and their were blood rivers that pooled into the sky...good times..good times..
Simply put. The Old gods notoriously hate the Titans and everything about them. It's not unfeasible to imagine that to the Old Gods, the Legion are just more tools of yet another Titan. A titan who dislikes the other Titans, but a Titan nonetheless.
12/07/2015 09:00 PMPosted by Shippyship
On the subject of the dagger. Is this the first in game reference to the black empire? It doesn't mean much either way but it pricked my ears hearing it for the first time since the Mists launch event

I think it is, yes.

I also noticed while I was rewatching the priest video yesterday that the dwarf you're with says the dagger was used by Mogdud to curse Grim Batol. So that's cool, tying it into known past events.

12/07/2015 09:04 PMPosted by Harmarth
Simply put. The Old gods notoriously hate the Titans and everything about them. It's not unfeasible to imagine that to the Old Gods, the Legion are just more tools of yet another Titan. A titan who dislikes the other Titans, but a Titan nonetheless.

Basically, yeah. The dagger even says something along the lines of he can't wait to feast on the fallen Titans' minions.
I also noticed while I was rewatching the priest video yesterday that the dwarf you're with says the dagger was used by Mogdud to curse Grim Batol. So that's cool, tying it into known past events.

So it's the Dagger that corrupted Grim Batol?

And we're bringing it to a holy shrine?
12/08/2015 07:19 AMPosted by Ximothy

So it's the Dagger that corrupted Grim Batol?

And we're bringing it to a holy shrine?

To eat the Void from a void god, no less!
Filled with some of the best priests in the world, and assumedly the other two artifacts.

I think if C'thun grew legs and sat on the shrine himself he'd still have trouble corrupting it.
12/08/2015 07:30 AMPosted by Neutralwalu
assumedly the other two artifacts

Depends what order you get it in. You can get the Dagger first.

I think if C'thun grew legs and sat on the shrine himself he'd still have trouble corrupting it.

But at least that's a visable threat.

The Dagger is too willing to work for us. I don't trust that it's not slowly corrupting the shrine.
Filled with some of the best priests in the world, and assumedly the other two artifacts.

Death Wing had a very similar, "That couldn't happen to me." attitude.

Just saying.
12/07/2015 08:44 PMPosted by Zåx

The enemy of my enemy, "...is tall, dark and ugly." - Charlie Vane