ban wave today

Arenas
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
7 pages of ban posts on "their" forums so far

http://imgur.com/gallery/meftV0q
12/16/2015 11:51 AMPosted by Faydeez
why only 6 months..... blizz your getting greedy

So, here's the thing.

Through various studies (conducted both here at Blizzard and by other companies/groups), and by monitoring player behavior, we've discovered that suspensions are actually more effective than permabans for preventing repeat offenses by the same people.

There's some really interesting sociological hocus pocus behind it, but from what I understand, the TLDR is that if a botter gets permabanned, they'll often just buy a new account and go right back to botting. However, if we only suspend them -- meaning, they'll get their account back later -- they're less likely to buy a new one. Furthermore, once they do get their account back, they're EXTREMELY unlikely to bot again.

I'm not a psychology expert, but there's something about "I'll get this account back later" that leads more of these sorts of people to give up their botting ways than if their accounts had been permanently closed. It's kind of fascinating (at least I find it to be).

Side note: please avoid referencing bot programs directly by name, you're only making it easier for people to find them!
Highly Rated
12/16/2015 02:06 PMPosted by Lore

So, here's the thing.

Through various studies (conducted both here at Blizzard and by other companies/groups), and by monitoring player behavior, we've discovered that suspensions are actually more effective than permabans for preventing repeat offenses by the same people.

There's some really interesting sociological hocus pocus behind it, but from what I understand, the TLDR is that if a botter gets permabanned, they'll often just buy a new account and go right back to botting. However, if we only suspend them -- meaning, they'll get their account back later -- they're less likely to buy a new one. Furthermore, once they do get their account back, they're EXTREMELY unlikely to bot again.

I'm not a psychology expert, but there's something about "I'll get this account back later" that leads more of these sorts of people to give up their botting ways than if their accounts had been permanently closed. It's kind of fascinating (at least I find it to be).

Side note: please avoid referencing bot programs directly by name, you're only making it easier for people to find them!

Thank you Lore. You've been a real help to us as a community and we really appreciate your openness and communication with us.

Edit: Could we maybe remove Pvp titles from players that violated ToS?

So, here's the thing.

And what about the titles bots stole? can you give an update on if you will do anything?
While I don't agree with 6 month bans (since they will be around for start of legion) It should have been slightly more so they would be like oh man just missed start of the expansion because i was botting, definately not risking it again.

I'm happy about the 18 month ban though, seeing those tears on those forums.

"I cant play because i have a busy life"
"GG no point making new account if i cant bot in pvp"
"How the $(*&@ am i suppose to make gold now"

Just astounds me
thank you Lore! You've been a real help to us as a community and I really appreciate your openness and communication with us.

The ban wave is really nice.

Only disappointing thing is that it was after titles were distributed.
suspensions are actually more effective than permabans for preventing repeat offenses by the same people.

So let me get this straight. You just want them to resub rather than banning players that are ruining the game? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but to me that just seems like all blizzard cares about is cash flow.

However, if we only suspend them -- meaning, they'll get their account back later -- they're less likely to buy a new one.

Question: Is banning an IP address technologically possible? If so, why hasn't this been done yet?
suspensions are actually more effective than permabans for preventing repeat offenses by the same people.

So let me get this straight. You just want them to resub rather than banning players that are ruining the game? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but to me that just seems like all blizzard cares about is cash flow.

The game is super cheap now to pick up and you get a free 100 from it, if anyone does get banned they can pretty much come back the next day with a fresh 100 and start again...vs someone whos just risked his main that his been playing for a couple years, I doubt they would risk it again after a 18 month ban

Question: Is banning an IP address technologically possible? If so, why hasn't this been done yet?

Its super easy to get around an IP ban these days, it does next to nothing
Thanks for the response, Lore. Any banwave is a good banwave, but any headway on the more legitimate issues of LUA hackers, scripters and win-traders? I can't say I care if my AV has a half dozen automations in it. I GREATLY care when every RBG team I fight above a certain rating has nothing but scripters, fly and wall-hackers, and DDoS brigades.

+1 on the banwave but you're not even close to done
12/16/2015 02:09 PMPosted by Raazorls
And what about the titles bots stole? can you give an update on if you will do anything?

I thought they mentioned that they remove titles/mounts/equipment if they were caught botting.

Can't quote the locked General Discussion post but here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20043056691

As a part of this action, we have removed various currencies and inventory from these accounts including, but not limited to, gold, PvP currencies, and gear. The penalty for those identified as repeat offenders has also been increased.

It's vague, but I couldn't imagine that these botters would keep their titles. Hopefully Lore can clear up that question as well.

If Blizzard only cared about the cash, it is in Blizzard's interest to ban them outright where they are likely to buy another copy of the game and pay for subscription starting now -- not just the subscription 6+ months from now.

Reading Comprehension, have you heard of it?

Banning causes more botters to just buy another account.

Suspensions cause more botters to reform their ways.
Furthermore, once they do get their account back, they're EXTREMELY unlikely to bot again.

It would be an interesting statistic to see what percentage of this most recent ban wave were repeat offenders, but I guess we'll never know. :)
12/16/2015 02:13 PMPosted by Feyrae

I thought they mentioned that they remove titles/mounts/equipment if they were caught botting.

im talking about the people who should of been in range of titles but were out of range because botters were not DQ'd.

There were plenty of people who botted / piloted who received titles.
coming from a courier challenger.
Seen banwave
Logged in my main hoping to get glad since I was 1-2 points off
No glad rip
:(

So, here's the thing.