Getting the Most out of the Forums

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
Please use the search feature that is within the site. This should hopefully help you find already existing threads on a topic of interest. While a post may not directly violate the Code of Conduct, it may be removed for being a repeat topic. Unfortunately, with enough repeat topics, new topics can quickly and easily be drowned out and we’d like to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to share their thoughts and viewpoints with others. By searching for a topic and adding to it instead of creating your own, you can help keep information organized for us, and keep the front page from scrolling so quickly with repeat topics for everyone else.

The search feature would get more use if it wasn't terrible. It requires prior knowledge of an overly complicated set of parameters that all must be typed in by the searcher. And of course the irony is that to find these parameters you must first know them and use the search feature.

Until it is made use friendly (like the old forums) you will not see many people using it effectively and duplicate threads will continue to plague the forums.

I am going to ask this question since it was posed in another thread that will most likely be deleted:

Why are entire topics that get hijacked getting deleted when it's just the toxic parts of the responses ("l2p baddie" "just quit already" for example) that need to be deleted? I've seen a few threads that were made rather eloquently get hijacked by the toxic WoW community (on both sides of the debate) and then promptly destroyed. By destroyed, I mean the whole thing got deleted--good OP and toxic responses.

Is it the fault of the current BB software you're using? If so, you've made a bad decision on the software you needed to use considering this community.

Deleting posts certainly isn't the way to win arguments.

I agree entirely with this poster, delete the post, not the thread.
Just to follow-up with everyone. We are always looking at ways to improve communications and moderation. We will continue to lock threads and delete as we feel are necessary, but will try to be better about communicating why a post was locked. Please do not create new posts asking why.

We appreciate the constructive feedback on ways we can improve the forum search feature among other things and will relay that feedback to the appropriate people.

This thread was simply meant as a means to remind everyone of the Code of Conduct and Guidelines and open up a better dialogue with you all on the current state of the forums. While we understand that everyone wants an answer, or to voice their ideas, we want to make sure that we make it known that we can only answer so much before we are simply repeating ourselves and that if you truly want to be heard, doing so in an existing thread is far better than creating a new thread. We read through a lot in a day and even if you don't see us actively answering something that day or even a couple of days later, does not mean we aren't discussing this here. (Though we try to at least make our presence known even if it seems non-productive to you.)

We could jump in every thread we see and say, "we hear you" but we know that doing so isn't the comfort to everyone that they would think it to be. There is always someone who doesn't like to read (as evidenced on this thread) that "we hear you" because they want action not words. Our actions are slow. Answers take time as does development. If you want us to "fix" things, we all need to be patient. What some may think is a solution, may not be the solution they think. World of Warcraft (as I've said in the past) has a lot of moving parts. It's never as easy as adding "X" or "Y" and calling it good. It's all interwoven and we have to be careful we don't pluck at the wrong thread and unravel it all.

We've also noticed that a lot of people are missing information that we've been putting out on the front page/blog. This is a great place to find more information on topics and we'll continue to find ways to deliver interesting information there for you. We also flag Blizzard posts for tracking here on the forums. Everyone can see them all off of the index page of the forum. We'll continue to find ways to make these more evident as well as make everyone more aware of what we're doing on the blog . We'll keep doing what we can to get the word out and appreciate everyone that has taken the time to post here. We know you wouldn't be here posting one way or another if you didn't care. We care too and will continue to find ways to do better.
02/03/2011 8:26 AMPosted by Nethaera

We could jump in every thread we see and say, "we hear you" but we know that doing so isn't the comfort to everyone that they would think it to be.

As unfortunate as this sounds, it would be appreciated for those of us who really are concerned with the looming 4.0.6 patch. There's plenty of posts in the PTR forums who would at least like their worries to be acknowledged and validated. Even a simple copy/paste reply with promises to send the feedback to designers would be welcome, as long as it actually happened.
We've also noticed that a lot of people are missing information that we've been putting out on the front page/blog.

I don't understand why you don't "cut and paste" your blog post into the relevent forum as well. It also makes for better discussion.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback.

We could jump in every thread we see and say, "we hear you" but we know that doing so isn't the comfort to everyone that they would think it to be.

While this is a bit much, I would imagine people would feel "better" if there was a "thread read by Blizzard" tag. This could easily be automated on your end and provide reassurance that at least the points were looked at.
I don't understand why you don't "cut and paste" your blog post into the relevent forum as well. It also makes for better discussion.

We're trying to avoid splitting the conversation as much as possible. The idea would be to have people talk with us there on those blog posts rather than splitting up the conversation into additional threads as well as trying to make sure that the information is visible to as many people as possible. We're working on ways we can better direct people to these though and highlight them so that they aren't missed.

While this is a bit much, I would imagine people would feel "better" if there was a "thread read by Blizzard" tag. This could easily be automated on your end and provide reassurance that at least the points were looked at.

This suggestion has come up before, but it has its own issues as well that make it a less than advantageous feature.
I think we need more information regarding the developer's vision for 4.0.6. As it stands, I really don't understand how the stated reasons and intentions match the proposed changes.
What would it take to have daily interaction from mods in each of your forums, like you are providing right now in this very forum?

Many of us non general forum readers feel left out Blue Sight because a mod has never posted in any of our threads.
my computer is messing up and it will not let me get on it says that. please enable write access to the registry key using an administrator account.
I've said this before: it would certainly help moderation if Blizzard would auto-flag posts that contain filtered words. The forum would see filtered words and flash a warning to the poster stating that the post contains material that has flagged the post for moderation and that deletion or punishment could occur if this is posted BEFORE you are allowed to hit the "submit" button.

And do not tell me this is not possible. There are several other internet websites that do this and I can name them.
We're trying to avoid splitting the conversation as much as possible. The idea would be to have people talk with us there on those blog posts rather than splitting up the conversation into additional threads as well as trying to make sure that the information is visible to as many people as possible. We're working on ways we can better direct people to these though and highlight them so that they aren't missed.

Not to tell you "how to set up your website" but the primary reason the blogs aren't as useful is they:

1) Don't allow for formatting (not even paragraphs if memory serves)
2) Good posts get buried (even if they have 100 replies to it, they still get lost)
3) Don't foster discussion because the "flow" is backwards (you end up reading replies to posts before the actual posts)

I would guess you'd have more success simply posting on the forums for where responses go, and the original post can still be put on the front page.
02/03/2011 8:26 AMPosted by Nethaera
Just to follow-up with everyone. We are always looking at ways to improve communications and moderation. We will continue to lock threads and delete as we feel are necessary, but will try to be better about communicating why a post was locked. Please do not create new posts asking why.

We appreciate the constructive feedback on ways we can improve the forum search feature among other things and will relay that feedback to the appropriate people.

This thread was simply meant as a means to remind everyone of the Code of Conduct and Guidelines and open up a better dialogue with you all on the current state of the forums. While we understand that everyone wants an answer, or to voice their ideas, we want to make sure that we make it known that we can only answer so much before we are simply repeating ourselves and that if you truly want to be heard, doing so in an existing thread is far better than creating a new thread. We read through a lot in a day and even if you don't see us actively answering something that day or even a couple of days later, does not mean we aren't discussing this here. (Though we try to at least make our presence known even if it seems non-productive to you.)

We could jump in every thread we see and say, "we hear you" but we know that doing so isn't the comfort to everyone that they would think it to be. There is always someone who doesn't like to read (as evidenced on this thread) that "we hear you" because they want action not words. Our actions are slow. Answers take time as does development. If you want us to "fix" things, we all need to be patient. What some may think is a solution, may not be the solution they think. World of Warcraft (as I've said in the past) has a lot of moving parts. It's never as easy as adding "X" or "Y" and calling it good. It's all interwoven and we have to be careful we don't pluck at the wrong thread and unravel it all.

We've also noticed that a lot of people are missing information that we've been putting out on the front page/blog. This is a great place to find more information on topics and we'll continue to find ways to deliver interesting information there for you. We also flag Blizzard posts for tracking here on the forums. Everyone can see them all off of the index page of the forum. We'll continue to find ways to make these more evident as well as make everyone more aware of what we're doing on the blog . We'll keep doing what we can to get the word out and appreciate everyone that has taken the time to post here. We know you wouldn't be here posting one way or another if you didn't care. We care too and will continue to find ways to do better.

I get this, but what I don't get is why the complaint threads are deleted or locked far more often than the praise/insult the "QQers" threads are?
For better civil discussion, I would recommend a heroic forum and a non-heroic forum.

Players will always disagree--but from my limited reading, half the posts are "it's easy, l2p noob" or "it's too hard, I don't live in my parent's basement and I can't game all day."

A good example is the ranking of the heroic dungeons post in the damage dealing forums.

There are separate forums for dungeons and PVP; however, there are not separate forums for players of different skill levels. The additional forums would allow players to air their grievances about the difficulty of the game (for or against). It would be easy moderation. A "l2p" comment in the regular forum would result in a ban from that forum. Players posting "it's hard" in a heroic forum would do so at their own risk.
It would be fantastic if you guys put together a "we hear xyz issues, we are focusing on x right now then y, not planning on changing z" blog on a regular basis. Something that's not quite as, ah, "dry witted", as Ghostcrawler's blog.

You have to realize that we get a few posts from you which really don't contain much game future information, and a list of patch notes. Everyone's looking at the patch notes as "what the devs are doing" and thinking "well they aren't fixing xyz, why aren't they addressing xyz???" Even though there may be a plan (or not) people are going to just keep asking about it until we get some feel for what's being done. It would also help for us to know that you are hearing what we are saying by making some sort of summary.

Right now all we really have to go on from blue posts and Ghostcrawler's blog is that you heard the "heroics are hard" and the "tol barad sucks" folks, which are only a subset of the people upset. There are others who have lots of concerns about the direction and content of Cataclysm where heroics aren't even a factor, such as class concerns, quest concerns, healing mechanics, tanking mechanics, talent trees, mastery problems, and the hideous problems with LFD/LFG etc.

At the very least if you could post some sort of "we hear these issues" blog or post about game issues other than the two that have been beaten to death (heroics and tol barad) it would be great.

Thanks for your hard work.