Comcast / Blizzard Disconnecting Issues

Technical Support
I'm having about 3-4 disconnects an hour. Currently on 3rd modem from Comcast and still no improvement. I used Comcast for the tail end of BC (ahh.. good times) and remember the same issues, but I moved and went to another ISP shortly after. Not a single problem for years... I recently moved to a city north of Seattle and my forced return to Comcast has been a dreadful reminder of the bad service blues I thought I had escaped.
I'm really tired of the traceroutes and homework we are given just to hear the same lazy runaround. Comcast shoving responsibility on to Blizzard claiming "If it were Comcast all games and internet would be affected", Blizzard in turn responds "If it were Blizzard everyone would be having problems not just Comcast". Meanwhile all the customers suffer for a lack of real leadership and quality control among these companies.
Well, let's be fair.

You yourself have shown that at least in some cases there can be ISP or hardware issues NOT inside Blizzard that can cause these issues. After all, your moving around the end of BC and not having issues for years then having them return when you return to Comcast after another move shows that unless you are exceedingly unlucky, the issue you had back then was indeed with ISP & path- not Blizzard's owned servers/routers.

By the way, Comcast's statement:

12/24/2015 12:50 PMPosted by Skooma
Comcast shoving responsibility on to Blizzard claiming "If it were Comcast all games and internet would be affected",

shows that at least some of their employees are clueless as to how the internet works- especially their own network. There are almost no possible problems that would take down an entire large scale ISP.

Further, not a week goes by when there isn't some kind of ISP issue somewhere in North America. It's almost never affecting 100% of the ISP customers that play wow etc. Earlier this year Cox took over 30 days to fix a congestion problem that was determined within the first 12hrs of it starting. Verizon recently took close to 30 days to fix a Southern California problem that affected a large number of players- they really didnt want to spend the money to fix the problem because Verizon is leaving all ISP business and had already sold off that area to another ISP.

Thus these problems are very much like playing whack-a-mole. And they have been happening for over 2 decades.

It's up to you if you don't wish to run the tests that provide the best possible first cross check info. It is NOT possible for Blizzard to be certain that testing from their side would result in the exact same path taken from your computer to their servers. Nor would it test your home network and such things. However, without such basic first pass tests we would just have to have you run every other conceivable test, make every possible alteration change, and do so blindly- probably wasting alot of time given how often the problem does turn out to be path related- as your on early experiences proved.
12/24/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Lucylockless
Well, let's be fair.

You yourself have shown that at least in some cases there can be ISP or hardware issues NOT inside Blizzard that can cause these issues. After all, your moving around the end of BC and not having issues for years then having them return when you return to Comcast after another move shows that unless you are exceedingly unlucky, the issue you had back then was indeed with ISP & path- not Blizzard's owned servers/routers.

12/24/2015 12:50 PMPosted by Skooma
Comcast shoving responsibility on to Blizzard claiming "If it were Comcast all games and internet would be affected",

shows that at least some of their employees are clueless as to how the internet works- especially their own network. There are almost no possible problems that would take down an entire large scale ISP.

Further, not a week goes by when there isn't some kind of ISP issue somewhere in North America. It's almost never affecting 100% of the ISP customers that play wow etc. Earlier this year Cox took over 30 days to fix a congestion problem that was determined within the first 12hrs of it starting. Verizon recently took close to 30 days to fix a Southern California problem that affected a large number of players- they really didnt want to spend the money to fix the problem because Verizon is leaving all ISP business and had already sold off that area to another ISP.

Thus these problems are very much like playing whack-a-mole. And they have been happening for over 2 decades.

It's up to you if you don't wish to run the tests that provide the best possible first cross check info. It is NOT possible for Blizzard to be certain that testing from their side would result in the exact same path taken from your computer to their servers. Nor would it test your home network and such things. However, without such basic first pass tests we would just have to have you run every other conceivable test, make every possible alteration change, and do so blindly- probably wasting alot of time given how often the problem does turn out to be path related- as your on early experiences proved.

This entire reply reminds me of a tech response. Someone has read about 1/3 of what I wrote and then made excuses with a dash of troll instead of finding solutions. This is not some hidden problem, any google search will bring up reams of threads all with the same problem, from the same provider, in the same area, using the same hubs all with the same solution: nothing.
Having same issues in Eastern Washington..
Just began late afternoon of Christmas eve....
12/24/2015 09:00 PMPosted by Wolvereenman
Having same issues in Eastern Washington..
Just began late afternoon of Christmas eve....

Merry Christmas from Seattle. Only thing I could recommend is disabling anything that speaks to your modem other than Warcraft. Don't use wifi either. Thier QC departments need to be in communication with one another to help come to a resolution, untill then the pacific northwest will continue to recieve medicore service from both Isp and Blizzard.
12/24/2015 08:41 PMPosted by Skooma
Well, let's be fair.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

This entire reply reminds me of a tech response. Someone has read about 1/3 of what I wrote and then made excuses with a dash of troll instead of finding solutions. This is not some hidden problem, any google search will bring up reams of threads all with the same problem, from the same provider, in the same area, using the same hubs all with the same solution: nothing.

Well, given that you are having a technical problem, would you rather have say a billing department response?

I read 100% of what your wrote. You just decided to assume it was perhaps 1/3. That the conclusions reached didn't sit well with you doesn't mean they are inaccurate, which explains jumping to a conclusion about my trolling- assuming you misused that term. Nor did I say it was a hidden problem. 100% of the problems found this year, as well as other years, have never been hidden. Unless you count not wanting to see the forest for the trees. Of course, not doing diagnostics 101 would of course lead to not "seeing" the cause of problems, which yes could be said to thus be "hidden". There are none so blind as those that choose not to see.

Btw, I quoted fact- you replied with "feelings". Sure, if you had google and seen MILLIONS of issues listed then you could connect your feeling to fact. Since there are MILLIONS of players continuing to play without problems, how would you reconcile that with your feeling? (Even if you had of seen 10,000+ unique posts about the problem, that itself would represent less than 1% of the players).

I also quoted history on things that had happened earlier this year, which lead to people drawing conclusions exactly as you have, and many players were convinced that it was a Blizzard problem. That is until Cox and Verizon (in my 2 examples from many different instances) first acknowledged it was their own issue, after days and even weeks of denial, followed by 60 minute fixes to the issue- of course, 30 days later. With 0 changes by Blizzard.

In any case, as you wish. We will now direct you to try all the least likely things to help you with your problem, leaving the most likely issues to last. Fortunately, others will be more open minded and have their issues resolved much sooner.

Best of luck.
12/24/2015 09:32 PMPosted by Lucylockless
12/24/2015 08:41 PMPosted by Skooma

Well, given that you are having a technical problem, would you rather have say a billing department response?

Btw, I quoted fact- you replied with "feelings". Sure, if you had google and seen MILLIONS of issues listed then you could connect your feeling to fact. Since there are MILLIONS of players continuing to play without problems, how would you reconcile that with your feeling? (If you had of seen 10,000+ unique posts about the problem, that itself would represent less than 1% of the players).

I also quoted history on things that had happened earlier this year, which lead to people drawing conclusions exactly as you have, and many players were convinced that it was a Blizzard problem. That is until Cox and Verizon first acknowledged it was their own issue, after days and even weeks of denial, followed by 60 minute fixes to the issue- of course, 30 days later.

In any case, as you wish. We will now direct you to try all the least likely things to help you with your problem, leaving the most likely issues to last. Fortunately, others will be more open minded and have their issues resolved much sooner.

Best of luck.

Still trolling everyone I see.
12/24/2015 09:33 PMPosted by Skooma

You may assume anything you wish.

Nice Ostrich impersonation though. They should have achieves for that!
12/24/2015 09:39 PMPosted by Lucylockless
12/24/2015 09:33 PMPosted by Skooma

You may assume anything you wish.

Nice Ostrich impersonation though. They should have achieves for that!

I knew you were that guy.
Best way to deal with certain people is to let them have enough rope to hang themselves. Saves alot of wasted time.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/19890939031?page=3#59

11/21/2015 07:41 AMPosted by Bojay
So...I can't help but be suspicious of the diagnostic value of trace routes and path pings. Like I said...based on feedback...these new readings would seem to indicate that I'm having worse problems...yet I'm not.

The problem is that it will really depend on what you are doing and WHICH packets are getting lost.

| xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - 10 | 442 | 400 | 6 | 9 | 54 | 6 |

| xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - 14 | 467 | 406 | 6 | 8 | 18 | 13 |

Yes, you are having 10-14% packet losses between your computer and your ISP. If you were doing this test during a raid, then the side effects could range from severe lag and even disconnects, to "just" lost DPS/healing/important casts. There are alot of packets flying back and forth during combat- and you aren't just receiving ones for your actions. You are receiving ones telling you that the healer cast a big heal on a tank, another healer on some huntard that's standing in fire, a mage that's interrupting a cast, etc etc. So the actions lost or delayed might be information about things other people are doing that don't directly affect you- just your Recount/Skada results. Nor will what gets lost be consistent- it will be totally random.

This is why whenever we see any losses we focus first and foremost on that. Otherwise any other suggestions we make which may also improve things can be negated by the packet losses. Put another way, we really have to remove this kind of problem first to ensure that it's no longer a factor.

The tests themselves are reliable and informative, but they are not black and white due to it depending on what is being lost and for how long. Also, since all we know is that the average is 10-14% losses we can't tell if you are sometimes having larger losses in waves that then go away for a longer period of time before returning. That would yield the same average, but would mean more severe effects when they do happen.

PS: Btw, the first IP address that your are xxx'ing out isn't really necessary. That is an ip address that is internal to your home network, so it's not possible for anyone to "access" it directly. They must go through the 2nd IP address, which belongs to your modem/router. Xxx'ing that one out is what you should do to keep yourself private- really the only one you should.

Of course, now you will say that's only 1 reply where showing "tracert" (wrong tool but w/e) shows the actual problem.

Ignorant
I read 100% of what your wrote. You just decided to assume it was perhaps 1/3. That the conclusions reached didn't sit well with you doesn't mean they are inaccurate, which explains jumping to a conclusion about my trolling- assuming you misused that term
False. Had you read carefully you would have understood I have already performned tracerts, and been through all troubleshooting steps.

Btw, I quoted fact- you replied with "feelings"
Everything we do has levels of emotion in it.

Sure, if you had google and seen MILLIONS of issues listed then you could connect your feeling to fact. Since there are MILLIONS of players continuing to play without problems, how would you reconcile that with your feeling? (Even if you had of seen 10,000+ unique posts about the problem, that itself would represent less than 1% of the players).

Umm, I never said millions kiddo. You are beating a dog that isn't even in the fight. The question you should be asking yourself, "is there a pattern here", "is there a problem that is repeating", "who is it affecting", "How do we resolve it". Stop making excuses for Blizzard.

I also quoted history on things that had happened earlier this year, which lead to people drawing conclusions exactly as you have, and many players were convinced that it was a Blizzard problem. That is until Cox and Verizon (in my 2 examples from many different instances) first acknowledged it was their own issue, after days and even weeks of denial, followed by 60 minute fixes to the issue- of course, 30 days later. With 0 changes by Blizzard.
100% Anecdotal, thanks.

In any case, as you wish. We will now direct you to try all the least likely things to help you with your problem, leaving the most likely issues to last.

Stop assuming that everyone who comes here doesn't have a clue, most of us have tried everything numerous times, give a proper solution or shut your mouth.

Fortunately, others will be more open minded and have their issues resolved much sooner.

Fortunately you will have nothing to do with it.

Best of luck.

You as well.
Best way to deal with certain people is to let them have enough rope to hang themselves. Saves alot of wasted time.

Agreed, you just proved you are a troll.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/19890939031?page=3#59

Of course, now you will say that's only 1 reply where showing "tracert" (wrong tool but w/e) shows the actual problem.

You still solved nothing in that post, told us what we already knew, and it's still unrelated and unresolved.
That was way easier than even I thought.

I have no doubt you did perform tracerts, since they are all but useless- only telling what the path is, having no reliability on the health of the path. Hence not posting what is requested and assuming you've read meaningless data properly does often lead to misunderstanding the health of your connection.

QED.
12/24/2015 10:16 PMPosted by Lucylockless
That was way easier than even I thought.

I have no doubt you did perform tracerts, since they are all but useless- only telling what the path is, having no reliability on the health of the path. Hence not posting what is requested and assuming you've read meaningless data properly does often lead to misunderstanding the health of your connection.

QED.

Sigh. It has been posted numerous times kid. Do you really not get it ? I can't figure out if you are slow or just stiff necked. It's like you are so bent on trying to be an authority you have ignored the obvious. There is a problem in the Pacific Northwest, myself and many others have all posted what was asked of us and to no avail. We would like to see some real results instead of more homework, get it now?
Curious.

I don't recall any equipment owned by Blizzard located in the Pacific Northwest.

There is only ISP equipment located there.

So sorry for my confusion. I assumed you were asking Blizzard to fix a Blizzard problem. Since there are people on your realm and faction with no problems at all, at least according to trade chat, can you help my simplistic mind understand what actions Blizzard can take to directly correct issues in your geographical region? I mean, since there is no equipment that they have control of there.

As for test results and interpretation, there are none in this thread. My apologies in assuming that you would provide all the relevant data in the same thread that you are asking for a problem to resolve. We usually have people posting the data to show exactly what is happening in their own threads- otherwise there is a lot of wasted time trying to figure out what is actually happening versus what is being perceived.

As you yourself have indicated that changing ISPs can sometimes solve the problem, it would be prudent to maximize the efficiency of the turn around time so as not to have 9+ hours pass without any real progress.
I had the same issue with Comcast, they couldn't figure it out. So after investigating on my own, I removed the filters that were installed and the problem went away. ymmv
I'm loving this discourse but really at the end of the day, Lucy is right, Skooma will still have DCs, and Comcast will just collect money for a service they're not adequately providing. What will be done about it, I wonder.
Curious.
I don't recall any equipment owned by Blizzard located in the Pacific Northwest.

What ? Nice red herring.

So sorry for my confusion. I assumed you were asking Blizzard to fix a Blizzard problem.

Are you speaking for Blizzard ?

Since there are people on your realm and faction with no problems at all, at least according to trade chat, can you help my simplistic mind understand what actions Blizzard can take to directly correct issues in your geographical region?

Who mentioned trade chat ? If I knew the "exact" problem, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time coming here now would I. They may need to do a audit of thier facilities and find out where the failure lies.

As for test results and interpretation, there are none in this thread. My apologies in assuming that you would provide all the relevant data in the same thread that you are asking for a problem to resolve. We usually have people posting the data to show exactly what is happening in their own threads- otherwise there is a lot of wasted time trying to figure out what is actually happening versus what is being perceived.

Prime example of blowing smoke up our keister.

As you yourself have indicated that changing ISPs can sometimes solve the problem, it would be prudent to maximize the efficiency of the turn around time so as not to have 9+ hours pass without any real progress

As explained in my first post that you "read thoroughly" I'm stuck with Comcast.

Let me explain breifly what I would do in my situation. Granted they are not apples and apples but you may still learn something. My daytime job is Quality Assurance for a Northwest Areospace company. I remember not too long ago a customer calling me about some parts that were less than ideal and just didn't fit right. I apologized profusely and immediately went to work at resolving the issue. I went back to our CnC mills and worked with our foreman and engineer to see what we could do to make these parts work for them.What I didn't do was tell him that we have other customers with the exact same parts that have had no complaints or that he was a idiot for not understanding how true position works on a feature.
I never said it was entirely Blizzards fault or Comcasts, but what I do know is myself and others are not recieveing ideal service. We shouldn't have to beg them to look into the issue and resolve it in a timely manner.