Expansion after Legion?

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
As we all know, the Burning Legion is THE big baddy of the Warcraft universe. Some people have been saying Legion might be the final expansion of WoW, because what else would we face after the Legion? Well the Old Gods are, and they seem to be the next logical step.

So either we will only drive the Legion back. They will eventually resurface once they recuperate their forces. (This has been the case since Warcraft 1) Or we would put an end to them only to create an opportunity for the Old Gods to strike at Azeroth.

But what if they took a different direction?

What if we lost to the Legion, not complete devastation but still a great loss which forces us to look for a new world similar to the Orcs in the first invasion (Draenor was dying, they needed to survive).

The launch event would be something like mustering both factions' forces and preparing a portal into a new world, when we arrive we are not warmly welcome and must earn our place by helping out the natives. There will still be a split between the Alliance and the Horde due to conflicts of interest, I'm afraid there must be because of the implications on WPvP and PvP servers.

The main theme of the expansion won't be centered around one evil villain ala Cataclysm and Deathwing. It will be all about the new world, making a new home for your faction. Instead of having a new continent worth 10 levels, we'll be getting an entire new planet that ought to be worth 20 levels or more. Think of it like starting a new vanilla WoW experience, a soft reboot per se. Everything in the world is new to you and you don't feel that you just need to rush to level cap and raid, you'd want to experience the entire new world. This would leave a lot of loose ends by leaving Azeroth behind, but Blizzard can find a way to address that, maybe we would eventually come back and reclaim Azeroth like the Protoss reclaimed Aiur.
To be honest, it depends on how Legion goes down, and how we deal with the secondary villains, such as Azshara, N'zoth and maybe Zul (prophet of the Zandalari)

Blizzard can create original content (sort of), we saw it with MoP and it was a lore rich expansion. I mean, some people have been saying 'south seas' for the next expansion since vanilla, and so far, never happened
With Artifact Weapons and all this stuff about the Emerald Dream, The Titans,Elune, the Naga,The Tomb of Sargeras and sylvanas's story seemingly coming to head I would not be supersized if Blizzard is setting Legion up to be the Last X-pack.

Not to mention Wow Chronicles coming out some time this year.That is supposed to be like the Holy Bible of WoW Lore.

I mean, for years everyone has always though the Last X-pack would be called Burning Legion or something similar.
Return of the Lich King: Bolvar's Awakening.

*crosses fingers*
More Scourge please.
We will be facing "The Flop;"

When our characters approach the mobs, they will flop over and drop thier loot.
01/05/2016 02:01 AMPosted by Anareiel
Return of the Lich King: Bolvar's Awakening.

*crosses fingers*

01/05/2016 02:07 AMPosted by Simplyred
More Scourge please.
scourge needs to be a 3rd playable faction just like in warcraft 3
01/05/2016 02:07 AMPosted by Simplyred
More Scourge please.

Don't worry,

Spoiler alert

Bolvar does some !@#$ in legion
Why don't we focus on the immediate future instead of three years down the road?
The next expansion depends on Legion and the movie.

If the movie disappoints and Legion loses another 50% of the remaining subs, the next expansion might be a low-rent F2P affair like SWTOR has done, with minimal everything.

If the movie's a hit and Legion rebounds to be 8-9 million at its peak, the next expansion might be a full-fledged invasion of Argus or some such Legion world, with the best raids ever and maybe a big revamp of the old content.
01/05/2016 02:47 AMPosted by Nairomi
Why don't we focus on the immediate future instead of three years down the road?

Because for the past 3 xpacs, every time the peanut gallery comes on here saying the next xpac will be the last. Always the doom n gloom.
Given that Sargeras is unlikely to be defeated in this expansion, the Legion story will be far from over. Though Legion will probably set the stage for that future expansion.

Kil'jaeden for example has never actually been defated, only his attempt enter our realm was defeated. We faced only a small fraction of his power.

We are facing one of the most powerful mortal creatures in Warcraft lore, Queen Azshara. Kil'jaeden could also make a final reappearance, this time fully summoned into our world and in all his power.
Given that Sargeras is unlikely to be defeated in this expansion, the Legion story will be far from over. Though Legion will probably set the stage for that future expansion.

Kil'jaeden for example has never actually been defated, only his attempt enter our realm was defeated. We faced only a small fraction of his power.

We are facing one of the most powerful mortal creatures in Warcraft lore, Queen Azshara. Kil'jaeden could also make a reappearance, this time fully summoned into our world and in all his power.

The demons conveniently never die.

Although bringing on a full Legion invasion suggests that WoW is starting to wind down a bit.

It'll be hard to go from Legion to anything less epic, which limits their options. And really they should consider defeating Sargeras in the next expansion or two after Legion and giving themselves a clean slate for a WoW 2 down the line at some point.

We are facing one of the most powerful mortal creatures in Warcraft lore, Queen Azshara. Kil'jaeden could also make a reappearance, this time fully summoned into our world and in all his power.

I kill archimonde hitting him in the hoof, and he is the strong one.
Kil'jaeden is the smart and Velen the wise.

I dont want to kill another Big Lord Eredar hitting him in the hoof... Just... No please.
01/05/2016 02:58 AMPosted by Gabitha
01/05/2016 02:47 AMPosted by Nairomi

Because for the past 3 xpacs, every time the peanut gallery comes on here saying the next xpac will be the last. Always the doom n gloom.

Why do we care about what the “peanut gallery” has to say or think if they are in fact the “peanut gallery”?
The Revenge of Hogger

The ghost of Hogger comes back to Azeroth to avenge his 5 billion deaths over the years.

Oink, !@#$%es
Return of the Orcs: The tale of a different variety of Orc, trust us.
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS FOR AZEROTH TO GO BACK TO PRE CATA!! Pleaseee
Legion wont be the last as I doubt we will be facing Sargeras directly (and Blizzard is kind of wanting him to be the final boss of the entire game)
01/05/2016 01:46 AMPosted by Zawolkow
With Artifact Weapons and all this stuff about the Emerald Dream, The Titans,Elune, the Naga,The Tomb of Sargeras and sylvanas's story seemingly coming to head I would not be supersized if Blizzard is setting Legion up to be the Last X-pack.

Not to mention Wow Chronicles coming out some time this year.That is supposed to be like the Holy Bible of WoW Lore.

I mean, for years everyone has always though the Last X-pack would be called Burning Legion or something similar.

Nope. Blizzard has said they have the 20th anniversary planned so we can expect at least 4 more xpacs.