Evanesce and what it applies to

Mage
Can I get a list of what it works on or doesn't work on in terms of HFC? :x Whichever is easier :x
I've only used it on a few fights, so I'll just speak for those

iron reaver - barrage
zakuun - cavitation/wake of destruction, also works for latent energy damage
xhul'horac - application of chains/empowered chains, but I don't think it reduces the damage from snapback. Also prevents you from getting void/fel debuff while you're standing in green/purple.
It works on pretty much anything.

The only thing I've found that it DOESN'T work on, is when you're standing in the fire in Archimonde, or any kind of fire that puts a stacking debuff on you.

The fire won't dmg you while Evanesce is active, but the stacking debuff will still apply (though in many cases I've found that Greater Invis. will clear those types of stacks, though not all the time).

To add a couple examples to Hellenes list that I can remember off hand:

Iskar- the chakrams, the laser beam, the bomb (assuming the bomb doesn't get dispelled).

Mannoroth- Fel Seeker

Socrethar- the Orb, the Robot charge, the ghosts (use it right before it hits you, and it just vanishes),

Archimonde- Assuming you can get a good group that remembers, you can solo that purple blast that knocks you up in the air. Just use Evanesce right before you hit the ground (don't blink!). However, if you happen to see someone waiting for you to land, don't use it as all the dmg that would have hit you now just goes to everyone else.

I'm sure there are more things it works with, it's an awesome defensive spell.
Yea I'm starting to realize that. And when you say it works on those things, does that mean you're just negating the damage or are you stopping the mechanic from happening altogether(like artillery on reaver)?
It just temporarily negates the dmg in most cases.
As a mage, Ice flows is one of the greatest tools you can have. Especially as arcane which has limited movement ability while dps. The only times you will run Evanesce is on M Fel lord, and Xhul, in which the mechanics outweigh the mobility of dps.
01/09/2016 11:05 PMPosted by Primelegend
As a mage, Ice flows is one of the greatest tools you can have. Especially as arcane which has limited movement ability while dps. The only times you will run Evanesce is on M Fel lord, and Xhul, in which the mechanics outweigh the mobility of dps.

Not sure why people are downvoting you. Your statements are 100% correct. Evanesce is, quite simply a dps loss. You should not run it if you could otherwise use ice floes and dodge the mechanic (unless you are specifically cheesing mechanics like on xhul).
He's being downvoted because the thread specifically asked what abilities Evanesce affected and he came in here spouting off about how Ice Floes is better.
If I remember correctly evanesce prevents the dot application of Killrog's heartseeker, may also block the initial damage. Blood will still spawn
01/10/2016 11:04 AMPosted by Laenia
If I remember correctly evanesce prevents the dot application of Killrog's heartseeker, may also block the initial damage. Blood will still spawn

It does.
A few additional ones...
On Kormrok if used as the Grasping Hands go out, it will prevent a hand from spawning on you, causing no aoe damage, and lowering enemy count.
On Mythic Hellfire Council if you're Evanesced when Gurtogg casts Bloodboil, you can still be targeted, but it will deal no damage and it will not add a stack. Unfortunately it's not good enough to cause a reset of stacks as the 2nd cast after this will apply before the debuff can fall off. Also works on Reap explosion and ground effect to allow easy stacking.
On Xhul'Horac, you can Evanesce the Black Hole solo. You can not Evanesce to clear fire though as it prevents you from getting the debuff as you run over fire, though this also means you can run through opposite colored fire if you're in a pinch.
01/10/2016 09:58 AMPosted by Ghobe
He's being downvoted because the thread specifically asked what abilities Evanesce affected and he came in here spouting off about how Ice Floes is better.

Seeing how ice flows is on the same tier as evanesce, i think it does apply to what you gain to lose if you use evanesce. The list of things that you can use evanesce is the same list of things as ice block, but it doesnt mean its effective to use evanesce.

01/10/2016 11:54 AMPosted by Ghobe
On Xhul'Horac, you can Evanesce the Black Hole solo. You can not Evanesce to clear fire though as it prevents you from getting the debuff as you run over fire, though this also means you can run through opposite colored fire if you're in a pinch.

This is not true, damage reductions, and immunities do not effect black holes, only cheat death mechanics. You have the illusion that it works because it doesnt do that much damage on heroic or normal. Anyone can solo a black hole on heroic with full hp. And you can use evanesce to clear fire, just a like a rogue does. Get a debuff clear fire, use evanesce to remove the debuff. You can even clear 2 patches, cancel evanesce, pick up new debuff, clear fire, and just sit on your 1 stack and hope no screws up and kills you.
01/15/2016 10:44 PMPosted by Primelegend
you can use evanesce to clear fire, just a like a rogue does. Get a debuff clear fire, use evanesce to remove the debuff.

evanescence does not clear debuffs. it prevents them from ever being applied. which is why it doesnt work to clear fire.

If you have Fel, use ev, and walk into void, you dont take damage from void, dont get the void debuff, and dont explode. until ev ends, and then you take a whole explosion and have the 'exploded' debuff.
High Council - Evanescence will prevent the damage when you are targeted by Reap. The CD will come back up before the next reap goes out so it's better then ice block or gtr invis. You don't really need Ice Flows for that fight (not a lot of movement required) so that is probably one of the best fights for Evanescence.