Free server transfers for linked realms

General Discussion
I think it would make perfect sense to be able to transfer characters for free between linked servers. We are for all intents and purposes now the same server so why should there be a fee to move between them? There could be a 2 week or so time between transfers to prevent people from making multiple transfers at once, but I don't see why this couldn't work.
I second this! Sometimes I just want my names to look the same between certain characters :)
01/03/2016 08:29 AMPosted by Willander
We are for all intents and purposes now the same server so why should there be a fee to move between them?

Why would you need to server transfer then?
01/03/2016 08:31 AMPosted by Katylee
I second this! Sometimes I just want my names to look the same between certain characters :)

um ... you can do that on linked realms. for instance Shu'halo is ... wait for it....
linked to Eitrigg. My monk and this hunter have even been in the same guild.
01/03/2016 08:31 AMPosted by Acacia

Plenty of legit reasons, maybe they want to separate their Horde and Alliance characters.
I ran out of character slots on Ysera. All my newer alts have -Durotan after their names when I send them crap from characters on Ysera.
I think linked realms would of been better servered with just straight up mergers instead of this dance around a true merger.
01/03/2016 08:52 AMPosted by Multan
I think linked realms would of been better servered with just straight up mergers instead of this dance around a true merger.

the problem with 'straight up mergers', using my two characters above as an example : which one keeps the name Somaliu ? why should the other be forced to change their name that they may have had for years and years. While they are both mine and less of a problem what if your realm was merged with another and there was a character name Multan on that realm and Blizzard told you that due to arbitrary factors you have to change your name immediately as your name is in use by another player ?

This is the one BIG reason that connected realms are so much better than straight mergers.
01/03/2016 08:39 AMPosted by Song
01/03/2016 08:31 AMPosted by Acacia

Plenty of legit reasons, maybe they want to separate their Horde and Alliance characters.

That is partly my reason. All my character slots are full and I have a deleted Horde character I would like to resurrect. If I could move all my Allies over to the linked server I would then have the space to do this.
01/03/2016 08:55 AMPosted by Somaliu

the problem with 'straight up mergers', using my two characters above as an example : which one keeps the name Somaliu ? why should the other be forced to change their name that they may have had for years and years. While they are both mine and less of a problem what if your realm was merged with another and there was a character name Multan on that realm and Blizzard told you that due to arbitrary factors you have to change your name immediately as your name is in use by another player ?

This is the one BIG reason that connected realms are so much better than straight mergers.

Yea to bad the guild your in couldn't be part of your name when you mail something or people could just select the guild they are in when they mail something to you. But this wouldn't work with the unguilded people.
01/03/2016 08:59 AMPosted by Multan
Yea to bad the guild your in couldn't be part of your name when you mail something or people could just select the guild they are in when they mail something to you. But this wouldn't work with the unguilded people.

or what if both players are in the same guild ? While neither of my characters are actually in synergy anymore they both were at one point (guild has a rule about long absences and I respect that when I took a long absence). which may be fairly common with the connected realms. plus your guild affiliation can change. let's say they went with name-guild as your name then you leave your current guild for another that already has a character with that name, should switching guilds possibly cause you to change names ?

I don't. I like having 22 slots (soon to be 24 -- yay, Legion!) per WoW account on a "single" realm (Hydraxis/Terenas).

And I still don't get the OP. Why would I want to transfer a character from Hydraxis to Terenas? Explain, please.
I explained 3 posts above yours why I want to transfer between my linked realms. Not sure why you would want to.
01/03/2016 09:43 AMPosted by Willander
I explained 3 posts above yours why I want to transfer between my linked realms. Not sure why you would want to.

Yes, I read that post, as I have read the entire thread, and I still don't get it. You are talking about transferring a toon from one of a set of connected realms to another one of that same set of realms, yes?

P.S. I'm not trolling; I'm honestly trying to understand.
01/03/2016 10:16 AMPosted by Eyrinjia

Yes, I read that post, as I have read the entire thread, and I still don't get it. You are talking about transferring a toon from one of a set of connected realms to another one of that same set of realms, yes?

Because then he'd have more space on a specific realm to restore his Horde toon.

I want to stay on my current realm, Silvermoon. Having characters on Mok'Nathal would be equivalent to staying on Silvermoon since these realms are merged.

I don't have any free character slots on Silvermoon but I want to resurrect a Horde character that I had previously deleted on Silvermoon.

If I move all my Alliance characters to Mok'Nathal they will still be in the merged realms, with all the same people, friends, guilds I have now.

Then I will have free slots on Silvermoon so I can resurrect the deleted Horde.
This would be a waste. If you want a different server name beside your name, you can just pay like the rest of people. It costs money to change your name in the game, so why shouldn't it cost to change the server name?

No one cares what the server name is beside your name, maybe you do for some weird reason, but no one else does
01/03/2016 10:25 AMPosted by Acacia
Because then he'd have more space on a specific realm to restore his Horde toon.

yeah I find it worrying how so many people struggle to understand this...

Yes, I read that post, as I have read the entire thread, and I still don't get it.

/facepalm
01/03/2016 10:31 AMPosted by Chazzwozzer
This would be a waste. If you want a different server name beside your name, you can just pay like the rest of people. It costs money to change your name in the game, so why shouldn't it cost to change the server name?

No one cares what the server name is beside your name, maybe you do for some weird reason, but no one else does

He doesn't care about the server name beside his name.

Have you read the thread at all?