Legion Transmog? Current Issue

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
I am stockpiling gear that I can't use because I am unsure whether or not I will have sellers remorse when Legion drops.

Am I right in assuming that gear you pick up will only be unlocked account-wide if you can actually equip it? If so, what about cloth if I'm a rogue?

EDIT: To summarize what's been stated in the (currently) 25 pages of thread posts...
  • Armor appearances only unlock if they're appropriate for your class upon acquisition.
  • Appearances unlock account-wide, but they are still subject to the same class restrictions as the original armor.
  • Quest rewards... old, new, and completed pre-Legion... will have ALL of the possible choices unlocked as appearances, and are subject to the same restrictions stated above.
  • What hasn't been made clear... yet.
  • What's going to happen with all the gear being grandfathered into different armor types by the changes in armor specialization changes coming in Legion for characters using mail with strength, and pre-40 leather gear for Hunters.
  • Whether or not weapon types that are not "class appropriate" but still equipable will have their appearances unlocked alongside armor.
  • What will happen with gear that is no longer obtainable.
  • Who is John Galt?
  • Challenge-mode armor sets.
  • From what I've heard it's not even account-wide. It's per character. I'm hoping I'm mistaken, naturally.
    http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/11/07/blizzcon-2015-transmogrification-changes/

"Coming in Legion is the Wardrobe, an all new, account wide transmog system that allows you to unlock the appearance of an item and then keep or discard it as you choose."

This is where my concerns arise. Being account wide lends quite a bit of value to the crap that's sitting in my bag... unless it's only unlocked if the character can actually use them.
    01/12/2016 02:37 PMPosted by Unfortune
    http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/11/07/blizzcon-2015-transmogrification-changes/

"Coming in Legion is the Wardrobe, an all new, account wide transmog system that allows you to unlock the appearance of an item and then keep or discard it as you choose."

This is where my concerns arise. Being account wide lends quite a bit of value to the crap that's sitting in my bag... unless it's only unlocked if the character can actually use them.

If it is truly account wide, then that makes it more attractive, but I'm with you on that one. That doesn't necessarily put the concerns to rest. Thanks for the article, I hadn't seen that one. I guess we won't know until Alpha starts up again.
    Right, and it's absolutely killing my bag/bank space :D

There really needs to be some clarification on this...
    It's what you can equip for your class, weapons and armor type, that's it, even if u can use a cloth chest piece only mages, warlocks will *unlock* the looks.

So keep leather !@#$ and weapons u can equip, all the rest you won't be able to save on the closet.
    Thanks for the reply, and I seriously hope you're right (about to start vendoring,) but do you have any source for this info? I've looked, but I keep coming up with dead-ends.
    Yes, that would be correct. There are various restrictions, and it generally falls along the lines of:

• You must be able to equip the armor
    • It must be of your primary armor type
    • It must be able to be obtained and equipped by your class

So, using your example, a Rogue would not unlock cloth gear they loot, as cloth is not their primary armor type.

A Mage would not unlock account-wide styles for any looted Warlock-specific armor, even though they both primarily wear cloth, as the Mage cannot equip Warlock-specific armor.
    Is there any way that could be added of addressing the issue of super rare drops?
    Some items are soulbound and a sub 0.1% drop. Getting that to drop on the wrong toon that cannot add it to the transmog closest would be excruciatingly painful.

Perhaps some item we can apply to a soul bound item to add it to the transmog list that is purchable with valor points or some such mechanism, so that the odd item here or there could be added.
    01/12/2016 04:17 PMPosted by Ornyx
    Yes, that would be correct. There are various restrictions, and it generally falls along the lines of:

So, using your example, a Rogue would not unlock cloth gear they loot, as cloth is not their primary armor type.

A Mage would not unlock account-wide styles for any looted Warlock-specific armor, even though they both primarily wear cloth, as the Mage cannot equip Warlock-specific armor.

I'm curious at this point if any thought is being put into changing the "only primary armor class" rule. I have a bunch of non-plate stuff I'm hanging on to, uneasy about dumping it all and then finding out the rule was changed.
    Such a frustrating and unnecessary restriction. Unlock everything that is soulbound and keep the ability to mog it armour based.
    01/12/2016 04:22 PMPosted by Galateacyc
    s there any way that could be added of addressing the issue of super rare drops?
    Some items are soulbound and a sub 0.1% drop. Getting that to drop on the wrong toon that cannot add it to the transmog closest would be excruciatingly painful.

Agreed. I honestly think the armor type restriction should go entirely. Farming all the instances and zones and quests in game for collections is bad enough. doing it FOUR TIMES is over the top obnoxious to collect all the armor types. If it drops and you loot it, you should learn it. the restrictions should be for who can USE it only.
    Another question:

A lot of tier sets have a tier version and an off-set version that shares the exact same visual (for example Archimonde drops paladin look-alike shoulders that all plate users can equip);

To unlock that visual for all my plate characters, do I need the off-set piece or any of the 2 works?

Oh good, a blue post in general where we can finally discuss this.

This is awful, please change it. If you're going to make gear collecting an account-wide affair please don't impose restrictions like this.
    01/12/2016 04:26 PMPosted by Tikol
    Such a frustrating and unnecessary restriction. Unlock everything that is soulbound and keep the ability to mog it armour based.

Bingo!! no one is asking to have cloth wearers moging plate, but we want to be able to add to the wardrobe items we have even if one toon cant wear it, but another can.

Upvote that taurens post its the best idea there is

But what about weapons? Seems unfair that a warrior can learn all the weapons, while a warlock can only learn 3 types.
    I believe how the wardrobe works, is you don't unlock an item per say, you unlock it's model+color.

So how does that work with tier armor that has exact looking look alike armor? For instance, my warrior has tier shoulders equipped and there is an exact same model lookalike shoulders. I do not have the lookalike shoulders though. If I were to only have the tier armor, would my Death Knight have the visual unlocked because an exact same model exists even though technically he can't equip this specific armor piece?

What I would really want to know is... If I have done CM gold items, does it mean that I will unlock shields, axes, maces, staves, etc but not swords and daggers? Or will having the CM gold unlock all the weapons for every char? If it is only the weapons you can use, wouldn't it be a little unfair to some classes? IE if a warrior does CM, he effectively unlocks all weapons for all his characters while if a mage do them, he will only unlock a small part of it.
    I have some rather rare hats on non-cloth wearers, and I really don't understand why you plan on making me find ANOTHER pirate hat. Two was frustrating enough. Although, you really should just give it up and let us transmog any sort of headgear, I can already transmog a hat and headband thanks to cosmetic items released during WoD, so why shouldn't I be able to transmog to my pirate hat and master's hat? I'm big on hats.
    01/12/2016 02:30 PMPosted by Tippa
    From what I've heard it's not even account-wide. It's per character. I'm hoping I'm mistaken, naturally.

It's account wide, but only for those of the same armor type (not counting weapons, tabards, and cloaks). It's like how the tailoring carpets are account wide, but only tailors can use them.

01/12/2016 03:06 PMPosted by Unfortune
    Thanks for the reply, and I seriously hope you're right (about to start vendoring,) but do you have any source for this info? I've looked, but I keep coming up with dead-ends.

It was announced on Twitter.

01/12/2016 04:22 PMPosted by Galateacyc

The whole thing is painful and unnecessary. Mains can supply alts with gold, bags, heirlooms, mounts, titles, BoE gear, baleful gear, BoA rep tokens, mats, but Heaven forbid I loot a bow on my priest for my hunter to transmog.