Can a player be banned for causing discomfort

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
01/29/2016 05:31 AMPosted by Qeazor
If a player does not use swearing words or other profanities, does not spam, harass or stalks, but posts something that causes distress and humiliation to a player

The human race is becoming so soft.

Harden the !@#$ up.
01/29/2016 09:37 AMPosted by Lughnasadh
Fair enough if that works for you. For me I like to know why people think the way they do, particularly when that kind of behavior that is just getting worse. "People do bad things" is just intellectually lazy.

Bull. It's just not something I care to spend any time handwringing about. Why? Not my problem. If you want to take it upon yourself to ponder others' bad behaviors and how to change everyone else, knock yourself out.

I'd lay off the 'everything is getting worse' hyperbole. What evidence is there that 'things' are getting measurably worse? That you notice more of it? Please.

01/29/2016 09:37 AMPosted by Lughnasadh
All of which is ignoring the other point of shifting blame to people who feel offended by such behavior. Which is understandable if one enjoys acting like that or doesn't want to own up to any responsibility from doing so.

You can can it with the 'omg you Big Bad Victim Blamer' nonsense as well. Address that to someone who's actually engaging in the behavior.
01/29/2016 05:41 AMPosted by Attr
Goodbye, culture of reason. Hello, culture of victimhood.

I just thought you should know that this entire thread triggers me.
01/29/2016 09:50 AMPosted by Grubgrabber

Maybe we should start a Tumblr on it, and reblog it.

Your triggering is triggering my triggering.
01/29/2016 09:53 AMPosted by Berith

Lol Tumblr would eat this !@#$ up while simultaneously condemning those of us who dare not comfort the OP at the mere chance that their delicate feelings had been bruised.
01/29/2016 09:53 AMPosted by Berith

I only reblog in my safe space.
01/29/2016 09:55 AMPosted by Alterlia
Lol Tumblr would eat this !@#$ up while simultaneously condemning those of us who dare not comfort the OP at the mere chance that their delicate feelings had been bruised.

Don't you dare victim blame the Trigger-Kin. They self-identify as offended.
So, since I left this thread and returned, the meek are still meek, the strong are still strong and the jackwagons are still jackwagons.

Think I summed that up well. You'd think I attended college many moons ago or something. Funny thing is, where I went to school we lived next to the ghetto. You learned to toughen up, not cross dress and be triggered by words.

*shrug

/Moo
So - someone just randomly said that for no reason, with no provocation, just started unloading about what a loser you are?

Seems legit.
Speaking from the point of view of someone's who's a bit older, I think it's better to stand up for yourself instead of always running to the authorities. Back when I was a kid in school, we didn't run to the teacher/principal if someone was a jerk because then you'd be seen as that weak kid who always run to the teachers and things would get worse. You could either hit back, tell them to f**k off or ignore it and take the bullying like man.

I know it might seem harsh compared to today's society but there was also a good life lesson in there that you won't always be able to run to someone for help when you're in trouble. Sometimes you have to deal with it yourself.
01/29/2016 10:03 AMPosted by Mammifère
Speaking from the point of view of someone's who's a bit older, I think it's better to stand up for yourself instead of always running to the authorities. Back when I was a kid in school, we didn't run to the teacher/principal if someone was a jerk because then you'd be seen as that weak kid who always run to the teachers and things would get worse. You could either hit back, tell them to f**k off or ignore it and take the bullying like man.

I know it might seem harsh compared to today's society but there was also a good life lesson in there that you won't always be able to run to someone for help when you're in trouble. Sometimes you have to deal with it yourself.

You and I come from a different generation.
If a player does not use swearing words or other profanities, does not spam, harass or stalks, but posts something that causes distress and humiliation to a player, like the following hypothetical comment:

"You shall never amount to anything in real life ... you will fail your studies and never get a job ... additionally, you will never get married and never have kids, and never ever be able to reach your dreams of becoming a professor."

Will this person get banned or suspended if reported for language?

According to the WoW terms of use at http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

This does not violate (i), but violates number (vi), since it causes embarrassment, distress, and discomfort.

Has anyone had any experience of a player being banned for doing this?

The question is, why you decided that person was important enough to you personally to have their opinion matter.
01/29/2016 09:05 AMPosted by Aumbelle
To me it's more so the perception that it's impossible to rid the world or even the average town of malignant talk. Sure as one of billions of people on the planet, you can make small but meaningful differences here and there by setting a good example, but that's about all you can do. So if you care about someone who you know is going to occasionally receive some immature, mean-spirited words, and you don't want that person to be hurt, you can either focus on trying to help that person develop strong, healthy emotional boundaries, or you can try to shame everyone they might ever meet, somehow in advance, from saying mean words to them. The latter strategy isn't going to work, but the former strategy is very likely to work if the person puts in their own work on developing those boundaries. You can still be the change you wish to see in the world, and make personal choices to shun those who say mean garbage to others, but if you're focusing on how to best help someone else, a crusade against mean talk is going to fail on its face.

Even ignoring the different factors that go into what makes us up leading to how we reacting to things, I definitely agree that it's very important to help others learn to better react to situations that lead to a better experience. I just don't find that to be through abusive behavior as a method, especially when more often than not it's just a flimsy excuse to continue being able act with impunity.

And as an extension of that thought, part of that same learning process of dealing with other people's crap is to learn not to unload your own on them, but instead find other ways to work it out.

As for changing the world, I think it can be done. Or at least I hope so. Right now we're in the new age of throwing people to the lions to watch them fight where seeing people go off on each other is entertainment. Making a few positive ripples of change hopefully spread out in some meaningful way to similarly affect others. That adds up.
If a player does not use swearing words or other profanities, does not spam, harass or stalks, but posts something that causes distress and humiliation to a player, like the following hypothetical comment:

"You shall never amount to anything in real life ... you will fail your studies and never get a job ... additionally, you will never get married and never have kids, and never ever be able to reach your dreams of becoming a professor."

Question...how is that quote not harassing?
Just ignore them. They're jerks, but sadly, no action can be taken.
01/29/2016 10:04 AMPosted by Lughnasadh
01/29/2016 09:05 AMPosted by Aumbelle
To me it's more so the perception that it's impossible to rid the world or even the average town of malignant talk. Sure as one of billions of people on the planet, you can make small but meaningful differences here and there by setting a good example, but that's about all you can do. So if you care about someone who you know is going to occasionally receive some immature, mean-spirited words, and you don't want that person to be hurt, you can either focus on trying to help that person develop strong, healthy emotional boundaries, or you can try to shame everyone they might ever meet, somehow in advance, from saying mean words to them. The latter strategy isn't going to work, but the former strategy is very likely to work if the person puts in their own work on developing those boundaries. You can still be the change you wish to see in the world, and make personal choices to shun those who say mean garbage to others, but if you're focusing on how to best help someone else, a crusade against mean talk is going to fail on its face.

Even ignoring the different factors that go into what makes us up leading to how we reacting to things, I definitely agree that it's very important to help others learn to better react to situations that lead to a better experience. I just don't find that to be through abusive behavior as a method, especially when more often than not it's just a flimsy excuse to continue being able act with impunity.

And as an extension of that thought, part of that same learning process of dealing with other people's crap is to learn not to unload your own on them, but instead find other ways to work it out.

As for changing the world, I think it can be done. Or at least I hope so. Right now we're in the new age of throwing people to the lions to watch them fight where seeing people go off on each other is entertainment. Making a few positive ripples of change hopefully spread out in some meaningful way to similarly affect others. That adds up.

There is no changing the world, the world isn't that simple. Sure there might be some people that are just bullies because they didn't get enough love from mommy and daddy and just need a hug but there will always be people that just want to watch the world burn.
01/29/2016 07:09 AMPosted by Arigatou
01/29/2016 06:32 AMPosted by Ceka
I'm sure they would have to look at the whole conversation to see what was going on..
They don't just see that part of it..they go back to the time and can see the logs of what was going on..

If they see it was two people going back and forth at each other,they would probably just let it pass..
It would more than likely depend on if it was just a one sided thing or if there actually is more to the story than meets the eye..

I seriously doubt they have the time or human resources needed to research the complaints that thoroughly. They are most likely taking the reported post at face value with no context beyond what is implied when they read the post.

With the number of complaints that are received each day if they took the time to read entire conversations for context it would take a small army of staffers to get through the number of tickets each day.

That's how it used to be done..Maybe they changed it now..
Maybe now it's done with bots rather than people..
The ones i used to know that worked in that department, used to go to the incident and look it over..
This was back in wrath..I'm sure they had less time then than they do now..
hehehe
01/29/2016 10:08 AMPosted by Doomclan

Question...how is that quote not harassing?

Are insults harassing now? So I suppose toddlers are harassing each other now by calling others poopy faces.

That might as well have been what was theoretically said to the OP.
01/29/2016 05:42 AMPosted by Jillien
Even though there should be some kind of reprimand, there likely won't be... because WoW is a consequence-free game.

Just like real life. Most of us I assume don't live in an Orwellian dystopia, so we don't have the government mandating what we think and say. This also isn't your preschool. Billy isn't going to get a time out for saying something you couldn't deal with.

People need to buck up, and I can't wait for this culture of victimhood and fragility to be gone.