Can a player be banned for causing discomfort

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8
I think the more interesting question isn't if blizzard would ban for it..

It's if the playerbase WANTS that kind of world - where we ban discomfort.

Clearly many do and are already pushing for that kind of world.

Blizzard is just going to follow what we want there.
01/29/2016 10:04 AMPosted by Lostnachos
The question is, why you decided that person was important enough to you personally to have their opinion matter.

This right here. I see people on "social" media complaining about the trolls all the time. Are there people out there that are jerks? Yep, there sure are, but why in the world would anybody care what they thought. I can honestly say, that I could probably count on both hands the number of people in this world that I really care what they thing of me. And they sure aren't some jerk online.

Like the poster that I quoted said, why does it matter. Ignore them, move on, and quit wasting any more energy worrying about them.
Bull. It's just not something I care to spend any time handwringing about. Why? Not my problem. If you want to take it upon yourself to ponder others' bad behaviors and how to change everyone else, knock yourself out.

I already mentioned in the post you quoted that it's find if you don't want to. It's something that interests myself, and think it's beneficial if more do as well.

I'd lay off the 'everything is getting worse' hyperbole. What evidence is there that 'things' are getting measurably worse? That you notice more of it? Please.

I never once said measurably, and yes, I'm going off what I see. Since you disagree, I'll gladly look over any peer-reviewed articles that refute that claim.

01/29/2016 09:50 AMPosted by Trystero
You can can it with the 'omg you Big Bad Victim Blamer' nonsense as well. Address that to someone who's actually engaging in the behavior.

I've addressed it to the issue at hand, not at any individual.
01/29/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Alterlia
There is no changing the world, the world isn't that simple. Sure there might be some people that are just bullies because they didn't get enough love from mommy and daddy and just need a hug but there will always be people that just want to watch the world burn.

It's unrealistic to expect a utopian society where everyone is always pleasant towards another. We can do better, and have in other areas. Gay marriage was never thought to be possible, but it's here. Women are increasingly having a stronger role in military. And we're nearing the second term of our first black president. All of which aren't to signal the end of struggles from groups involved, but to point out there has been a lot of progression. Change is very much a possibility.
01/29/2016 10:17 AMPosted by Snowfox
I think the more interesting question isn't if blizzard would ban for it..

It's if the playerbase WANTS that kind of world - where we ban discomfort.

Clearly many do and are already pushing for that kind of world.

Blizzard is just going to follow what we want there.

The thing about it is people don't overall know what they want. It's easy to claim we want everyone to be kind to each other. But I'd rather the moments be genuine instead of because they'll get in trouble.

Let people say what they want and step in if it violates the rules you already have. Judge the words. Not the intentions.
01/29/2016 10:55 AMPosted by Phurr
The thing about it is people don't overall know what they want. It's easy to claim we want everyone to be kind to each other. But I'd rather the moments be genuine instead of because they'll get in trouble.

And let's face it, sometimes the truth needs to be said, even if it's going to hurt. "Being nice" is a pretty utopic view. At some point, being Genuine like you say is important, and I'd add that being genuine even if it's mean is equally important.
01/29/2016 10:55 AMPosted by Phurr

I realize we don't have a single overwhelming opinion.. more like opposing forces.

There's definitely a large group here who will willingly stamp out anything they find even remotely on any level offensive though. We know they want that and actively try to do that.

I agree about the genuine thing.. and it scares me actually. You can't use force to 'stop philosophical oppression'. It just begets more oppression.
01/29/2016 08:07 AMPosted by Berith
01/29/2016 07:59 AMPosted by Arigatou
Sexual harassment says hi!

Nothing in this thread was about sexual comments.

I think you might have replied without seeking the proper context first.

I'm quite aware that nobody made any comments about sexual harassment or of a sexual nature. I was replying to someone that was nitpicking the definition of "harassment" and saying it requires repeated behavior to qualify as harassment. I was simply pointing out that Webster's dictionary is a terrible way to define harassment within a legal context.

Edit: And after looking back, I'm just baffled by the fact I had to explain that to you, since you were the person nitpicking over a definition.
All you that want your safe spaces are welcome in my pasture?

/Moo
01/29/2016 10:41 AMPosted by Lughnasadh
01/29/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Alterlia
There is no changing the world, the world isn't that simple. Sure there might be some people that are just bullies because they didn't get enough love from mommy and daddy and just need a hug but there will always be people that just want to watch the world burn.

It's unrealistic to expect a utopian society where everyone is always pleasant towards another. We can do better, and have in other areas. Gay marriage was never thought to be possible, but it's here. Women are increasingly having a stronger role in military. And we're nearing the second term of our first black president. All of which aren't to signal the end of struggles from groups involved, but to point out there has been a lot of progression. Change is very much a possibility.

Ok fair point. I was reading your "change the world" as that you were expecting a utopian society. Small changes are very much possible and lets be honest, the changes you've mentioned while significant are pretty small in the grand scheme of things, not much more than stepping stones.

There will always be people that are giant douchebags for no other reason that the sake of being douchebags. While everyone just being nice to each other is a nice thought it's a change that will never happen as long as people have free will.
01/29/2016 11:23 AMPosted by Arigatou

I'm quite aware that nobody made any comments about sexual harassment or of a sexual nature. I was replying to someone that was nitpicking the definition of "harassment" and saying it requires repeated behavior to qualify as harassment.

Sexual harassement is a special case in that it doesn't require repetition to be deemed harassement. It doesn't even need to be harassement at all, simply saying things like "Are you wearing a Girl shirt ?" is enough to be considered Sexual Harassement (source, Ontario provincial guidelines) :

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/sexual-and-gender-based-harassment-know-your-rights-brochure

You cannot use Sexual Harassement as an example to prove a premise about Harassement because of all the special cases that fall under the umbrella of it.

Better try next time I guess.

Edit: And after looking back, I'm just baffled by the fact I had to explain that to you, since you were the person nitpicking over a definition.

Not-Edit : I'm baffled I had to prove you wrong twice. Doubling down is not a good strategy.
I really doubt they would be banned or even warned for that. It's an unpleasant thing to hear, but it's readily ignored, and the ignoring prevents further conversation.

01/29/2016 06:12 AMPosted by Kurston
The problem would only persist if they made attempts to bypass the ignore and speak to you through other means. Then, an action might be warranted.

That. If someone follows you, hopping onto alts or making new toons to continue, that does constitute harassment and should be reported.
01/29/2016 10:41 AMPosted by Lughnasadh
It's unrealistic to expect a utopian society where everyone is always pleasant towards another.

That's dystopian not utopian.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Perfect-Day-A-Novel/dp/160598129X
01/29/2016 05:45 AMPosted by Diehorde
somebody told me my mom was a hamster and i smelled of berries or some such.
I was so furious let me tell you.

Thank you for the Monty Python reference.. I needed to smile today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy4zULKFDU
rofl no you can not get banned for that. Grow some thicker skin OP.
01/29/2016 11:35 AMPosted by Berith

I'm quite aware that nobody made any comments about sexual harassment or of a sexual nature. I was replying to someone that was nitpicking the definition of "harassment" and saying it requires repeated behavior to qualify as harassment.

Sexual harassement is a special case in that it doesn't require repetition to be deemed harassement. It doesn't even need to be harassement at all, simply saying things like "Are you wearing a Girl shirt ?" is enough to be considered Sexual Harassement (source, Ontario provincial guidelines) :

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/sexual-and-gender-based-harassment-know-your-rights-brochure

You cannot use Sexual Harassement as an example to prove a premise about Harassement because of all the special cases that fall under the umbrella of it.

Better try next time I guess.

Not-Edit : I'm baffled I had to prove you wrong twice. Doubling down is not a good strategy.

Bless your heart. :)
01/29/2016 05:31 AMPosted by Qeazor
"You shall never amount to anything in real life ... you will fail your studies and never get a job ... additionally, you will never get married and never have kids, and never ever be able to reach your dreams of becoming a professor."

if some random troll can offend you with this i feel sorry for you but yeah by the strict terms they probably could be banned
01/29/2016 11:59 AMPosted by Talsett
01/29/2016 05:31 AMPosted by Qeazor
"You shall never amount to anything in real life ... you will fail your studies and never get a job ... additionally, you will never get married and never have kids, and never ever be able to reach your dreams of becoming a professor."

if some random troll can offend you with this i feel sorry for you but yeah by the strict terms they probably could be banned

They can be banned for any reason Blizzard wants, but the probability is very low. The problem is people wanting the world to be puppies and rainbows, it isn't going to happen. You can't legislate manners without removing any freedoms the people have.
I know someone who was banned for saying something similar. He said he was never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you, never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.
01/29/2016 12:33 PMPosted by Norcal
I know someone who was banned for saying something similar. He said he was never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you, never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

That's only because theyd been together for so long. He knew the rules.