When will servers become merged yet again?

General Discussion
This has probably been brought up in the past so forgive me if I speak about a cliche subject. But since many servers were merged many moons ago I am curious as to when the next major merge will happen. Because let's face it; everyone knows WoW is on a huge decline and has lost several millions of subscribers, but still has millions of active subscribers to support across all servers and it seems we are once again in the "dead server" status on several low to medium population servers.

So, I wonder if Blizzard plans on merging more low to medium population servers again or if they will just simply force player relocation and delete a bunch of servers that aren't very active. If anyone has any insight as to whether Blizzard will perform another mass server merge feel free to share!
There hasn't been a peep about it based on what I've seen.

I agree that we're due for more mergers.
next January. The numbers will go up after the next xpac. They will drop after the holidays, So late January or early Feb..
02/06/2016 02:34 PMPosted by Curtregory
The dead RP realms really need help. Merging realms would be a sign of defeat so I understand the hesitation to do so, but honestly, I don't really want to keep playing AT ALL, if it's going to be this dead on my realm.

Yeah, I think all the rp servers / all the rp-pvp servers should be merged together.
could you educate me here?

I thought "merges" were never done

realms were just "linked" like as I've been reading, Lothar is linked to Grizzly

and

as I understand it, this "linked" is just the same horse different name?
and what would they do about servers like Lothar, because of the racial disparity and people following trends and friends, the horde side is dead, ghost town. while alliance population is decently vibrant by comparison.
I know some people like busy realms but I prefer the lower population ones. I had to leave one low population realm after it became too busy because of the mergers. I honestly hope they don't merge any more of them.
They are already merged it's called CRZ. All they have to do is flip switches to make more of them join the same pool and at some times of the night that is exactly what happens.
02/06/2016 02:34 PMPosted by Curtregory
The dead RP realms really need help. Merging realms would be a sign of defeat so I understand the hesitation to do so, but honestly, I don't really want to keep playing AT ALL, if it's going to be this dead on my realm.

It's not a sign of defeat.

It's simply that the mergers didn't work the first time around. I'd argue they handled it wrong by choosing to match dead realms to dead realms instead of dead realms to active realms but what's done is done.

They can't simply merge more realms together when they don't know what population explosion might happen for Legion.

They need a better solution. Have one for them?

02/06/2016 03:25 PMPosted by Wyst
They are already merged it's called CRZ. All they have to do is flip switches to make more of them join the same pool and at some times of the night that is exactly what happens.

CRZ is not realm mergers by a long shot. It's simply multiple realms sharing the same zones for use without bringing any of the benefits actual realm mergers might bring such as the ability to join guilds and trade items.
Don't expect any more linked realms until they have an idea of the number of players in Legion.
The Blizzard preferred term is "connected".

Here's the list:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11393305/connected-realms-update-820-8-21-2014

I'm really surprised that another round of connections hasn't happened. My guess was we were due about 3 months into WoD.

Personally, I like my small quiet low pop realm -- but I love my alts and would like to be connected just so I could have more connected alts even though it would disrupt the realm culture. There are differences between realms and it is more noticeable on a small realm.

I think Blizzard did the basics of the connections well -- no one lost their name or their realm identity. You just log in like usual and there you are with more people!

However, I really think they should like at things like faction balance and keeping things at a similar ratio. That is, Garrosh has always been pretty close to 50/50 and I wouldn't want to be connected with a heavily weighted population unless it was with two realms so that it all equaled back out to that 50/50.
When the movie both fails at the box office and to increase WoW sub numbers. Then we get more merged realms.
Hope they merge soon, most servers are low pop all day. Try recruiting for a guild with no people on your server and yet somehow low pop does not get you a free transfer.

Lets hope they get smart and start merging or just do like ESO with a mega smart server, where anyone can join your guild and when they do it puts you on the server slice the guild is on.
They were never any servers merged, they were only connected. At this point I think there should be mergers and then eliminate CRZ.
12/30/2016 12:30 PMPosted by Cäynä
They were never any servers merged, they were only connected. At this point I think there should be mergers and then eliminate CRZ.

What do you think connected realms are but merged servers? That's honestly all they are. There is no effective difference other than players who had the same character name didn't have to give it up because the realm suffix allowed the game to continue to recognize them as a different character.

Saying they're "just connected" is marketing rhetoric to avoid the "oh no, they're forced to merge servers because they're losing players".
12/30/2016 01:04 PMPosted by Joynal

What do you think connected realms are but merged servers? That's honestly all they are. There is no effective difference other than players who had the same character name didn't have to give it up because the realm suffix allowed the game to continue to recognize them as a different character.

Saying they're "just connected" is marketing rhetoric to avoid the "oh no, they're forced to merge servers because they're losing players".

You are wrong. Connected realms still exist as independent realms. If they were merged there would be only be one realm and players with the same name would be flagged for name changes. The only thing that was merged were North American data centers, Phoenix with Los Angeles and New York with Chicago.
Would be nice. Ever since my low pop server was connected with a second low pop server I think I've seen it up to medium once but 99% of the time it's still low.
12/30/2016 06:55 PMPosted by Cäynä
12/30/2016 01:04 PMPosted by Joynal

You are wrong. Connected realms still exist as independent realms. If they were merged there would be only be one realm and players with the same name would be flagged for name changes. The only thing that was merged were North American data centers, Phoenix with Los Angeles and New York with Chicago.

If they weren't merged, I wouldn't be able to trade with people on Shadow Council. I wouldn't be able to join their guilds or have them join mine. I wouldn't be able to buy their items on the AH and they wouldn't be able to buy mine.

We are one. The realms are effectively merged. Get over it.

Connections WERE merges, just with a different name. CRZ addresses zone populations, not realm populations. The two features solve different problems.

12/30/2016 09:34 PMPosted by Follol
Would be nice. Ever since my low pop server was connected with a second low pop server I think I've seen it up to medium once but 99% of the time it's still low.

They increased the server capacity so everyone's status is showing emptier than they're used to. Not because there are fewer people, but because they can now hold so many more.