Please restore the Night Elves!

General Discussion
I have a request to Blizzard's lore & storytelling team: Restore the kal'dorei, the Night Elves, to a version closer to their original concept. Please re-instate the Night Elves to their former identity and greatness.

I recognize that in Classic WoW, there was very little representation of the (boring, cliched & one-dimensional) Tolkien elf. However, with the advent of Blood elves, and High elves, this need for an overly-refined, high-fantasy race has been met.

It's time to return the Night Elves to their classic WC3 roots - secretive, arrogant, xenophobic and savage (sorry to use this buzzword).

NE characters are like Malfurion (biggest culprit) are too sagelike. Give us more WC3 Tyrande, TFT Maiev, and Classic - WotLK Fandral. Fandral is probably the best example of a night elf in the "modern" world. He lives in the city, but is intensely proud of his heritage, a mighty general, and a smart political leader.

Let's leave Rivendell, the standing around, the birdie-and-beastie-loving for Ranger General Lor'themar. Acknowledge the NE's distinct, drow-like roots in WoW.

"These women fight with unmatched savagery! I've never seen their equal. They are... perfect warriors."
—Grom Hellscream

"Many craven races have tempted our wrath over the centuries. None have survived!"
—Maiev Shadowsong

"They are mongrels, and nothing more! They are responsible for Cenarius' death! I will be damned before I stand with them."
—Tyrande Whisperwind, on orcs

"They almost look like elves. But they are far too tall, and far too savage."
—Grom Hellscream
" Times change."

The Night Elves mixed with the other races of the Alliance and it changed them, perhaps not completely culturally, but in their hearts. They learned that the other races had things to offer them just as they had to the other races. Their ultimate goal is to protect the wild places but also the world itself. The other races assist with that because deep down there are similarities.

They can still be arrogant but they've never been anything like Drow except to Orcs willy-nilly cutting down their trees. They're the complete inversion of Drow for good reason just as High Elves are the complete inversion of every fair-skinned and fair-haired elf in fiction. If anything, they're closer to Tolkein's Wood Elves than they ever were to Drow.

Also, I can't let this pass:
01/05/2016 07:48 AMPosted by Khelekh
Let's leave Rivendell, the standing around, the birdie-and-beastie-loving for Ranger General Lor'themar.

The Blood Elves don't care about nature beyond sustaining it for their own needs. A few high-level rangers might care for the wild-places, but High Elves are more about magical power than protecting the wild.
It's time to return the Night Elves to their classic WC3 roots - secretive, arrogant, xenophobic and savage (sorry to use this buzzword).

The thing is though, they aren't like that anymore. Or at least they've tried to change themselves from that. Since they lost their immortality they made a concerted shift to be more open to allow themselves to better ally with other races for their own sake as well as the world's.

I do think it would be cool if their appearance reflected their savagery more though. The males especially. Their models compared to their artwork is just abysmal.
You can't be a BAMF and live in a tree.
01/05/2016 08:01 AMPosted by Magnarok

The thing is though, they aren't like that anymore. Or at least they've tried to change themselves from that. Since they lost their immortality they made a concerted shift to be more open to allow themselves to better ally with other races for their own sake as well as the world's.

I do think it would be cool if their appearance reflected their savagery more though. The males especially. Their models compared to their artwork is just abysmal.

My bad that I didn't get it across in my OP... but my point is that you can be open, let down your guards, and mingle, but still retain characteristics like arrogance, steadfastness, and cultural pride. Millenia of habits and experience just don't go down the drain.

Leopards don't change their spots overnight.
Will Legion see the restoration of the kal'dorei? or are we to expect more Tolkienization?
I'm just hoping someday to see the female model resemble their concept art.
You're mistaking World of Warcraft for a game where races other than Orcs and Humans are allowed to be important.
RIP Payne (is that how her name is spelled? I haven't read the book in awhile)
kal'dorei

stop this, there is no apostrophe in kaldorei
Joining the Alliance ruined the night elves because it required them to be subservient to humans. The problem is, night elves were more powerful than the humans. This meant they had to be beaten up, weakened, and deprived of their original alliances.

By any logic the night elves should be the most powerful race in the Alliance. And there was a time when night elves were the face of the Alliance. That time has passed. Blizzard has now gone full retard on "MUH ORCS AND HUMANS!"

Would have been better if night elves were a 3rd faction from the start of the game. They might not have sucked so hard from Cata until now.

Oh, and let's not forget Blizzard retconning orcs and humans into War of the Ancients, because heaven forbid there's a story line without them.
08/05/2016 11:27 PMPosted by Battlemaiden
kal'dorei

stop this, there is no apostrophe in kaldorei

but but but it looks cool :c
08/05/2016 11:31 PMPosted by Adelphie
Joining the Alliance ruined the night elves because it required them to be subservient to humans. The problem is, night elves were more powerful than the humans. This meant they had to be beaten up, weakened, and deprived of their original alliances.

By any logic the night elves should be the most powerful race in the Alliance. And there was a time when night elves were the face of the Alliance. That time has passed. Blizzard has now gone full retard on "MUH ORCS AND HUMANS!"

Would have been better if night elves were a 3rd faction from the start of the game. They might not have sucked so hard from Cata until now.

Oh, and let's not forget Blizzard retconning orcs and humans into War of the Ancients, because heaven forbid there's a story line without them.

In Legion there's a quest where that part of the War of the Ancients is made canon.

How about we use the Exodar has a bomber and drop Mana Bombs on the Orcs and Humans.
08/05/2016 11:38 PMPosted by Pouncey
In Legion there's a quest where that part of the War of the Ancients is made canon.

Sometimes I wish we could just start WoW over with night elves as a 3rd faction and retcon large parts of what happened in WoW.

And never hire Knaak to write books. Why did they hire someone who clearly hates night elves to write multiple night elf books? What the hell?
08/05/2016 11:39 PMPosted by Adelphie

Sometimes I wish we could just start WoW over with night elves as a 3rd faction and retcon large parts of what happened in WoW.

And never hire Knaak to write books. Why did they hire someone who clearly hates night elves to write multiple night elf books? What the hell?
Because he has the same views on them as the devs.

Yuck.

Terrible writing aside, it is offensive that Blizzard doesn't trust their audience's intelligence to embrace a story if it doesn't have a human (or orc) protagonist.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

My bad that I didn't get it across in my OP... but my point is that you can be open, let down your guards, and mingle, but still retain characteristics like arrogance, steadfastness, and cultural pride. Millenia of habits and experience just don't go down the drain.

It hasn't been overnight. It's quite literally been over the past 10,000 years since the Well of Eternity blew up and they lost their immortality.

And no, you can't be open and still be arrogant or prideful. That'd be an oxymoron.

Again, not to overuse the word, but there was quite literally an entire plotline in Pandaria about how Emperor Shaohao was never able to defeat the Sha and the remnants of Y'shaarj because he could never admit he needed help, because he was too arrogant and full of Pride. The Sha of Pride was his downfall. He was not open, because he refused to be. He buried what remained of the heart, and with it, the Sha of Pride, because he refused to admit he needed help. If he had just been open about it, and admitted he needed help, Pandaria likely would've conquered the Sha long before we arrived. He had defeated and imprison the remains of the other six, but because Pride survived, the other six were able to regenerate over time.

Shaohao admits his faults in the final quests of Pandaria, added in patch 5.4, and tells the Pandaren that although the Alliance and Horde may have caused devastation to the Vale and Pandaria, they're Pandaria's only hope for freedom, for in times of great need, they'll even pass through warlines to reach out for help from one another, and as such, they are the ones who can truly conquer the Sha of Pride.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It hasn't been overnight. It's quite literally been over the past 10,000 years since the Well of Eternity blew up and they lost their immortality.

And no, you can't be open and still be arrogant or prideful. That'd be an oxymoron.

Again, not to overuse the word, but there was quite literally an entire plotline in Pandaria about how Emperor Shaohao was never able to defeat the Sha and the remnants of Y'shaarj because he could never admit he needed help, because he was too arrogant and full of Pride. The Sha of Pride was his downfall. He was not open, because he refused to be. He buried what remained of the heart, and with it, the Sha of Pride, because he refused to admit he needed help. If he had just been open about it, and admitted he needed help, Pandaria likely would've conquered the Sha long before we arrived.

Shaohao admits his faults in the final quests of Pandaria, added in patch 5.4, and tells the Pandaren that although the Alliance and Horde may have caused devastation to the Vale and Pandaria, they're Pandaria's only hope for freedom, for in times of great need, they'll even pass through warlines to reach out for help from one another, and as such, they are the ones who can truly conquer the Sha of Pride.

It has been ~10 years since they have lost their immortality. 10 years to a previously immortal being is like a blink of an eye.

I am missing the Shaohao connection to this topic. You seem to have misunderstood my point which is: you can choose to engage with the world but at the end of the day believe that your way is better. That is being proud and not isolationist.
08/05/2016 11:16 PMPosted by Pouncey
You're mistaking World of Warcraft for a game where races other than Orcs and Humans are allowed to be important.

The dreanei were allowed to be a little important in WoD and look what happened to them. Genocide.

You gotta have that Metzenite plot armor to survive the spotlight in WoW.