Is 100g not enough for a mage portal?

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16 18 Next
I NEVER charge for ports... not sure why people cant just be nice and do it for free... it feels much better when you do it for free imo.
I always tip other people for portals but I never charge. Heck, if they're low level I'll even follow them and fly them where they need to go. Some people are just rude. It feels good to help out
I charge people if they want a shield. Up front before the instance.
A good portion of the WOW player base has a very septic attitude towards players. My advice to you is join a good and helpful guild and ask for help in GC. spamming strangers will usually get you heckled.
01/09/2016 06:14 PMPosted by Valarenn
Who's the lazy one though?

The person not willing to walk there for 5-10 minutes, or the person not willing to invite someone to a group and click a single button for 30 seconds.

This would assume the mage has any interest at all in OP getting where OP wants to go.
So ill give out portals for free when im sitting around doing absolutly nothing on my mage. But, 90% of the time im forming up my raid for mythic HFC, gather mats for the nights, and talking to over 20 people at 1 time. When all of a sudden, John doe give me what i want right now, wispers me "port to where ever" opens trade with 100g. No asking politely, no patience. Then when i cancel the trades and go about my business they get pissed. So yea i can understand why some mages say 2k gold for a port. Its not about the actually portal, its about showing that my time is as valuable as yours if you are in such a rush you need me to drop everything im doing to join your group and port you.

Advice to get where you want to go from a mage, ask politely, and be patient. If they dont respond after a min or so, just move on. Most mages will do it for free regardless, the tip should just be a token of appreciation.
When i'm on my mage i port for free too, but if they are near me. But you can't expect everyone be like you.
01/07/2016 07:13 PMPosted by Gillrien
Did I just hit a bad night, or is this how people are now?

I was on my alt and asked for a portal to vale for 100g in trade; there were no replies so I started to whisper mages in Stormshield.

People don't want to be whispered asking them to do something. This is the same as you are walking down a street and someone comes up and starts talking, expecting you to stop, listen to them and then do something for them. It is rude. Very rude.

Allmost any mage who will do it for 100g will also do it for 10g, and most of them for free. The issue is whether they are BUSY DOING OTHER THINGS, or just hanging around. If hanging around, they may respond to your asking in chat. I cannot imagine anyone saying "yes" to a whisper but 'no' to the chat general ask.

Many of us mages have been burned in the past. We agree to do a port, stop what we are doing, and either travel for minutes within the city, or even port from another city and then travel, to get to the player who needs us....9 times out of 10, the player doesn't WAIT for us, so we get there and he's gone. He has found some other port-person or changed his mind or logged off. Whichever it is, he didn't bother to /whisper us telling us he is "cancelling" his request to us, which we are in the process of fulfilling.
01/07/2016 07:13 PMPosted by Gillrien
Did I just hit a bad night, or is this how people are now?

I was on my alt and asked for a portal to vale for 100g in trade; there were no replies so I started to whisper mages in Stormshield.
Iwas pretty polite, asked if I could please have a portal to vale and that I'd tip 100g. The first mage replied "It thinks it knows us, but it can't control us" and logged off.. okay then!

Second mage replied "2k", I laughed because I thought he was joking. Apparently not, because the next reply was "Then walk there you lazy !@#$".

What's wrong with people? I port people on my mage for free, if they're in another city I even come to them. Is this just the general attitude to strangers in the game now, or is it just me?

Stop tipping them then.
01/07/2016 07:37 PMPosted by Adelphie
01/07/2016 07:25 PMPosted by Urvara
Because I was new, and had no idea it existed.

You were supposed to be telling me about those kinds of things, not tricking and killing me with them.

But it works best on the naive and trusting.

That's why I ask for the portal to Shrine of 2 Moons, or 7 Stars for alliance. After that, I talk to the shrine inkeeper and set my hearth there, that way I have ALL the portals at my disposal, including the portal to the REAL Dalaran. That way, I only have to ask for a one-time portal AND not deal with douchebag mages that summon the Dalaran crater.
I do it for free or 25 gold lol. If someone offers 100 sure I'l take it but I never will ask for anything. It's only taking 50 seconds out of your day to create a portal that takes like 8 seconds to cast.
It's cause you're alliance where all the edgelords play
if anyone remembers horde in 2007 its pretty much the opposite situation now lol, horde are all 30+ carebears and alliance has more angsty preteens
i don't know if its still the case but inviting someone into your group to give them a port would lose you your place in a queue..

Some queues can take over 30mins so it's understandable why some mage wouldn't give you a port.

Also, whilst giving a port if you are not busy is the decent thing to do I am sure some get annoyed by people constantly asking. can't I just be left alone in SW browsing the AH without being annoyed by someone???
01/10/2016 01:05 PMPosted by Murderation
It's cause you're alliance where all the edgelords play
if anyone remembers horde in 2007 its pretty much the opposite situation now lol, horde are all 30+ carebears and alliance has more angsty preteens
Your name makes me think you have a murdering mentality and can offer no explanation for it...;)
I do portals for free as well.

Though if I'm in a queue waiting I hate to drop it.

I'd love to be able to drop a portal anyone can use.

Though the queues are shorter, so if it is early I'll drop and port.
BTW, I did a port for free today. A level 25 wanted to travel from Silvermoon to Orgrimmar. They asked twice in trade and I offered to come pick them up. As a 40-something mage on that realm, I don't have a lot of options to offer but I could do that.

On the other hand, I accepted the 300g for a guild signature I was offered. I have a character specifically made to sign charters. Usually I do them for free, but since I had already done my good deed for the day by doing the port, I took the payment :)
I port for free. If people try to give me gold, I don't accept the trade. They were jerks. :(
Am I the only one who travels to places on their own and doesn't waste 15 minutes begging for a portal? The time you would have wasted waiting, you could have taken the portal from SW.

Sure those mages are being !@#$%^-s, but you're being lazy. :|
01/11/2016 12:13 AMPosted by Aathea
Am I the only one who travels to places on their own and doesn't waste 15 minutes begging for a portal? The time you would have wasted waiting, you could have taken the portal from SW.

Sure those mages are being !@#$%^-s, but you're being lazy. :|

Not to mention it was on my alt who unfortunately wasn't the right level to take the SW portal to Pandaria, or could fly to Vale even if I could.