Why did they censored Sylvanas?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
02/04/2016 08:48 AMPosted by Lokka
I don't want sex stripped out of the game. I like the sex. I just want it to be saved for characters it actually makes sense for.

It's been a minute and I'm surprised you haven't been downvoted into oblivion yet.
02/04/2016 05:58 AMPosted by Omne
Holy crap she got new armor for her new position and the giant legion crapstorm that's coming. Get over it.

Why are people calling the change armor? At best it's depicted as a thin underlayer of cotton or body paint.

If the argument is that showing skin isn't realistic (lol) because makes her vulnerable and she needs to protect her rotting undead organs from the Legion, then cotton or paint isn't going to make a difference.

It's a blatant change to please a specific set of people. The articles back it up.

The worst part about it, is that it looks awful and doesn't match. My Queen has betrayed me.
It just wouldn't do to make Sylvanas be a turn-on. Have we forgotten she's the rebel without a pulse these days? As one of the undead (specifically a banshee), her body temperature is the same as whatever room she's in. She's a corpse who isn't taking the dirt nap.

There's something really sick and twisted about going on about how hot she supposedly is. I mean, where do you guys cruise? Mortuaries?
Alexstraza's design may have...detracted a lot from "this character is a dragon god" but it could at least be justified as (a) it's all a magic illusion because this is a shapeshifting giant dragon, and (b) she's the life aspect, which includes the sexy.

Sylvanas OTOH...

(1) Is stated repeatedly to loathe her appearance and general existence,
(2) Is blue because this is a reanimated corpse that has been through a lot and should be sorta rotten,
(3) Is quite concerned about dying and her armor is her actual armor,
(4) and is about as romantically inclined as a lich.

It makes no sense other than as fap material.
02/04/2016 08:57 AMPosted by Nachtwind
(2) Is blue because this is a reanimated corpse that has been through a lot and should be sorta rotten,

WoW apparently has a different idea of a banshee than the traditional version from Irish folklore. WoW's version seems to be a zombie that has a powerful wail.

The actual banshee is a spirit, so it shouldn't have any kind of body, rotten or otherwise. Seeing a banshee or hearing its keening is supposed to fortell the death of a family member.
02/04/2016 08:48 AMPosted by Lokka
But when you take the single most important and powerful member of an entire faction - its leader, no less - and stick her in a sexy outfit despite every last aspect of her characterization being about as estranged from any form of sexuality as you can possibly get, that's not empowering a woman's sexuality

I don't necessarily believe that dressing in a skimpy manner has anything to do with sex or sexuality, and I think it's important that young people growing up come to understand that. In nations where nudity is the norm, there is far less abuse. There is no issue about linking crimes of that nature to what a woman was or wasn't wearing thereby inviting fault (yeah, there really are people that think like that).

As for Sylvanas, her body was important to her, both in life and after death. Also, in W3 you don't really see a lot of people. You see characters on a screen, a giant weapon and cloaks mostly. There's nothing in HD, and the most character detail happened in the dialogue box. As far as clothing went, Sylvanas did like dressing in a scantily-clad manner.

I don't think that having someone's character depicted in a certain manner should in any way determine what a person should be wearing. If it was a guy who one day started wearing nicer clothing, would there be an outcry over this "fan-service"? Of course not.

Having Sylvanas depicted as a kick-!@# fighter who was too busy to make any mention of her clothing shouldn't relegate her into being covered up to a particular extent or in revealing clothing to any extent for forever and ever.

I prefer to live by the mantra "never judge a book by its cover". And to remember that making any sort of assumption about a woman's clothing being some sort of statement or insight into her sexuality being something that can very easily and quickly get you into all sorts of trouble. And deservedly so.

Like Snowfox, I too have noticed a disturbing trend from Blizzard where females are getting more and more covered, with skimpy gear becoming rare.
I prefer matching armor that looks good. With Sylvanas making a new suit, with some horridly ugly brown leather patches. I'm not too keen on her new model at the moment. I'd rather they use her Heroes of the Storm Outfit.

A skimy outfit is all great and dandy. We see Jaina with a belly exposed, low cut tunic on. Alexstraza and Ysera's humanoid models are similar in fashion with a bikini set. They look great. Howewver a full suit of armor can just be as good. Take a look to me who has made a good armor outfit without showing off much skin.

I love skimpy armor myself. I collected it. I have a whitemane armor set, and some of the Glorious plate-kini armor. It's all a matter of looking good. Or looking like things match. If they wanted Sylvanas to wear a bit more, there wasn't much that changed outside of wearing pants and an undershirt.
I am in the camp of people that while I favor freedom, I would be lying if I didn't find a lot skimpy outfits incredibly beautiful and gorgeous.

Part of what's attractive about wow is being that sexy draenei or being that sexy night elf chick. I don't see anything wrong with it.
It wouldn't have bothered me in the least if it was an aesthetic change, or a lore change. The only reason it happened was a dad got embarrassed about the facts of life. That's it.
I think you're misusing the word "Censored" here for one. For another, I personally love her look. I like knowing she has on armor that may actually protect her from the battle she's digging herself into. She's a strong character (to me) no matter what she wears. I'd think if I were her, I'd want a change of outfit now and then too.

Characters evolve and change. Their armor and outfits are going to change. Thrall is just one example of how what he wore was a reflection of the changes he went through. Other characters are bound to see evolutions and changes as they make sense both in their visual representation and in their stories.

These types of discussions while generally welcome when kept clean, are often just minefields for some inappropriate discussions. I'd like to please caution everyone to not get into the quagmire that results in personal attacks or mud slinging. Art is subjective and what one person interprets something to mean or be may not be what someone else interprets something to be. What one person likes, may not be what someone else likes. That's OK. Just remember that there's no place here for venom toward anyone for those likes or dislikes.
02/04/2016 09:21 AMPosted by Nethaera
I think you're misusing the word "Censored" here for one. For another, I personally love her look. I like knowing she has on armor that may actually protect her from the battle she's digging herself into. She's a strong character (to me) no matter what she wears. I'd think if I were her, I'd want a change of outfit now and then too.

Characters evolve and change. Their armor and outfits are going to change. Thrall is just one example of how what he wore was a reflection of the changes he went through. Other characters are bound to see evolutions and changes as they make sense both in their visual representation and in their stories.

These types of discussions while generally welcome when kept clean, are often just minefields for some inappropriate discussions. I'd like to please caution everyone to not get into the quagmire that results in personal attacks or mud slinging. Art is subjective and what one person interprets something to mean or be may not be what someone else interprets something to be. What one person likes, may not be what someone else likes. That's OK. Just remember that there's no place here for venom toward anyone for those likes or dislikes.

Yea I love clashing colors and chunks of an outfit that were obvious afterthoughts!

If youre gonna cover her up then at least make it look good.
02/04/2016 09:21 AMPosted by Nethaera

I get that.. So do a lot of others.. Heck my characters change their look thanks to the TMog system. However I think a lot of people feel that the change was made due to pressures from outside of Blizzard. Myself included.
Does the art-work go before other employees for peer-review or is it just whatever the artist wants to communicate?
Go to deviant art.

Can get all your pixel fantasy's of Sylvannas all on one page if you want.

Problem solved OP.
She was hardly censored...just another one of her many design changes.
02/04/2016 09:27 AMPosted by Ifossa
Go to deviant art.

Can get all your pixel fantasy's of Sylvannas all on one page if you want.

Problem solved OP.

Troll harder.
Going for E for everyone?
http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/resized/490273.jpg

Is this still her model? I think she looks great. The only change I would make is giving the brown armor a reddish hue like the rest of her gear.