New Squirt Stratigies (countering the nerf)

Pet Battles
Most of us regulars here have now seen the blue post with the pet battle balancing/tuning changes for Legion.

While I applaud most of the changes, one does concern me - the addition of a 1-round CD to Cleave, used by Weeabomination. Weeabomination is the cornerstone of the most popular leveling strategy for Squirt.

But rather than simply complain and moan, I decided to come up with a reliable, alternate strategy, of decent fight length for leveling a pet off of Squirt. I've spent the last couple hours trying different things and seeing what works.

The old strategy, for reference:
(condensed version - see any of Kalyn's posts for details...)

Enter your Enchanted Broom against Deebs
/use Sweep - causes Puzzle to replace Deebs)
Swap to a leveling pet; Puzzle will "evade".
Swap to Weeabomination
/use Cleave - cleave ALL the things...
/repeat last step
Weeabomination will kill the back line pets, but likely die before killing Puzzle
Enter your Broom again, and bop it on head to win.
--------------------------

My requirements for a replacement strategy:

1) It should be no harder to set up than the current strategy. No super-rare, unobtainable pets that only a small percentage of the playerbase has. (eg. no Blizzcon Murlocs, Collector's Edition pets, or even TCG pets for that matter)

2) The fight should be take a reasonable length of time. My Ruby Droplet can solo Squirt, given 10 minutes. I don't feel like this is practical, not for leveling pets at least.

3) It should be reliable. I've tried some other strategies that use MPD, or others to support a leveling pet, but they don't always succeed. A leveling strategy should be consistently good, with only the worst of RNG halting it.

What I've come up with (so far):

Leveling Pet (at least level 5)
Nightshade Sproutling (S/S - Ninja Breed preferred)
Undead pet of your choice...

Enter your leveling pet, and use a single ability against Deebs.
Swap out the next round for Nightshade Sproutling (NsS)
/use Blinding Poison - if your NsS if faster Deebs will be 100% blinded for 2 rounds
/use Call Darkness - NsS is an elemental, and therefore ignores the hit debuff from this weather effect
/use Lash until Deebs is dead.

Tyri will enter next.
/use Blinding Poison - again, blinded for two turns
/use Call Darkness
/use Lash until Tyri is dead

Puzzle will enter last.
/use Call Darkness if off CD, else Lash
Puzzle uses Evade
/use Lash - it will be wasted on evade
/use Blinding Poison on CD from this point on
/use Call Darkness on CD from this point on
/use Lash as fill.

IF YOUR SPROUTLING DIES - swap to your undead pet and use that to take down Puzzle.

Advantages:
-It is a fairly quick fight, NsS makes short work of all three enemies.

-All pets are obtainable in game, albeit rare, but obtainable.

Disadvantages:
- Does require a faster NsS. Mine is S/S; I suppose any _/S breed might also work, but haven't access to one right now to test.* S/S Sproutlings aren't always the easiest pet to get.

- Slightly RNG-based. I have had the NsS solo the fight a few times, I've also seen him die shortly after Puzzle comes out. In these cases I have used a H/H Bone Serpent to finish off Puzzle. Really, any undead should work here.

- Requires at least a level 5 pet. This is because of the initial hit off of Deebs, and some AoE coming in from Tyri. This makes it less flexible than the original strategy at the top, where you can swap in a lvl 1 without worry.
--------------------------

If anyone wants to help test/refine this method, or has found other strategies that are fairly quick, reliable, and obtainable to most players, share your thoughts here!

Happy Battles.
~Zookeeper Xian Lei

*Edit: After looking up and comparing the stats for S/S Sproutlings and for mixed-speed sproutlings, the S/S breed is the only viable one for this strategy. The advantage of effectively blocking two whole attacks by using blinding poison first is just too much to give up. (Puzzle is the fastest enemy on the three, with a speed of 301)
This thread makes me wonder if Tyri's "cleave" will also be on one turn cooldown.

As for Squirt I have never done the level one pet carry strat on her. I have done the level 5 or so carry strat which is easier now since I keep my Halloween pets up.

Scourge Whelpling, Stitched Pup, and my carry pet.

Deebs
Scourge Whelpling will only use Tail Sweep on the first pet. I like to get the Whelpling's health very low for when Tyri comes up. This will normal take about 5 turns.

Tyri
You want the whelpling health low enough so Call Darkness (hits for 493hp) will kill it. You can either Tail Sweep here or cast Death and Decay(mainly what I use). On the undead turn Tyri will cast Surge of Light and the whelpling dies. In comes the Pup.

This part has the biggest rng component due to call darkness. Most of the time you will have luck on your side and every hit will land.
Howl
Diseased Bite
and if needed Diseased Bite

If everything goes south and your howl or a bite misses restarting the battle is the best bet here. This does not happen a lot but there is a chance of misses happening.

Puzzle
Switch to carry pet
Deebs will Dodge, switch back to Pup
Howl
Diseased Bite
Diseased Bite

From what I noticed about Puzzle if his health hits below 300hp (100% on this number) he will cast Portal after the first Diseased Bite then he will cast Dodge again. Use this time to heal up with Consume Corpse. You can then just use Diseased Bite to finish killing Puzzle.

While not perfect this is what I use.
I've had a lot of luck with Triple Peddlefeet.

Round One: Use Peddlefeet abilities. Each Peddlefeet ability will cause euphoria and happiness and a palpable rise in endorphins.
Round Two through Victory: continue with those abilities. By the time the match is wrapping up you should be so happy that really winning or losing or XP should be completely secondary ideas far in the back of your mind.

tl:dr - honestly this post wasn't that long. Admittedly it was fully without content, but still Buff Peddlefeet.
02/13/2016 04:52 PMPosted by Zepp
I've had a lot of luck with Triple Peddlefeet.

Round One: Use Peddlefeet abilities. Each Peddlefeet ability will cause euphoria and happiness and a palpable rise in endorphins.
Round Two through Victory: continue with those abilities. By the time the match is wrapping up you should be so happy that really winning or losing or XP should be completely secondary ideas far in the back of your mind.

tl:dr - honestly this post wasn't that long. Admittedly it was fully without content, but still Buff Peddlefeet.

I've been trying this strat all day and can't get it to work. Peddlefeet sucks!

Or maybe I suck.

Buff Hudax.
02/13/2016 07:29 PMPosted by Hudax
Buff Hudax.

I can get on board with this. BUFF HUDAX!
I'd just switch to my double mpd team. It does have about a 10% fail rate due to darkness (10% miss). I have a 4 other strats (2 posted) but double mpd is hard to screw up. Also, it's incredibly easy to obtain in game.
I've always had great luck with one MPD. The only time RNG really bothers me is Tyri's darkness. Other than that it is extremely reliable.
ive come up with a lot of different strats for squirt, my two favourites are:

S/S Bronze Whelpling / Spectral Tiger Cub (or Widget the Departed)
it's 100% consistent and can be used with any level carry and takes about 1 minute 20 seconds.

Start with bronze whelpling
1. tail sweep
2. tail sweep
3. tail sweep
4. tail sweep (Deebs is dead)
5. early advantage (bronze whelpling dead)
6. select spectral tiger cub and use spectral strike (tyri dead)
7. switch to carry
8. switch back to spectral tiger cub
9. prowl
10. spectral strike (puzzle dead)

when i get lazy i just put the carry pet in first (should be level 2) and use one of the two p/p birds with the nocturnal / flock combo (can't remember their names atm) to finish off tyri and puzzle since it's less easier for me to mess up. also 100% consistent. they can be used in combination with the s/s bronze whelpling, or combined with a p/p or p/s wolf or fox. though sometimes the wolf/foxes dont die to tyri's call darkness and it takes an extra round.
02/15/2016 10:17 AMPosted by Alonnie
S/S Bronze Whelpling / Spectral Tiger Cub (or Widget the Departed)it's 100% consistent and can be used with any level carry and takes about 1 minute 20 seconds.

That one is intriguing to me, mainly because it's two pets I don't use very often. I'll have to try it out this next time around!

Yeah, when it comes to the battles myself, I feel like I have worse than average RNG. The MPD strats seem to have a 25% fail ratio for me. I'm glad others like them and have found them useful, but my preference is for something a bit more solid.
02/16/2016 07:34 AMPosted by Xianlei
Yeah, when it comes to the battles myself, I feel like I have worse than average RNG. The MPD strats seem to have a 25% fail ratio for me. I'm glad others like them and have found them useful, but my preference is for something a bit more solid.

This is a great point. I really feel like any strat that is not 100% is almost the same as me picking three random pets.

Remember when hit percentage was a thing? Although your character usually started with a measly 8% Hit deficiency to make up for, anyone who did not address it would find their DPS dropping dramatically because a miss equals zero damage. That 8% added up to a lot.

It's the same for a 10% RNG Strat. Each time you lose, the efficiency is dramatically effected. That lost time adds up.

it's 100% consistent and can be used with any level carry and takes about 1 minute 20 seconds.

I'm excited to try this. I'm probably just going to use the Lil XT strat, but it is always nice to have a backup plan.

Start with bronze whelpling
1. tail sweep
2. tail sweep
3. tail sweep
4. tail sweep (Deebs is dead)
5. early advantage (bronze whelpling dead)
6. select spectral tiger cub and use spectral strike (tyri dead)
7. switch to carry
8. switch back to spectral tiger cub
9. prowl
10. spectral strike (puzzle dead)

when i get lazy i just put the carry pet in first (should be level 2) and use one of the two p/p birds with the nocturnal / flock combo (can't remember their names atm) to finish off tyri and puzzle since it's less easier for me to mess up. also 100% consistent. they can be used in combination with the s/s bronze whelpling, or combined with a p/p or p/s wolf or fox. though sometimes the wolf/foxes dont die to tyri's call darkness and it takes an extra round.

I just wanted to come back and say that this strat works very well so far. I am using Widget for my trials, but so far it has been very solid. 10 rounds and level 1 carry safe is a pretty good combo.

EDIT: I haven't had it happen yet, but if I were to crit on Deebs in the first round, I could see that messing things up. Again, hasn't happened yet for me.
02/16/2016 07:55 AMPosted by Zepp

I'm excited to try this. I'm probably just going to use the Lil XT strat, but it is always nice to have a backup plan.

I tried this today, and I'm a fan. This is a fun strat and works like crazy.

This strat meets all the criteria for valid Weebroom replacement. Level 1 friendly. Easy. Fast.
02/28/2016 04:12 PMPosted by Jere

[/quote]

I just wanted to come back and say that this strat works very well so far. I am using Widget for my trials, but so far it has been very solid. 10 rounds and level 1 carry safe is a pretty good combo.

EDIT: I haven't had it happen yet, but if I were to crit on Deebs in the first round, I could see that messing things up. Again, hasn't happened yet for me.

Very first time I tried this, got a crit on Deebs in the first round, and it still worked perfectly because of the magic racial limiting damage, it didn't cause any issues.

Very nice strat. Not as mindless as weebroom, but I think I can learn it.
I've always used Fjord Worg Pup (Must be the P/P Breed), Ghostly Skull, and a carry of any level. Open with the Worg.

Dazzling Dance
Howl
Bite
Bite
Bite
(Deebs should be dead at this point)
Howl again for Tyri
Bite (Worg should die at this point, if it doesn't just keep biting until it does)
Ghostly Skull opens with Shadow Slash for Tyri's last Howl, but if it misses due to Darkness use Ghostly Bite. This DOES stun the skull, but it doesn't matter since it finishes Tyri off
When Puzzle comes out, swap to the carry, and swap back to Ghostly Skull.
Shadow Slash
Ghostly Bite.

I've lost literally once in hundreds of attempts for this one. It's really easy to work with.
Very nice strat. Not as mindless as weebroom, but I think I can learn it.

Thanks. :) This should be an easier version with less pet switching and button pushing.
(I haven't yet tested these pets together, but it should work.)

S/S Bronze Whelpling / Ikky (or Veilwatcher Hatchling)

Start with carry pet (must be level 2+)
1. pass
2. switch to bronze whelpling
3. tail sweep
4. tail sweep
5. tail sweep
6. tail sweep (deebs dead)
7. early advantage (bronze whelpling dead)
8. switch to Ikky and use nocturnal strike (tyri dead)
9. flock
10. --
11. --
12. nocturnal strike
I'm bringing this back to the front page because Squirt is in the garrison today and some people might like to try some of these strats. :)
So after several hours of testing, I have not yet failed on the Bronze Whelpling/Spectral Tiger strat.

The only way I can see a failure is if the Whelpling crits on the first three Tail Sweeps, which does 35% damage on each turn to Deebs. This has not happened yet.

I HAVE gotten three crits in a row, but they were on the second, third, and fourth Tail Sweeps, so this will likely happen sometime today.

I will update as I test.

Edit: Because of the dragonkin racial, only the first TWO Tail sweeps need to crit, I just realized.

Still hasn't happened, but I'm watching for it.
Too brain drained from work to really experiment this morning....
Going to stick with
Mechanical Pandarean Dragon (breath, tbolt,decoy)
Scourged Whelpling (tail, Death, blood)
leveler

MPD vs Deebs Tbolt,Breath 3 or 4 times, Deebs dead
vs Tyri, Decoy, Tbolt, Breath thill dead
swap in leveler, swap out
vs Puzzle, same as Tyri
If needed SW, death, blood, tail

nice and nearly mindless "-)
This is what I've been using because I like to carry 2 level pets (this is a strat I found on wowhead and tweaked it a little):

Use Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling + two carry pets

vs. Deebs:
Round 1: Thunderbolt
Round 2-5: Breath x4 until Deebs dies.

vs. Tyri
Round 6: Decoy
Round 7: Thunderbolt
Round 8-10: Breath x3 until Tyril dies.
* If he isn’t dead on Breath#4, you can forfeit or keep going and pray to the RNG gods.

vs. Puzzle
Round 11: Breath
Round 12: Swap Carry #1
Round 13: Swap Carry #2
Round 14: Swap back to MPD
Round 15: Decoy (you might not need this if he's almost dead)
Round 16: Thunderbolt
Round 17: Breath
Round 18: Breath
After hours of testing, I have come to a few conclusions regarding the Bronze Whelp/Spectral Tiger strat:

I am lucky. I have never seen the triple crit that could cost me the game.

I am really, really bad at remembering to swap back to the carry after spectral tiger, and then back to tiger.

While this strat, in a perfect world, is way faster than the Weebroom animation, Weebroom is MUCH less likely for me to fail on when at work. I think I've had to restart at least 40-50% of the time because I forget to swap. That's lost XP in my eyes.

So I will keep the Bronze Whelpling/Spectral Tiger for the times I can devote my full attention to pet leveling, and not the times when I'm distracted at my desk.

All in all, good strat. But someone mentioned an XT strat, can anyone share that one? Just for checks? Thanks!