Epic Battle Pet Stones in Legion

Pet Battles
Prev 1 19 20 21 26 Next
Epic stones should work like the holiday upgrades to our Garrisons. Apply your first stone and all -- and I do mean all -- of your battle pets double in size (for example). Second stone and they all have sparkles over their heads. Another and they all walk in void zones. You get the idea. Effects are cosmetic only. They can be turned on and off individually once earned, perhaps through battle masters or stable masters. And they are limited in number to again allow us to both go on the hunt and then be done with it.

I sorta like the idea of something new in Legion beyond new captures. However, it needs to be achievable with modest effort that in no way resembles getting 800-ish pets to 25 and rare. Been there, done with that.
The problem I am having with this change is that there is absolutely no context.

Will rares be phased out for epics in everyday gameplay? Will bosses be retuned? Did the barrier to entry just jump as farmable bosses now have a bump in quality requirements? Or are we just going to have that much of an easier time vs. legendary pets? Are there going to be wild epics out in the world sending us out a hunting again? Or are we going to have to farm these stones up one by one for every. single. pet. These questions are not being answered, and I for one would love more info then a tweet or a bit of datamining.

Oddly I am against this being a cosmetic change. If you have to nerf what it means to be an epic, perhaps we should be calling it something else. Why not just make various effect stones if we are not changing stats?

My largest problem with this change is that it seems like the 'lazy' option. I am sure that it's not, I am hoping that a loooot of thought went into it. But it seems like they went 'we need a pet battle option, I know let's just make them upgrade them all!' Unfair I know, but without context that's what it's reading like.

I loved the idea of battle pet island (which is missing from the latest builds) something like the timeless isle again! It was endgame for us, let's do something like that again!

I'd love more information, clearly we are all upset about this change, heck even the idea of this change so please fill us in on the details.
How about epic stones that do NOT boost stats but DO boost:

-XP gained by pets on your team
-chance of getting rare/epic stones
-amount of charms received

...when an epic pet is on your team.

Also have PvP award charms.

This would limit the number of pets "needed" to be epic considerably, give them something much more than just purple text, but without ruining the game.

I would still prefer none at all, or a toy, or a special singular epic pet as I think Alona suggested. But if it really is inevitable, it may as well not be broken or underwhelming.
I hope we're close to hearing an answer on what the decision is just so this topic can be over.

I'd appreciate if everyone took a look at this suggestion from Quintessence.

http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com/2016/02/epic-pet-idea-epic-pet-slot.html
possible solutions

1) limit the number of epic upgrades so it doesn't feel like a chore and gives players a decision to make. or make it gated by time (like legendary equips)

2) make epic upgrades purely cosmetic changes (or mainly cosmetic, with just marginal stat buffs)
I currently have 900 lvl 25 Rare pets - the idea of getting that many stones gives me a migraine... oh, and how about raising the number cap?
I wouldn't mind the Epic stones as long as there was a way to get them relatively easily like buying them like the Rare ones from Lio in your Garrison, randomly from pet battles or rewards for pet quests or something. I don't like the idea that they are purely cosmetic as it seems redundant to even implement the stones then. If you want them to be cosmetic I suggest a different type of stone like colour altering or permanent sparkles or something. Having to grind out 700+ stones to upgrade all your pets for hardcore pet battlers is a bit daunting though but would give us something to work towards.
02/26/2016 06:57 PMPosted by Sunborne
I hope we're close to hearing an answer on what the decision is just so this topic can be over.

I respectfully disagree and think the iron is hot right now. When we get another statement, the iron will be significantly colder and our feedback less impactful.

If you have ideas, express them now.

An epic slot seems fine so long as it doesn't increase team power vertically. Pet battles was nearly perfect at inception and tinkering with it seems like a sure way to ruin it. I remember someone in MoP saying we should be grateful we were playing the game then as it would likely degenerate over time. I would like to postpone that as long as possible.
02/27/2016 08:58 PMPosted by Hudax
02/26/2016 06:57 PMPosted by Sunborne

I respectfully disagree and think the iron is hot right now. When we get another statement, the iron will be significantly colder and our feedback less impactful.

If you have ideas, express them now.

An epic slot seems fine so long as it doesn't increase team power vertically. Pet battles was nearly perfect at inception and tinkering with it seems like a sure way to ruin it. I remember someone in MoP saying we should be grateful we were playing the game then as it would likely degenerate over time. I would like to postpone that as long as possible.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this but it sounds like they may have made their decision.

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/703389260200566784

Now I'm just going to wait for the response. If epic stones come in I just hope they are not another charm grind. I'm fine with epics at heart as long as it's not a grind for every pet. I'm not sure how they could be anything but that, but maybe it can be done.

There was a lot of great ideas expressed and it was mostly civil in this thread. Whatever happens, we're getting more added for pet battles and that is a good thing.
Sorry pet collectors, Raiders and PvPers have to go through this with every expansion. Time to fall in line it seems.

I for one am definitely looking forward to this. It's nice that they are adding to the overall formula and 'progression curve' rather than just adding more pets. Epic quality celestial pets or unborn val'kyrs sounds pretty great to me!

Still waiting on pet breeding though! =)
02/27/2016 10:25 PMPosted by Elpístolero
Sorry pet collectors, Raiders and PvPers have to go through this with every expansion. Time to fall in line it seems.

I think you're misunderstanding here a little bit. I don't think we're going to be raiding with our pets so there is really no need for them to "level and gear up".
02/27/2016 10:25 PMPosted by Elpístolero
Still waiting on pet breeding though! =)

still crossing my fingers for this for legion.
I'm afraid I don't like the idea of epic quality pet stones, nor adding levels, but perhaps that's because after two expansions of working on pet battling, I've finally gotten my pets all rare, and getting close to having them all level 25. A lot of that process has felt gruelling. Heck, I even levelled toons all the way to 100 via pet battling, just to mix it up a bit XD.

If you're going to add epic stones or levels, make it less gruelling/time-consuming/boring, and also make it more meaningful than busy-work for those who've 'finished' levelling and upgrading their pets.

I've loved all the safari type pet battle achievements, tournaments, collecting pets from old raids, and catching pets that are tied to seasons or weather, and simply going out into the wilds and hunting down rare quality pets, so more of those kinds of pet battling content would be awesome.
I feel like this is just more pointless grind. I have almost 700 pets and getting them to 25 and blue is already a huge task.

With the current system, our normal blues already fight epics and legendaries. I feel like that works.
These epic and legendary fights are reserved for NPC challenges where one needs to figure out the
right team comp along with the right skills to best the NPC. Its tough but rewarding when you do it and adding another teir of upgrades for pets would make those fights less of a challenge and less rewarding when you finally overcome it.

Adding new pets and new battles is enough to keep people engaged I feel. When it comes to mini's I feel like the reward of capturing/looting a new pet you have been after is far more fufulling than updraging a current pet's rank one at a time with a huge grind involved.
Epic level pets would be nothing but a new grind introduced to keep us rats busy on our treadmills without needing to add new content.

"When everyone's at the top of the tree then no-one's anybody."

Of course some people wouldn't get to the top of the tree, which would leave them unable to compete and cause more disappointment and disillusionment with the game.
02/27/2016 10:26 PMPosted by Sunborne
I think you're misunderstanding here a little bit. I don't think we're going to be raiding with our pets so there is really no need for them to "level and gear up".

I must be misunderstanding because if there is no need to "level and gear (stones I guess?)" then this whole thing becomes a non-issue doesn't it?

While we sadly didn't get anything like the Celestial Tournament in Warlords (The Tanaan Jungle pets were a fun addition but a weak follow up to the CT imo, too gimmicky), it was very clearly meant to be the equivalent of end game raiding for pet collectors, Blizz said so themselves. There are only so many ways to build on this system and add to the progression curve other than simply adding more pets.
I have been a top pet collector on my sever for years. I have paid good money for pets, grinded my butt off for them and spent too much time on them. I'm just now almost done leveling all 740+ pets. They are all rare. Please stop adding a million pets of the same look. They are no longer special to us. And please don't make us lvl past 25. But for the love of everything holy NO epic stones! Just give us a epic pet and we will love you forever! <3
Hi everyone!

First and foremost, thank you very much for testing pet battles in the Legion Alpha. We’ve heard your concerns and have decided not to move forward with epic pet battle stones in Legion.

To explain a bit about how we arrived at this point--

When designing rewards for the new battle pet features in Legion and the revamped pet store in Dalaran, we considered epic stones a potential direction to go. Some players are nearing the cap of max-level, all-rare pet teams, and we wanted to see if this space would satisfy their needs for a long-term future level of investment.

You have correctly identified a few of the issues that come up with this feature:
  • New players now have a harder time catching up (though we could mitigate this by speeding up the early leveling process).
  • Players with 600+ rare pets that felt as if they were nearing completion of their pet journal are back to having 600+ pets to level.
  • Power Creep – older content is now easier, future content is harder for new players entering pet battles.

One of the things we like about pet battles is that much of the early content stays relevant through all of the expansions. Similarly, the collection aspect of battle pets works well when it’s wider (more pets to collect, more variety in abilities) rather than taller (more levels). Both of these are very good reasons to avoid adding epic pet stones.

This direction also pushes us to create content that tests max-level-pet-battlers in a way that is not purely numbers, but use of abilities, use of specific pets, and memorization of enemy strategies. The Celestial Tournament was a good example of pet battle content that rewarded a varied and filled pet stable. We have some exciting things in mind for future battles versus tamers!

It’s worth noting that this feature was not intended to replace any gameplay content. We’re working on all sorts of pet battle updates that we’d like to make in future patches.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. We really appreciate your great ideas and discussion!
Thank you for listening to ALL the feedback given. Regardless of which side people were on, the large majority was very constructive and well put-together.

I am excited to see what Legion pet battle content will bring!
Well this is sad news to hear.