XRP: Witty subtitle

Wyrmrest Accord
1 2 3 12 Next
XRP is a roleplaying profile addon, similar to several others. I wrote it from scratch as an exercise in Lua, and to address some of the shortcomings I, personally, found in other roleplay profile addons. This means it has similarities to some, but does a number of things differently, too.

It can be found on:
  • Curse: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/xrp
  • WoWInterface: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info23423-XRP.html
  • CurseForge: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/xrp/

To cover some of the more important features and frequently-asked questions...

(1) It is compatible with other addons. It will be able to see the basic profile data from any other roleplaying profile addon currently in use. There are varying degrees of compatibility with specific features of other addons, but one of the goals is to be as broadly compatible with every other addon as is reasonably possible.

(2) It caches profiles when you read them. This means lower bandwidth usage (ever seen a slow loading profile? basically, less of that), and lets you read profiles you previously saw, even if that character is offline. Through the bookmark browser (a barely-adequate name for what it really is), you can browse, sort, and even search through all cached profiles. Profiles you haven't seen in 10 days, by default, are purged -- but you can change the time in the advanced options or bookmark specific profiles to never purge them.

(3) It includes significant crossrealm/crossfaction support, albeit with some limitations. Currently this only works with other XRP users, for one. For crossrealm, the other person must also either be on your BattleTag or in a group with you. For crossfaction, the other person must be on your BattleTag. That said, any profiles (regardless of addon or other factors) you've previously seen while on other factions or realms will be visible on any characters, due to the caching.

There's a lot beyond that, too. Too much to cover easily, but I'll try to hit some of the highlights. This is by no means a complete list -- not even remotely.
  • Profile bookmarking and private notes. You can keep track of people you know, people you want to know, or what sort of interactions you've had without leaving the game.
  • Automated swapping for racial forms, class forms, and equipment sets, including accurate tracking of human/worgen form switches.
  • The ability to hide profiles you don't want to see from tooltips or chat, without having to ignore people outright.
  • Right-clicking a character in the game world to view their profile without having to bother with multiple clicks or mouse movement.
  • Clickable, copyable links in profiles, letting you easily look at someone's blog, art, or other reference.
  • Progress tracking while recieving profiles, letting you know that, yes, something is still loading. Additionally, profiles are loaded as they're recieved -- you can read a description, even if the history is still loading.
  • Compatibility with addons expecting LibMSP to interact with RP addons (such as GHI).
  • And numerous display and usability tweaks, available in the Interface Options.

Overall, XRP is a mature project which currently sees few radical changes. However, it still is under active development, and will continue to have features added, bugs fixed, and compatibility with new WoW patches for the foreseeable future.
Changes for v7.1.0.2:
  • The cursor book icon will no longer flicker briefly on the screen at its last location prior to being displayed.
  • Water Elementals (Frost Mage) will once again properly display their class color.
  • Latency spike tolerance for hiding player not found errors has been increased to 5 seconds (from 2 seconds).
  • In cases of problems, more Lua errors will now be shown, but those errors are less likely to cause other failures.
  • Some more taint issues have (hopefully) been fixed.

Recent known issues:
  • (All versions.) Tooltips will occasionally not show guild names. (Blizzard API bug.)
  • (≤7.1.0.1) Mage water elementals will not show their class color in the tooltip. (Fixed in 7.1.0.2.)
  • (≤7.1.0.0) The profile viewer being movable will cause numerous problems. (Fixed in 7.1.0.1.)
  • (≤7.0.3.4) Automated profile swaps for human form (Worgens only) will reset periodically. (Fixed in 7.0.3.5.)
You were prepared.
Changes for v6.2.3.1_beta1 (currently in testing):
  • Support for names in chat in Prat-3.0 has been added.

• squeeeeeeeee
    Are there only 3 RP addons? XRP, MRP, and the TRP series are the only ones I can think of.

Not counting ones that serve for extra purposes like GHI, etc.
    Giant Squids,

02/16/2016 08:54 PMPosted by Bor
    (3) It includes significant crossrealm/crossfaction support, albeit with some limitations. Currently this only works with other XRP users, for one. For crossrealm, the other person must also either be on your BattleTag or in a group with you. For crossfaction, the other person must be on your BattleTag. That said, any profiles (regardless of addon or other factors) you've previously seen while on other factions or realms will be visible on any characters, due to the caching.

This is by far my favorite feature, it's always a blast to see people emote with their full RP names in Stormwind.

World Peace and Puppies,
    --Eph
    I actually saw the RP profile of someone cross faction on TRP, though it's worth noting that I WAS looking at their profile from the same faction only a few minutes earlier.
    02/17/2016 12:34 AMPosted by Kasskeelhaul
    Are there only 3 RP addons? XRP, MRP, and the TRP series are the only ones I can think of.

Not counting ones that serve for extra purposes like GHI, etc.

I think Flag RSP still exists and there's one called GnomeTEC Badge.
    02/17/2016 09:26 AMPosted by Zandrae
    I think Flag RSP still exists and there's one called GnomeTEC Badge.

Yup. There's a couple variants of FlagRSP (not sure if both are still maintained, but I think at least one of the two is), and GnomTEC Badge is one that doesn't see much use on NA realms. There wasn't an English localization for quite a while, as the primary developers and users are German.

02/17/2016 08:36 AMPosted by Kasskeelhaul
    I actually saw the RP profile of someone cross faction on TRP, though it's worth noting that I WAS looking at their profile from the same faction only a few minutes earlier.

That's like XRP's profile caching. That works decently for people you know, so you can go look at their characters to see profiles, but doesn't help as much in the, albeit still pretty rare, cases of making a friend crossrealm while leveling or dungeoning.

02/16/2016 09:16 PMPosted by Milladee
    squeeeeeeeee

If you're interested, I'd appreciate some extra testing on this one. I don't use Prat-3.0, so my tests were mostly limited to its default settings.
    02/17/2016 08:36 AMPosted by Kasskeelhaul

I discovered this yesterday myself with TRP.

I was riding the love boats in SW yesterday and was picking up people's RP profiles. I think it was because it was reading cached profiles from when I was on my dwarf? Kinda neat.
    Is this what most people use? I'm currently using RP3 but this looks like another promising addon.
    02/17/2016 12:29 PMPosted by Kazan
    Is this what most people use? I'm currently using RP3 but this looks like another promising addon.

I'd say more people use MRP or TRP, but in the end it's all down to personal preference and I really enjoy what Bor has made here compared to the other two.
    I personally find XRP to be a perfect balance between MRP and TRP3. MRP is really bare bones and TRP3 is just like oh my god the icons and text colors and IC currently OOC currently and at a glance and mount names and personality traits and my god why do I need all that.

Seriously though, a major dealbreaker for me with TRP3 was that it screwed up my whispers. I always get new whispers, whether they're through bnet or just from character to character, in a new tab. TRP3 decides that, sure, I can get a new tab, but all my whisper tabs are whisper tabs for all people I'm whispering. So in my whisper to John tab I'm also seeing my whispers and responses from Bob, and vice versa. It annoyed the crap out of me.

Plus I like the eye symbol for people targeting me over how TRP says the name of their target.

XRP4life
    I had no idea XRP was a WrA invention, and by someone in the Ironworks at that. Now I've gotta give it another chance.
    Thank you for all of your hard work. Very excited for the new features!
    Just put up a new beta, v6.2.3.1_beta2.

It fixes a few bugs with the LDB object and adds a requested friends-/guildies-based whitelist option, where, if this option is enabled, it will only show profiles of friends (in-game or Battle.net) and optionally guildies. It's not recommended for general use, but people with younger children or who are very sensitive to seeing certain things may find it interesting.

Also, if someone has a copy of the PTR client installed, I'd appreciate it if you contacted me. There's some changes in 6.2.4 that I could really use some help testing, and I need someone on my PTR BattleTag to do so. (I'm specifically asking for someone with it installed already since it's a huge pain in the butt to install, and I'd rather not get anyone to do that just for me.)
    Still my favorite RP add on. Thank you for all of your hard work.
    03/03/2016 02:52 PMPosted by Vandrysse

I absolutely agree! I changed from MRP to XRP sometime really late last year, and... honestly, I haven't had a single desire to switch back.
    You're cool people. I like you.

I'll eat you last

(Just kidding)

03/03/2016 01:53 PMPosted by Bor
    Also, if someone has a copy of the PTR client installed, I'd appreciate it if you contacted me. There's some changes in 6.2.4 that I could really use some help testing, and I need someone on my PTR BattleTag to do so. (I'm specifically asking for someone with it installed already since it's a huge pain in the butt to install, and I'd rather not get anyone to do that just for me.)

I have that

03/03/2016 03:58 PMPosted by Ryxii

I absolutely agree! I changed from MRP to XRP sometime really late last year, and... honestly, I haven't had a single desire to switch back.

Everyone who had MRP who I've suggested XRP to had similar reactions. "Oh my god it really is so much better!"