Connected Realm Question

General Discussion
I just came back to the game after a 2-year break, and a large group of my friends have transferred to another realm. I plan on joining them, but before I do I need to figure a couple of things out.

The realm they're on is medium pop, and connected to another medium pop realm. Is there any benefit to choosing one vs the other? In their new guild, there are members on both realms.

Should I choose the realm the guild was originally created on? or is the connected realm "just as good?"

Is there any problem with moving a couple of characters to one realm, and a couple more to the other realm? Or should I keep them all on the same realm? If I split my characters between the two, I can keep my names. If not, I'll have to rename them. It's not a big deal, but I like the names I have.

Thanks in advance!
The connections are supposedly permanent, and everything is cross-realm including guilds and such like you mentioned. It should be safe to roll on either realm. Many folks use it as a way of expanding their character-per-realm limit beyond the default 11, since they can just roll on their connected realm[s] and have no issues.

I'm jealous of that, and honestly feel its unfair to high pop realms that didn't need merging - expand our caps dammit.
02/13/2016 10:00 AMPosted by Jolserii
The connections are supposedly permanent, and everything is cross-realm including guilds and such like you mentioned. It should be safe to roll on either realm. Many folks use it as a way of expanding their character-per-realm limit beyond the default 11, since they can just roll on their connected realm[s] and have no issues.

I'm jealous of that, and honestly feel its unfair to high pop realms that didn't need merging - expand our caps dammit.

I totally agree with you there. This really pisses me off since I'm on an unconnected realm - Sargeras. We should get our cap expanded as well.
Connected realms, for everything that matter function as one server, you just get multiple log on choices, each with 11 character slots.

For names it's possible to have the same name on each server if they're not already taken, (-servername) will function as a sort of last name to differentiate the two. You'll also need to include that when mailing between the component servers.
02/13/2016 09:59 AMPosted by Aylaea
Is there any benefit to choosing one vs the other?

A name might not be available on one but available on another.
02/13/2016 09:59 AMPosted by Aylaea
Is there any problem with moving a couple of characters to one realm, and a couple more to the other realm? Or should I keep them all on the same realm? If I split my characters between the two, I can keep my names. If not, I'll have to rename them. It's not a big deal, but I like the names I have.

Having your characters split across two realms is a little less convenient, swapping between characters on server A and B would require you to hit the change realm button and select the other realm. It's only a couple of extra steps but I think I'd find it irritating after a while. It's also less convenient sending mail to the characters on the other server since you'll need to add -ServerName to their name when sending mail although addons like Postal basically eliminate that (unless they've updated the default mail UI to remember alts names since I started using Postal.)

It's really down to the individual as to whether those minor inconveniences would actually end up being really quite irritating over time or not.

Other than that they operate as one realm.
02/13/2016 10:32 AMPosted by Grarn
Connected realms, for everything that matter function as one server, you just get multiple log on choices, each with 11 character slots.

For names it's possible to have the same name on each server if they're not already taken, (-servername) will function as a sort of last name to differentiate the two. You'll also need to include that when mailing between the component servers.

This.

Cause of this i have 2 character named accidents im my guild
Shu'halo is connected to ....
Eitrigg.

I have my two Pandarens, same name, were once in same guild. My names show up as Somaliu for those on the same server as the character and Somaliu-<realm> for those on the connected one.