What was so great about Vanilla?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
I don't mean about the community, or how many friends played.

What part of the game that came with the disk was so great that everyone seems intent on relieving it?

Because from what I've seen, the game has only improved*.

*baring WoD.
It was new and exciting.

That's it.
I really don't know. If I didn't have a group of friends who pushed me into a raiding guild to raid with them, and was just playing solo I don't think I would have played long if at all.

It was fun enough for it's time, but I mean it wasn't the be all end all of wow for me.

And going back to 40 man raiding? OH GOD PLEASE NO. The vael, and patchwork attempts. Oh god my life. Please not again. 20 minutes explaining the boss. 2 minutes wiping. Ugh. 8 hour raid shifts for 3+ days.

Just no.
The class quests were a nice thing, sad they pulled them out. Beyond that, I can't think of a single thing I miss from Vanilla.
I never got to see that content before and i heard from my older brother that is was amazing. I really want to see this vanilla hes bragged about for years after he quit
Leveling experience, heavier RPG elements, more emphasis on pre-max level content, world PvP.

Some people just enjoy that iteration of the game more than the current one. I don't see why people are trying so hard to turn it into something objective when it's not.
Everything and everyone was new. It was a huge new world that we were exploring for the first time. You can't get that feeling back.
It was great because things werent handed to you. When you got something, you felt like you earned it yourself. It was hard to get the best gear unlike now, where everyone has the best gear. If you had the best gear back in vanilla, people would inspect and compliment you all the time. You actually had to explore the world to quest, where as now you just queue up in dungeon finder and dont even leave the capital city as you just dungeon to cap.
I have some good memories of vanilla but it was a game in its infancy, there is no way I'd want to go back to it. Nostalgia is powerful, don't let it fool you.
It was new, nothing like it had been seen before. Looking back at it from the modern view, Vanilla kinda sucked, and the same(in my opinion) didn't hit its stride until BC, and Wrath was the peak.
Teldrassil was really good. I never got past Darnassus because I didn't have 280 hours a week to commit to leveling and burned out after three days, but that first zone was real good. Then Blizzard turned all of the Shadowglen mobs neutral and this game lost 5,000,000 subs.
I want more RPG and a slower progression with more path's to do rewarding things. Right now, the game points to one direction, raiding. Raiding is awesomely rewarding, however it's the only thing and everything in the game feels like a hurdle to get to it. Instead of it's own triumph.
04/06/2016 09:12 PMPosted by Yréll
It was great because things werent handed to you. When you got something, you felt like you earned it yourself. It was hard to get the best gear unlike now, where everyone has the best gear. If you had the best gear back in vanilla, people would inspect and compliment you all the time. You actually had to explore the world to quest, where as now you just queue up in dungeon finder and dont even leave the capital city as you just dungeon to cap.

I can't help but notice that you do not possess a full set of Mythic HFC gear, good sir. As this is clearly the best gear, and clearly free, and given to everyone I am confused as to why you do not have it!
The World wasnt as big as it is now... But seemed bigger.
-no multiple flight points in zones
-one grave yard
-flying didnt exsist
-it took you longer to do things
-end game wasnt just about 1 zone
-you had to grind mats they werent given to you
-40 man raids (not as bad as some think)

a lot of things people hate, i like. now the game is just kind of like here you go, what can i give you today? Here you want a legendary? Sure no problem!
  • There were less quality of life changes that made the game more difficult.
  • Elite monsters were insanely difficult to take down and actually required a group
  • Monsters in general posed a threat and you had to be careful
  • The higher difficulty made overcoming a challenge (downing a raid boss, getting to lvl 60,etc.) much more rewarding.
  • 04/06/2016 09:05 PMPosted by Phlynch
    I don't mean about the community, or how many friends played.

What part of the game that came with the disk was so great that everyone seems intent on relieving it?

Because from what I've seen, the game has only improved*.

*baring WoD.

Something about the challenge and the sense of accomplishment when reaching milestone levels was what was so great about it to me. You don't get the same sense of adventure in current wow.
    There is literally nothing I miss about Classic.

'Cept for Deadmines, that is one thing I do miss.
    04/06/2016 09:21 PMPosted by Archimedes
    'Cept for Deadmines, that is one thing I do miss.

RIP Smite.
    Everything was new. You had a whole world to explore, and that took time. Some mobs were actually tough to fight, and the good rewards were hard to come by. Everything took time to get, either through lots of grinding or the fact that boss drops were fewer. Leveling was a lot slower.

You had end game options. Dungeon gear sets were very good and you weren't looked down on if you weren't all in purples. Plus end game dungeons were difficult.

Class quests, and profession quests added to the gameplay.