Please Do Not Remove the Legendary Ring Quest

General Discussion
Prev 1 17 18 19 26 Next
Another brilliant Watcher idea....

I like Watcher, but man does he hate casuals and new players.
03/30/2016 01:32 PMPosted by Ornyx

In this case, I'm not sure a date makes for an argument on the side of the players who put effort into obtaining the items.

---

Again, thanks for the feedback so far! I'm planning to spring up a conversation about the questlines themselves, since I know players here have shared concerns more about losing the story, and less about losing the Legendary.

I for one, think leaving the quests and rewards as they are would be the best solution. I understand the viewpoint that you want to reward a player's time and experience during the expansion, but why take that away from someone who wasn't playing much or didn't play at all at the time? In regards to lore, multiple devs have repeated that each expansion inhabits its own place in time aside from Cataclysm (ex Dalaran in WotLK vs Legion) so your character is exploring as if it is the present to them. Why would they not learn about Wrathion's investigations in Pandaria or meet Khadgar in Draenor? Part of these legendary questlines focuses on creating an item of importance and power at that point in time so it also does the lore a huge disservice to have the character work towards crafting it, then suddenly... nothing. Lore is so extremely important to any MMO and removing it from a player's experience is not the right decision, especially in light of the notion that each character experiences it in the present.

If you want to go further and say that expansions no longer inhabit their own place in time, why can't the character go back in time to discover these things on their own? What is to stop my monk from visiting his homeland to learn more about the history of the land and then discovering remnants of the Sha or Lei Shen along with Titan Runestones? Or an orc from finding Abrogator Stones hidden on Draenor?

TL;DR
I just feel that in light of what you're removing from the game all to have a player feel some personal prestige, then you are doing a disservice to the playerbase that should still be able to experience that lore in its entirety whether the player is new to Azeroth or a veteran.
03/30/2016 04:53 PMPosted by Dis
I am not sure why you think people see this 'incentive' to be subscribed as a negative thing.

Because it's a lazy way to keep subscriptions up instead of adding more content to do?

I am not sure if there is any point in arguing this because I firmly believe you don't understand this game from a non raider's point of view.

And I'm not sure if you're seriously arguing this or just trolling if you have to belittle my opinion because of how I play the game.
03/30/2016 04:49 PMPosted by Rankìn
03/30/2016 04:44 PMPosted by Dis
Okay, fast forward two expansions. I didn't get the cloak or the ring, but because it takes very little time to do this I can sub for three months do both the ring and the cloak raids each week along with everything else and be done because it takes me a fraction of the time it would when the content is current.

It'd take you longer than three months, especially if you're just starting the quest-lines and not using the alt catch-up mechanics.

Raid lockouts don't mean a thing because people won't sub for just the one thing, they will sub for a new expansion and have time to catch up on everything.

But anything that can extend player interest in the future would be a good thing.

Non raiders don't have the same incentive to play throughout an expansion - for raiders they 'get behind' with gear.

And that's why Blizz should add many things to do instead of ripping some stuff out at the end of an expansion.

There was 10 million people with interest at the start of the expansion, interest in the the game isn't the issue the issue is keeping the interest.

And yes, if blizzard provided more content throughout that would be a better way to go but like I told that other poster I imagine they are working with a budget and they do whatever they can within that budget and creating new content all the time is more expensive than keeping people busy by grinding out months of tomes and runes. Most people were content with doing this for two expansions, I am not sure if they would for many more because this ring questline was terrible imo.

And 3 months was a estimate - it doesn't matter if it is 4 months or w/e the point I was making you can use your time more efficiently so you can burn though the content faster and catch up so why pay for a full year when you can play for 3-4 months and achieve what you want.
03/30/2016 05:01 PMPosted by Rankìn
I am not sure why you think people see this 'incentive' to be subscribed as a negative thing.

Because it's a lazy way to keep subscriptions up instead of adding more content to do?

I am not sure if there is any point in arguing this because I firmly believe you don't understand this game from a non raider's point of view.

And I'm not sure if you're seriously arguing this or just trolling if you have to belittle my opinion because of how I play the game.

I have raided, I have friends who raid and when you raid you think about the game differently and play the game differently. If you don't I would be surprised.

You know it is like me trying to relate to people who play for lore/story. I just don't have a clue what motivates them.
I feel as though the removal of the cape was only to make precedence for the removal of the ring. The expansion of Warlords really has little sentimental attachment to it that they have to treat the ring like "I was in Warlords but all I got was this lousy Tshirt" style novelty.

They probably figured that there were people that were going to unsub so it was a last ditch effort to get people to stay subbed to complete the rings. People like me, who like to complete things and are the ones going back into old content to complete old legendarys and getting old achievements, pets and mounts. This just gnaws at you knowing if you dont stay subbed long enough to complete it, it will never get completed and you will have an incomplete ring staring at you in the face, reminding you that it will never happen.

As for people who say I dont have to have the ring, I say my druid didnt need Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros either at 100 but I still put the effort into getting the parts together and getting the drop to complete it. Even if it collects dust in their bag.
03/30/2016 05:01 PMPosted by Dis
And 3 months was a estimate - it doesn't matter if it is 4 months or w/e the point I was making you can use your time more efficiently so you can burn though the content faster and catch up so why pay for a full year when you can play for 3-4 months and achieve what you want.

You can do that anyway with how far apart content patches are. And that goes even more for the length of time between the last content patch of an expansion and the pre-expansion patch for the next expansion. We're looking at nearly a year of being on Patch 6.2, so a person could have not played at all through 6.0 or 6.1 and still get the ring before Legion drops. Blizzard's own design philosophy with patches is what drives cyclical subscribers more than anything else they do in the game.

03/30/2016 05:04 PMPosted by Dis
I have raided, I have friends who raid and when you raid you think about the game differently and play the game differently. If you don't I would be surprised.

I actually haven't raided for a couple months now, and probably won't raid again until Legion starts up. So I guess that puts us in the same boat. Also, raiding is not that big of a deal that would make you think about everything differently. Some people might be affected by raiding, but that doesn't mean everyone is.
Getting a legendary item during the appropriate expansion was always a difficult job. They involved a cooperative effort. You couldn't get the staff or the daggers in MoP without a guild, and likewise you couldn't get the earlier ones alone. Getting the staff was considered so amazing an achievement that a huge event was created to occur in the faction capital to announce it. It was special, it really meant something.

Those earlier legendaries, however, were not removed. I have wonder why. If the purpose of removing the ones after Cataclysm was to keep their special nature, why leave the earlier ones available for anyone to get now? Its like you are saying those earlier ones are somehow less important. I dunno...they seemed pretty important at the time. Hence the title "Legendary".

So if you at Blizzard are saying that Legendary items should only be obtainable during the appropriate expansion, then you should be going back and making the earlier ones unobtainable as well.

Otherwise, yknow, logic. Consistency. Lack thereof.
03/30/2016 05:04 PMPosted by Canopia
As for people who say I dont have to have the ring, I say my druid didnt need Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros either at 100 but I still put the effort into getting the parts together and getting the drop to complete it. Even if it collects dust in their bag.

Right? Some people just like doing old stuff, whether its as RP, personal experience, or boredom. If I get a legendary or experience an awesome event, it does not take away from my own prestige or experience when another player obtains the same item or gets the same experience, in fact, I'd say it makes it more fun to share that experience as in, "Wasn't that so cool back when..." vs "You had to be there otherwise you just don't get it. (And now you never can.)"
just remove the damn ring and silence these cry babies. they will forget in like a week.

You can do that anyway with how far apart content patches are. And that goes even more for the length of time between the last content patch of an expansion and the pre-expansion patch for the next expansion. We're looking at nearly a year of being on Patch 6.2, so a person could have not played at all through 6.0 or 6.1 and still get the ring before Legion drops. Blizzard's own design philosophy with patches is what drives cyclical subscribers more than anything else they do in the game.

And did we know at the time when the patches were going to drop. Hindsight is always 20-20. Actually if I knew at the start where this ring quest would end I probably wouldn't even have done it because in my opinion it wasn't worth the time spent for what I got out of it and that was with a tangible permanent reward, i.e. the ring. Very few people would spend time doing these for just a title/achievement.
I would very much like for them to let the legendary ring and all legendaries to be doable after the expansion. I do not like the removal of content I for example love that you can go back and do legendaries with less stressors to see the story. I missed out in the MoP legendary thinking I could do it after a couple expansions and to my dismay they removed it... I still can't see that part of the timeless isle which I am peeved mostly because there are some achievements locked behind that area and I will NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THEM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It adds replay value for alts I only see negative things about removing the quests. I do think they should just give a limited time title, I missed out on the MoP tittle I didn't mind it as much as not ever being able to do the legendary quests themselves. It would be cool to timelock the quests so you can do the solo challenges scaled back to that level. Alas if they could keep the legendary quests I would be happy. If they do not nothing will change, I will feel pressure to rush the content and wait for an eternity for the next patch.
The "I was there" argument never makes sense to me.

First of all, I don't feel special for having the cloak from MoP.

Secondly, it is unfair to new / returning players that missed the chance to get the cloak, and same can be said for the WoD ring once Legion is released.

I mean, clearly the "I was there" removal of content clearly works wonders seeing as how ANet was forced to abandon that thought completely with the bi weekly temporary content releases (and subsequent deletions) because it did nothing but piss players off that could never experience that content again.

In reality, no one really cares that they got that item or that they were there in the sense of nanana I am better than [insert player that didn't get it] but more like they are satisfied they completed it when it was relevant, which is why achievements have dates, no?

I have the cloak, will have the ring probably, honestly the fact that it's temporary just makes me not even wanna bother. I hate when things have a time limit to obtain, no matter the time given, temporary is not something that should be in an MMO, where the world should expand not deflate, excluding of course seasonal events.

Special snowflake syndrome is a thing of the past... most of us are adults now and just wanna do things at our own pace, given that we most likely work 30-40 hours a week if not more, have kids, and other responsibilities, like being in the service or what have you.

It sucks coming back to your fav game and seeing that you totally missed out on this stuff and it's never coming back. Oh well, at least the people that got to see x, do x, and obtain x are special snowflakes so !@#$ the rest!
03/30/2016 04:49 PMPosted by Rankìn
It'd take you longer than three months, especially if you're just starting the quest-lines and not using the alt catch-up mechanics.

But anything that can extend player interest in the future would be a good thing.

And that's why Blizz should add many things to do instead of ripping some stuff out at the end of an expansion.

There was 10 million people with interest at the start of the expansion, interest in the the game isn't the issue the issue is keeping the interest.

And yes, if blizzard provided more content throughout that would be a better way to go but like I told that other poster I imagine they are working with a budget and they do whatever they can within that budget and creating new content all the time is more expensive than keeping people busy by grinding out months of tomes and runes. Most people were content with doing this for two expansions, I am not sure if they would for many more because this ring questline was terrible imo.

For me, it's less about "what did I achieve in X amount of time", and more "did I have fun playing the game".

Those moments when you were flying to Khadgar's tower to turn in quests and see what was going to happen next? Those were some of the best moments in this expansion.

Yes, more often than not, they were a let down this time around. But there were moments of cool stuff too. Or even funny moments. Either way, taking that away from the next wave of players sucks.

And spending time removing that stuff when they could be adding a new battleground is a disservice to their customers.
I imagine if the Warcraft devs were the publishing house for the Dragonlance Chronicles, they would have removed the whole Raistlin arc from any printing runs beyond the first in a effort to make sure older readers feel special.

And did we know at the time when the patches were going to drop. Hindsight is always 20-20. Actually if I knew at the start where this ring quest would end I probably wouldn't even have done it because in my opinion it wasn't worth the time spent for what I got out of it and that was with a tangible permanent reward, i.e. the ring. Very few people would spend time doing these for just a title/achievement.

Even less justification for spending resources to do so then.
03/30/2016 05:13 PMPosted by Dis
And did we know at the time when the patches were going to drop. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Hindsight does provide a pretty good clue to future patches. We have a pretty reliable guess that it takes Blizzard around 4 months for major patches. And it's usually pretty obvious which patch is going to be the final major patch of the expansion. Then there's the post-expansion drought is usually around a year.

So someone keeping up with the news can pretty reliably figure out the last major patch and subscribe, get the legendary reward, then stop again until the next time they feel like playing.
03/30/2016 05:11 PMPosted by Amy
just remove the damn ring and silence these cry babies. they will forget in like a week.
It's not the ring for many players, it's the removal of an important storyline that is integral to the story of the expansion.
03/30/2016 05:15 PMPosted by Jaynecobb
I don't feel special for having the cloak from MoP

Pretty much this. I got the cloak on my MoP main because my raid leader requested all of his raiders have the cloak; same goes with this ring.

I don't understand why someone would want to go back and farm a legendary item from a previous expansion, save for the one that turns you into a dragon, but that's just cool.

I am not in favor of removing the quest chain though. If people want the opportunity to farm an item from a previous expansion, then the option to do so should remain in game.

P.S. Not on my main. Crappy gym WiFi lags out when I attempt to change toons.
Maybe if they implemented a way to witness lore events once the expansion was over, kinda like how you can still see the Fall of Deathwing or the Lich King.

No legendary reward for doing so, but you get to see all the stuff with Wrathion thinking he can save the world and Khadgar hunting for Gul'dan.