Please Do Not Remove the Legendary Ring Quest

General Discussion
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next
Lol this whole conversation is funny, you gotta bet the devs are sitting back laughing.

"Ok we got them to give up on the ring by saying we'll push the conversation upstairs, wonder how much more they'll give if he hold out a little longer on the quest."

They're making you feel like you're getting something even though they're taking something from you. These guys are good. If I ever start a business I want them on my sales team.
For someone who completed the MoP cloak i still think it should be re added
03/30/2016 10:00 PMPosted by Joton
Why doesn't Blizzard keep the quest available to the Battle.net account?

For thoughs of us that already did the quest, if we want to get the ring for our other characters later down the line, we should have the option too.

Just make it to where the quest is battle.net account bound.
Doing this allows the account to do the quest with new toons while keeping new players/accounts from even starting.

It keeps the lore so no new accounts can get it but for thoughs that did still can.

Would be a waste to just drop a good quest line, especially since it probably took Blizzard staff a while to complete the story and bring it to life.

If you (Blizzard) cannot do that, then can you make an heirloom collection page for no longer obtainable legendary items?

Still, Turning the quest into an Account wide quest still only playable to thoughs that previously completed it would be best.

Someone else suggested this type of thing and I suspect this it mostly the reasons raiders want this questline keep in as well. If they keep the questline for lore reasons and remove the ring then I think this isn't an entirely bad idea - it would provide additional incentive for players to actually do those questlines on at least one toon. The flying questline was made more appealing because of this type of thing.

I doubt it would stop the crying from the new players but almost everyone in this game missed out on things that were removed before they started and for most of us we just accept we can't get it.
When continents shifts and the world changes again, Ill be fine if some items and content doesnt quite stay the same.

That implies the dev doing a job of designing something in its place, blank removal of content is hilariously stupid.
03/30/2016 06:31 PMPosted by Kholin
03/30/2016 03:51 PMPosted by Kudger
It provides both motivation to accomplish these things while they're still available and a sense of pride in having them.

Actually, speaking for myself, the specter of removal provides a lot of *demotivation*. I don't think "hey cool thing with a cool story." It's more like "Wow! Blizzard is trying to manipulate me into staying subbed with a trick!" Not because the intrinsic rewards of playing through the expansion *make me want to stay*.

Obviously, your mileage may vary. Which I respect. It just strikes the wrong tone with *me*.

Regards

Honestly, have you played straight through expansions consistently for the last 5-6 years though ? Or did you always have a tendency to quit for reasons throughout.
If the rings and achievements must be removed to create the illusion of "status" among the playerbase, then the questline should remain intact and merely have the rewards stripped from it.
I'm looking forward to the day that I can delete all of these rings, so as to demonstrate no longer being chained to such a horrible grind. I definitely liked some things about WoD and WoD raiding, and will likely remember some bits fondly - the legendary ring however is one thing I'd verymuch like to forget (but I hope the developers don't, so we don't ever get something like this again...).
As someone who subbed like two weeks before WoD dropped (and therefore missed the cloaks), I'm sad about legendary removal for a few reasons:

* awesome for timewalking
* lore/story/etc.
* I can't go kill ordos!

I heard a rumor that the celestials would stop needing to protect you to enter that shrine, but I heard that rumor a loooong time ago. It'd sure be nice if they at LEAST dropped that requirement.

(now, I'd still be happiest if I could go get a cloak, but...)

I would be much happier to see things the old way where very few got them .

I don't really agree with this and I prefer the 'people's ' legendary but if we are going to have all this crying each time they remove these because they let every tom, !#@@**!! and harry get them I am inclined to agree with you. Go back to making them ultra exclusive when the content is current.

edit - lol at the censor - that was a name, a short form of richard sometimes.
03/30/2016 12:16 PMPosted by Ornyx
With the older items, in their time, a guild would have to devote all of it's resources behind one player who would be the sole owner of any specific legendary. I think it goes without saying that this led to a tiny fraction of the population ever experiencing the stories around these items in their height. The new Legendaries are the complete opposite of this - they are available to any player who is actively playing the game, and there are no boundaries on obtaining the item that would require such a devotion of resources as older Legendaries did.

I just don't agree with this "one or the other mentality". I play on a brazilian server where back in Cataclysm I was the second (first in the Alliance, second on the whole server) person to finish the Dragonswrath. Even though no one knew I was getting it besides those who were in the raid with me, Stormwind was filled with random people, friends and guildmates wondering what was going on and congratulating me for finishing the staff, the all chat went NUTS. That felt epic and LEGENDARY. I don't completely disagree with those legendary 'as tokens', but I do believe the other type of legendaries (with epic questlines and epic cinematics) are necessary for people to give a damn about finishing it.
In that note, I do believe the Cloak was a good "Token Legendary", but the ring was bad althogether. In the cloak case, you knew why each and every cloak had their own powers (blessed by different Celestial Beasts). So it was not only epic (I remember the Wrathion fight being hard for some classes and this is good), but it was also AN ACCOMPLISHMENT. The ring quest, on the other hand, you might aswell had given us the ring through mail or garrison quest and turn on some cinematics after we equip it and it would have the same effect. There's no hard quest to get the ring, there's no sense of accomplishment. In my guild, most raiders finished the ring 3~4 weeks in HFC and the only concern was if they could go get the ring before the next boss or if they would get it after the raid. No one stopped to help them finish the quest, no one went to Karabor to watch the cerimony and no one knew the name of the ring since there was no story behind it.
03/30/2016 07:52 PMPosted by Pyranthos
I love how blizzard claims removal makes the items an "I was there" thing.

If only we could have a system implemented that can track what we have accomplished in game.

Maybe some sort of accomplishment system. We could call it someone along the lines of "Feats of Strength" and store them on the character or account with when we achieved it and perhaps some arbitrary point system that will give nothing more then bragging rights. Such a shame Blizzard hasn't come up with an idea like this. I feel this would be an awesome system and Blizzard should work on developing it right away.

Oh wait... *links all MOP Cloak achievements* Look at the dates I was totally here

For a lot of people those achievement dates/feats of strengths are relatively meaningless. They want someone tangible for their efforts. In hindsight, I actually wouldn't have done the ring questline even with the ring as a reward, if I had known where it would end and what I would get. I certainly wouldn't do all that for just an achievement date.
03/30/2016 10:54 PMPosted by Bear
but as is in a year they will be basically useless except for Timewalkers.

And unless they fix the way the legendary proc scales down, we won't even want the legendary version for Timewalking.
03/30/2016 10:19 PMPosted by Supersonic
Well... that's kind of dumb. It is linked to all kinds of new talents and abilities, so any abilities and talents tied to it you will lose?

They will likely handle it the same way they're handling Draenor Perks in Legion. They're removing the perk system entirely but keeping and reworking some of the perks as standard abilities.
As the ring will become a permanent point of recognition of all of your character's time and effort in Warlords of Draenor, we want these kind of items to remain as a way to say "I was there!" and to show that you followed along in the content when it was current.

Having an "I was there!" item in my bag is far less interesting for me than the actual quests to get that item... it doesn't make sense to me why they were removed in Mists and it doesn't make sense again in WoD.

Removing these quest lines kinda feels like ripping the spine out of these expansions. Sure the zone quests and content are still there for leveling purposes but without the structure, direction, and relevance the legendary quest lines provide the expansions' main stories feel lacking.

Granted, Mists' legendary felt far more involved and interesting than the WoD quest line was but Khadgar was quirky and the quests were fun even without the ring... it's a shame to see them removed for such a ridiculous reason. We have feats and time stamps for "I was there for".

I wish I could go back and do the Mists quests again just for the dialog and banter at the tavern... but I guess having this cloak taking up space in my bag an expansion later is supposed to be more fun than the quests to get it were.
03/30/2016 11:50 PMPosted by Juradon
For someone who completed the MoP cloak i still think it should be re added

This,

I got it on my Druid. Wish I could've mustered the will to do it for my Monk and Warrior.
03/30/2016 12:22 PMPosted by Ornyx
03/30/2016 12:21 PMPosted by Jazrozi

This really isn't necessary, in my opinion, and really, I think it adds more frustration to the game than any sense of accomplishment.

In your opinion, why does this add frustration?

I am pretty ill today, so I never got to reply to your post until now - I had to go to bed right after I posted that and forgot to check back here since.

Here are a couple reasons I think it makes it more frustrating:
1) Limited time to access content means that once the content is gone, you can't get it on your alts. Period. Sure, the ring is pretty pointless to grab on your level 100 alts when you are going right into the Broken Isles right after, anyway, but all the past legendary items before the cloak were always available after their expansions passed. Why is it different now?

2) You also only have a limited time to access some very well-acted and scripted story elements that come with the legendary quests. Think of all the money that was paid to the voice actors in MoP for Wrathion's cloak chain. Honestly, when it comes to raw bits of data, we've never had a content removal on this scale before. Yes - you can access these on YouTube, but it's just not the same as experiencing it in-game. It's not the same as seeing your character getting the reward. WoD's doesn't seem to have had quite as much work put into it as MoP's did, but it is still more than I want to see just "disappearing."

3) Again - "why?" Why is content removal good in the first place? Why is it so important for people to feel "special" in saying "I was there for this this and this?" I would argue this exclusivity that is so prevalent in this game does breed quite a lot of negativity, due to jealousy on the part of those who miss it, and insecurity (the "I'm better than you" type of insecurity) on the part of those who do get it. I don't see why the company embraces that emotion, it's really done nothing good for anyone.
Just stopping by to post this http://imgur.com/cSkpG6S
03/30/2016 12:19 PMPosted by Feyrae
As the ring will become a permanent point of recognition of all of your character's time and effort in Warlords of Draenor, we want these kind of items to remain as a way to say "I was there!" and to show that you followed along in the content when it was current.

That's what achievements are for, not the actual ring itself. You guys are literally removing lore from the game...

I kind of agree here.... Ok so maybe if the rings and cloaks are unattainable, but if the quests and lore were still in the game I'd be happy, and I think many others would also be satisfied. Not all, but many if not most.
Removal of content from the game in general is just a bad idea. If you want to argue that it gives the player some prestige for completing it during current content, why are we told that each expansion exists in it's own place in time? (WotLK Dalaran vs Legion Dalaran)

If I like to go grind reputations, despite the lore saying some of the Shen'dralar left Dire Maul, why can't there be some that stayed behind so I can continue to build reputation with them? If I like to reexperience old story (I completed the cloak quest line a few times) or have a new character RP through it, why can't I do that now in it's entirety? What do other players stand to lose from me doing so? Nothing. What do I stand to gain from doing so? That's the gameplay I like and it makes me happy.

The only prestige anyone gets from things like the cloak or ring is self-granted and if another player accomplishes the same feat at a later date, it does not reduce the original player's prestige in any way. Blizzard's very first core value is, "Gameplay first" and in removing content from the game, you are removing gameplay (that's really fun and well crafted by your designers!) for some players at no tangible benefit to anyone.
Achievement dates are a thing.

In this case, I'm not sure a date makes for an argument on the side of the players who put effort into obtaining the items.

---

Again, thanks for the feedback so far! I'm planning to spring up a conversation about the questlines themselves, since I know players here have shared concerns more about losing the story, and less about losing the Legendary.

Achievement dates are a thing.

In this case, I'm not sure a date makes for an argument on the side of the players who put effort into obtaining the items.

---

Again, thanks for the feedback so far! I'm planning to spring up a conversation about the questlines themselves, since I know players here have shared concerns more about losing the story, and less about losing the Legendary.

On that, I feel that the ring is really wasted by becoming obsolete with Legion. I mean, there's this huge deal about making an item to challenge the power of the Burning Legion because we know Gul'dan is up to no good. Now we find out with the end of HFC/start of Legion that he was successful in starting a second invasion and we just chuck this artifact we create for this sole purpose?