Book Series

Emerald Dream
How's it going?

It's another one of those "What's your favorite fantasy series?" threads. I'm sure a lot of RPers out there get their creative juices flowing with a good book or two. I just finished The Malazan Book of the Fallen series and was looking for a new fantasy epic to read. So drop your favorite series in here, maybe a short little synopsis, sprinkle some pros and cons on top of that if you're feeling feisty, and help a Gnome out.

<3

P.S: It'd probably be smart of me to list the series I've already read, but kind of interested in seeing what people would recommend first.
Anything R.A Salvatore, mainly his Forgotten Realms stuff starting from the Icewind Dale books onward.
R.A Salvatore hands down........

Always more R.A.
What they said.
Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series
03/22/2016 09:37 AMPosted by Caldrice
Anything R.A Salvatore, mainly his Forgotten Realms stuff starting from the Icewind Dale books onward.

I've had this recommended to me too many times now to pass it down.
(( The Discworld books, obviously. All of them. Go read them all. (Mort is my favourite, though.) ))
03/22/2016 10:42 AMPosted by Umcha
Mort is my favourite, though.

he da bes
inb4 GoT sexual assault derailment
03/22/2016 10:42 AMPosted by Umcha
(( The Discworld books, obviously. All of them. Go read them all. (Mort is my favourite, though.) ))

Ah, Pratchett. I work at a library and about a year ago this day (just a day or so after he died) this patron came in looking for one of his books. I of course brought up the whole "ah yeah, a shame he passed away, is that what brings you here today?" and the guy's face just goes white "wha..what?" and he was almost moved to tears. ;_;
(( Discworld books have had enough of an influence on me that I have a tattoo of Death planned that uses a quote from Hogfather. The only other book series that is getting a tattoo is the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix (also wonderful, for the record. I love necromancy).

Really, though. If you haven't read the Discworld books you definitely should. I like telling people to start with Mort primarily because Death and Susan are great and everyone should be introduced to them both as soon as possible, and Mort is my favourite forever, but all of them are good. They're silly and fun, and then when you're like 90% through you get to The Meat Of It and have to put the book down for a moment and wander off, because it got a lot deeper than you thought it would real quick. ))
03/22/2016 11:11 AMPosted by Umcha
(( Discworld books have had enough of an influence on me that I have a tattoo of Death planned that uses a quote from Hogfather. The only other book series that is getting a tattoo is the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix (also wonderful, for the record. I love necromancy).

Really, though. If you haven't read the Discworld books you definitely should. I like telling people to start with Mort primarily because Death and Susan are great and everyone should be introduced to them both as soon as possible, and Mort is my favourite forever, but all of them are good. They're silly and fun, and then when you're like 90% through you get to The Meat Of It and have to put the book down for a moment and wander off, because it got a lot deeper than you thought it would real quick. ))

This sounds just like the type of books I need right now.

Thanks for your suggestion <3 Getting a lot on my To-Read list now.

I also love when Death in a series has an interesting personality.
(( Mort is definitely a good one to start with, imo. The fun thing about Discworld books is that you can read them in whatever order you want, mostly. Since I like the Death stories the most, I would suggest going Mort > Soul Music > Hogfather > Thief of Time, then looping back to Reaper Man. Small Gods and Equal Rites are also some of my favourites. Anything with Nanny Ogg or Granny Weatherwax also is near the top of my list, but really you can just search around for what you're interested in and pick up random ones and you'll probably be happy.

If you choose to watch some of the TV movies, the Hogfather one is pretty good. Don't go watch the Soul Music cartoon. Don't make my mistakes. The animation is terrifying. ))
Dark Tower.
I really liked the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay when I read it something like 18 years ago. If you like that check out Tigana by the same author, it's even better but it helps to have the trilogy as background.
Love anything by Brandon Sanderson. His worlds are well-planned and constructed, and the magic systems are unique. I recommend the original Mistborn Trilogy to start (it's up to 6 books now).

The rogue-only quest for the Survivor's Bag of Coins toy is a reference to Mistborn.

You can also try his one-shot novella "The Emperor's Soul" to see how this guy writes. It won the Hugo.

Bonus: All his books (and there are a lot!) are in the same universe, even though they are very different worlds. There is a recurring cameo character in every book named Hoid -- keep a look out for him!
Modelland by Tyra Banks.

AMAZING STUFF.
Temeraire by Naomi Novik or Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Love anything by Brandon Sanderson. His worlds are well-planned and constructed, and the magic systems are unique. I recommend the original Mistborn Trilogy to start (it's up to 6 books now).

The rogue-only quest for the Survivor's Bag of Coins toy is a reference to Mistborn.

You can also try his one-shot novella "The Emperor's Soul" to see how this guy writes. It won the Hugo.

Bonus: All his books (and there are a lot!) are in the same universe, even though they are very different worlds. There is a recurring cameo character in every book named Hoid -- keep a look out for him!

Loved Sanderson! After reading Wheel of Time (and his capping of it) I read the original Mistborn trilogy. I haven't read any of the new ones (I believe they take place some 100s of years later right?) but that's an awesome bonus fact I never knew about, thank you! I actually own The Way of Kings of his Stormlight Archive series but have been afraid to jump in to a series only 2 books in. Patience I have not.
Oh man, after the trilogy the only Mistborn I read was Alloy of Law. I didn't realize there were more.

Edit: And Wheel of Time is one of my all-time favorites. Currently on my 6th or 8th read through of the series.