Why not a hardcore COMMUNITY server?

General Discussion
Other than corporate greed (a la server transfers and other "convience item" cash sales) why not a hardcore COMMUNITY server.

===

Server Rules:

All characters start at level 1, except DK and DH, see below for those exceptions
No realm transfers on or off server
No paid or other XP boosts beyond "rested xp" (i.e. no "refer a friend" or "free level X")
No LFR
No LFD
No cross server zones or instances (i.e. dungeons and raids are same server)
No cross server PvP (i.e. Arenas and Battlegrounds are same server)
Arenas and Battlegrounds can be vs. same or opposite faction (to keep queue times low)
No name, race, cosmetic < *ignore this rule,see edit below, or faction changes. People have to "own" their reputation on the server.
DK's and DH would have their own levelling rules (such as "must have level X character to roll DK/DH")

Dedicated global channels to build and recruit pickup groups = must talk to others to build groups.
Dedicated global channel to recruit for guilds

100% access to all past, current, and future content available to "regular" servers. All the latest raids, dungeons, world content, questing, expansions, and PvP content, etc. are available to these servers.

====

The goal of these rules would be to create the social environment of Vanilla Wow but without the class and content limitations of Vanilla. It seems there is a great deal of desire and nostalgia for the days when server community really mattered and you cared who you played with (or against). I think that social environment is what made World of Warcraft so wonderful.

Yes, there was a lot about those days that needed improvement and I don't think it is practical to have true "Vanilla Servers" as maintaining different content rules, classes design, and rewards for true "Vanilla Servers" would be a waste of time and money on Blizz's part.

However, I am not really sure why they couldn't just apply these limitations on a few servers and see if they are popular. Basically, they just have to set up these environments and run them parallel to the regular servers and see if they are popular.

I for one, would like to roll on such a server, level a few characters and see if this could capture the sort of feeling that many of us miss. Would it be too much to ask for? Would it hurt the game or the rest of the community in any way? What if these servers were popular?

Please respond even if you disagree but please be constructive and not just dismissive. I would appreciate a good discussion.

===

*Edit: I agree with a few response here that a limitation on cosmetic changes would be a bad idea. I shouldn't have argued for those rules. I think faction, race, and gender limitation should stand for the most part. Either way, these limitations are not core to the idea of the rule set, which would be all about encouraging a sense of server community.

Any other ideas on creating server community through rule sets?
Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!

Wall of NO!
I've heard these referred to as 'trapdoor realms' or "hotel california realms"

i.e. "You can enter them easily - you just can't leave them."

I think there's some merit to the idea, though perhaps not enough to make it happen.
I hate this idea. I love CRZ and this past weekend seeing hundreds of players clog up the barrens for the hearthstone hero portrait felt great.
I think it would be interesting to see it happen.

I wouldn't do it because I'm well aware how little that aspect of the game mattered to me.

I would be curious how many genuinely love it and how many would come to the conclusion it wasn't nearly as satisfying as they remembered.
I'd play this
Not my cup of tea but I don't see why with the giant swathe of near dead servers they couldn't specialize a few of them
03/16/2016 03:16 PMPosted by Nädezhda
The goal of these rules would be to create the social environment of Vanilla Wow but without the class and content limitations of Vanilla. It seems there is a great deal of desire and nostalgia for the days when server community really mattered and you cared who you played with (or against). I think that social environment is what made World of Warcraft so wonderful.

You are never going to be able to recreate the social environment of Vanilla WoW. A big part of that environment had to do with the game being new and people had to help each other because there was no other option. We also have a difference in the type of people playing WoW now vs WoW ten years ago. Also the nostalgia seems to be more about having a personal rep and status on your server, making people that had good reps feel special. Having a hardcore community server is not going to help most of the people that play WoW.

It is like people are giving up trying to create the community they want to see by from guilds and guild partnerships. Instead they want Blizzard to create safe spaces for them like Legacy Servers because they believe that will magically make the community like it once was.
03/16/2016 03:27 PMPosted by Telrenaur
I hate this idea. I love CRZ and this past weekend seeing hundreds of players clog up the barrens for the hearthstone hero portrait felt great.

0/10

Nobody likes CRZ. Good try though.
All characters start at level 1, except DK and DH, see below for those exceptions
No realm transfers on or off server
No paid or other XP boosts beyond "rested xp" (i.e. no "refer a friend" or "free level X")
No LFR
No LFD

So you are basically asking to remove option you can simple ignore if you dislike them and don't affect you at all?

No cross server zones or instances (i.e. dungeons and raids are same server)
No cross server PvP (i.e. Arenas and Battlegrounds are same server)
Arenas and Battlegrounds can be vs. same or opposite faction (to keep queue times low)

What's the point to get to play with fewer people at the end of the day? even when specific group content queue times could be worse...

No name, race, cosmetic, or faction changes. People have to "own" their reputation on the server.

That's not good for their business and I believe people in some servers eg: Emerald Dream already have some kind of reputation

Dedicated global channels to build and recruit pickup groups = must talk to others to build groups.
Dedicated global channel to recruit for guilds

And by this you think you will get rid of website sellers, guild spammers, politic/religion trolls etc? hahaha
when you apply for a decent guild to do progression you already need an interwiew or talk

The goal of these rules would be to create the social environment of Vanilla Wow but without the class and content limitations of Vanilla

I doubut it. Your idea of community for a hole server is too wide to be succesful as Tiresias explained people used to socialize because they game was all new, no one knew a thing and to kill one elite mob for a single quest you needed at least 2 or 3 people, but if you want a small closed community so badliy you can still do it right now, you can make your own guild, fill it with up to 999 people (I think) and only talk, raid with each other ignoring all the advantages LFG can provide sometimes, of course this will end up in a complete failiure.

TLDC
You are basically asking to have the same content but with some perks removed (LFG), your idea of a community is just utopic and pointeless imo.
Because it would be a waste of resources
Not sure how much money this server would make for Blizzard.

it'll get a spike of population, because of initial interest, then people will drift back to their old servers (since you can't transfer in characters ) , then will remain, the hard core of hard core, who'll be on the forums wondering where everyone was (except Ðàrrêl, he's always around).
I somehow sense that before long, the mythical Wall of No will be erected here.

Seriously though, it'll likely get attention for all of 15 minutes and then people will get sick of it/bored/whatever else and lose interest. Vanilla WoW is long gone, and this will not recreate what it was like. Nope.
I honestly do not think there would be enough people for groups & battlegrounds. Do people really not remember how horrid it was to find a group back then? And more so it hurts anyone who plays at off peak times or can't spend a ton of time playing (because they just do not have the time to sit and find people, put a group together and play).

Being able to get in groups quickly and easily is sooo much nicer now.

But what I don't get is that everyone can do this now still. You can put together a group of people from your realm to do stuff with anytime you want. And almost the only people who do that are guild/friend groups.

There is no way to create the social community of vanilla again.

What made it great was that we were all sucky and new, in a smaller world, before as many websites became popular. Now we are spread out across a large world, with a million different things to do- people are questing, leveling, dailys, farming, achievements, running whatever, dungeons, pvp, and raiding. There is just so much to do it splits the community. Instead of asking in chat what to do- we go to websites and read about it.

If people want a really great community- they need to get a really good active guild. I think that is the biggest issue. So many guilds these days are smaller and not active socially. make your own community!
I'd love to see this happen, if only to put the lie to the claim that there are more than like 5 guys running around out there that really want this stuff. The server would be a novelty, then a ghost town.
i would jump on that server in a heartbeat
I don't remember the community being all that great even in Vanilla, just that you were forced to kiss up to at least a portion of it just to be able to see content. I don't think such a server would fix anything.
03/16/2016 03:27 PMPosted by Telrenaur

But if these were closed servers, how would it affect YOU?

Just don't join these servers...no?
03/16/2016 05:08 PMPosted by Nädezhda
But if these were closed servers, how would it affect YOU?

Just don't join these servers...no?

The time it would take to make these servers is time that could be spent making us new, current content. It would affect us.
03/16/2016 03:39 PMPosted by Tiresias

You are never going to be able to recreate the social environment of Vanilla WoW. A big part of that environment had to do with the game being new and people had to help each other because there was no other option. We also have a difference in the type of people playing WoW now vs WoW ten years ago. Also the nostalgia seems to be more about having a personal rep and status on your server, making people that had good reps feel special. Having a hardcore community server is not going to help most of the people that play WoW.

It is like people are giving up trying to create the community they want to see by from guilds and guild partnerships. Instead they want Blizzard to create safe spaces for them like Legacy Servers because they believe that will magically make the community like it once was.

What about encourage?