Why not a hardcore COMMUNITY server?

General Discussion
No, Blizzard's goals right now are to bring the community together, by raiding together. Different difficulties are so that you are motivated to challenge yourself further, while providing you with the opportunity to do so at your own pace.

Dividing the community by creating different community servers for it would be the exact opposite, and force Blizzard's hand to make essentially two seperate games. Just like the vanilla classic legacy realm argument.
03/16/2016 06:56 PMPosted by Verbatim
They mean 15k players online which is more highly populated than any realm blizzard has.

So still one percent then?
03/16/2016 06:56 PMPosted by Raiil
People have also gotten 'used to' the conveniences of LFD. Personally, I raid mostly with a guild on Tich, while I myself am on Eitrigg. I was introduced to the group by someone on Jubei'thos. Getting rid of that- the thing that supposedly helped destroy server communities- has been a godsend to me, and others.

Yup! I am on Hyjal, raiding with a new guild on Silvermoon, and last night we had folks from Icecrown and Area 52 also interested in the guild.

Back in the day, that would never have been possible.
03/16/2016 03:16 PMPosted by Nädezhda
*Edit: I agree with a few response here that a limitation on cosmetic changes would be a bad idea. I shouldn't have argued for those rules. I think faction, race, and gender limitation should stand for the most part. Either way, these limitations are not core to the idea of the rule set, which would be all about encouraging a sense of server community.

Even with this edit, its silly. People commonly namechanged and so on to get away from their bad rep, and thats not something that should necessarily be taken away. A lot of the worst offenders simply couldn't hide it without rerolling though, they'd slip up somewhere.

As for the overall idea? It actually sounds kinda nice. The server with the closest thing to a real community these days is freaking Moon Guard of all places. Why can't that be what they're known for instead of goldshire?

That said, personally, I don't think I'd use it unless there was a Community/RP server that actually gained traction, I don't think I'll ever seriously play outside of RP servers.
That said, personally, I don't think I'd use it unless there was a Community/RP server that actually gained traction, I don't think I'll ever seriously play outside of RP

Then I am making one of these servers a RP server! :)
Servers have a way of imbalancing themselves. People want an advantage. How do you rectify that?

--- Sadly, I don't have an answer for that other than ability to have same faction vs same faction bg's.
One thing to note about private servers is that they're obviously quite buggy and imperfect. They have those kind of player numbers with a lot of buggy class mechanics, quests that don't work, imperfect mob pathing and node spawns, and so on and so forth. Even more would be interested if there were an official version that had everything working well.

And while it is perfectly true that nostalgia is a big factor, and that you can never bring back the same community, etc. it's ALSO true that some people find some aspects of the actual gameplay of Vanilla/BC more appealing. No-one is saying that Vanilla/BC were perfect or that they are better in every single aspect than WoD or that you can get exactly the same experience you had back then by playing legacy servers. People know all that, and some still think it's worth it, even after considering all such things.

Anyway, regardless of legacy servers, I like the OP's idea very much.
Eh, I'd give it a try.
03/16/2016 06:57 PMPosted by Perky
Dividing the community by creating different community servers for it would be the exact opposite, and force Blizzard's hand to make essentially two seperate games. Just like the vanilla classic legacy realm argument.
Nope.

Everquest had servers with different rules - which let people pursue their own interests - akin to what OP suggested.

It was actually horrible when they began making the rules uniform --- because then the grindcore/PVE/Raider/tweens joined the RP/PVP server in pursuit of "server firsts" and "low competition". They annihilated the markets that existed; trolled the RP community until they became reclusive; all for being "server best" on a server-culture that had no admiration for what they did.

And simple rules. No one needs raids to be re-balanced.

I remember our server had a "race-specific" language rule, and foreign-languages were garbled out --- if you wanted to "learn a language", you had to hang around people speaking it, and slowly as the skill increased, the percent that was garbled would be reduced.

Dumb RP rule? Perhaps. But it created an entire "social space" for translators, spies, emissaries, etc. I used Illusion-Masks to hide amongst enemy races - learn their languages - and became an officer/spymaster for a WPVP guild, spreading misinformation or funneling info. I'd /gquit, join the enemy for a few weeks, and feed my original guild info -- and then we'd challenge them to /guildwar, where we'd be flagged for PVP for (X) amount of time against one another.

Then the PVE-Raid crowd pushed for "sensible changes" such as the restoration of a "Common" tongue -- and all that was obliterated. Then chat was all spam about gear and garbage.

Great way to wreck a community (by pretending they all want the same things).

No, Blizzard's goals right now are to bring the community together, by raiding together. Different difficulties are so that you are motivated to challenge yourself further, while providing you with the opportunity to do so at your own pace.
This is hilarious.

The extent of my raid interest is LFR.

I have never - and will never - desire a higher difficulty. "High-end PVE" is just punching the landscape. Congrats to everyone who grabbed a talent-build from Icy Veins (instead of making their own), who followed a guide (someone else posted on Youtube) and then optimized it for weeks. I'm satisfied in doing it once and then spending the rest of the month doing something else.

And long before LFR, the extent of my raid interest was in doing it once - to see the story - and then bailing.

If I'm a bit "unforgiving", it's because I think it's totally self-serving and delusional to continue to say that "bringing the community together" involves "slowly convincing them to enjoy what I enjoy". PVE isn't "end game" for everyone - it's just a speed-bump to see a cool cinematic.
I would like to revisit this thread as I think it is still relevant today, especially in light of them bring back "Classic" servers.

Personally I like the idea of a "classic server" but I'd actually prefer the ruleset of a classic server that provides the community but has updated content and mechanics.

Hopefully this thread might be good for further discussion about the issue of how rulesets can either promote or degrade a sense of server community.
10/27/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Nädezhda
I would like to revisit this thread as I think it is still relevant today, especially in light of them bring back "Classic" servers.

Personally I like the idea of a "classic server" but I'd actually prefer the ruleset of a classic server that provides the community but has updated content and mechanics.

Hopefully this thread might be good for further discussion about the issue of how rulesets can either promote or degrade a sense of server community.

Yikes, this is quite the necro! It may have been better to start a new thread and link to this one for reference in your OP.

As for the subject at hand, when Blizzard first suggested "pristine" servers as a compromise to those asking for classic I was quite interested, though I think I was also in the minority.
Ok,this would solve the problem with elitists have there own realm server where they can enjoy their hardcore raiding /dungeons and content everything hard as you can think of.This would bring an end to the complaints in the community but it wouldn't stop them from being sadists to other members of the community outside their own when CRZ on wqs nor their need for more gold to feed them.
this is basically the idea that they are using with the present EQ for their "progression servers" in a way (though they are releasing one xpac at a time usually over 2 to 4 years I think the time span was)..

Yes it is interesting IF you want to try it and it does help increase population to THESE servers BUT your main servers will lose out on their populations ..

A lot of players who played "back then" just don't have the time anymore (14 years IS a long time and many have careers at very least)..

It really won't help ..

What they need to do almost is start WoW2 but if they don't do a good job with it they will kill their own brand almost instantaniously since old players will be pissed about loosing all their previous work and new players will be playing other game options (there ARE A LOT of MMOs now sadly they all do the instant gratification or the pay to win models so don't last)
I don't like the idea of splitting up the community. It won't change a whole lot anyway. Better to just limit cash influence and all that on every realm to fix WoW in general.
10/27/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Ragnaroke
this is basically the idea that they are using with the present EQ for their "progression servers" in a way (though they are releasing one xpac at a time usually over 2 to 4 years I think the time span was)..

Yes it is interesting IF you want to try it and it does help increase population to THESE servers BUT your main servers will lose out on their populations ..

A lot of players who played "back then" just don't have the time anymore (14 years IS a long time and many have careers at very least)..

It really won't help ..

What they need to do almost is start WoW2 but if they don't do a good job with it they will kill their own brand almost instantaniously since old players will be pissed about loosing all their previous work and new players will be playing other game options (there ARE A LOT of MMOs now sadly they all do the instant gratification or the pay to win models so don't last)

So in otherwords, players that aren't hardcore players would flock to these servers to either be supporting them or benefit from them draining the other populated servers til they are closed.

Couldn't there be a way to determine which player can be planted to these servers before this can be made available such as achievement /ilevel,since it is hardcore,only those high enough for this torture can survive it.