Is Blizzard ever going to fix char models?

General Discussion
04/24/2016 01:20 AMPosted by Auid
If you're more concerned about them fixing characters over them fixing things wrong in the gameplay.. you prob shouldn't be playing this. I hear !@#$ websites are nice to look at pretty girls while you're online.

Or... or... or... hear me out here.

Both are important and all of the issues with every aspect of the game should be looked at with the same level of importance.

Issues with character models can be just as off putting as problems with class mechanics.
04/24/2016 12:49 AMPosted by Hakkuun
Yeah it's amazing how much more detail the newer models have. New skeleton, more fluid animations, far better textures. They resemble the originals, but they're just far superior to them.
(!) It is probably best to down vote than to descend into chaos as this guy desires which inevitably means thread deletion. Come Monday, maybe the blues will give our feedback to the designers.

If you're more concerned about them fixing characters over them fixing things wrong in the gameplay.. you prob shouldn't be playing this. I hear !@#$ websites are nice to look at pretty girls while you're online.
This one, too.
04/22/2016 10:16 PMPosted by Kelisaria
Are they ever going to finish correcting animations, shading problems, clipping, poor textures and unanimated hair (Blood Elf females are the most egregious example of the last one)? Are they just lazy about this, or do they just not care?

Blizzard has wasted more than enough time on these character models and their revamp was a major contributor to the lack of content in Wod. Blizzard devs have stated many times that making new art assets is the main bottleneck in developing new content.

04/22/2016 10:37 PMPosted by Oneone
Does anyone else have the problem where certain races sometimes looks weird in the character portrait frame? Like male and female humans, male dwarves and Night elves and female gnomes specifically?

I wouldn't know since I'm too busy playing the game to sit there and nitpick and obsess over every tiny inconsequential detail. I really have to wonder what some of you people are doing in game.

04/22/2016 10:56 PMPosted by Kelisaria
So, laziness. The Old Blizzard would have took the time to do that, in order to get everything right.

You mean the same "old Blizzard" that made the original character models that all of you idiots spent nearly a decade whining about? You people are absolutely unbelievable.

04/22/2016 11:41 PMPosted by Quisto
The new models introduced new problems. Not fixed, not going to be fixed either.

Personally, all I wanted was high res versions of what we had before and maybe some minor improvements on hands etc. This should have gone hand in hand with high res versions of old armor, weapons, etc. and I think it goes without saying that they should have fixed clipping issues whenever possible.

None of that is forthcoming either.

Again I have to wonder what you people are doing in game where hands become an issue.

04/23/2016 12:29 AMPosted by Vials
No resources obviously

Having resources doesn't mean they should be allocated to lower priority tasks.

04/23/2016 02:41 AMPosted by Viera
OP none of that is fixed on alpha, and probably never will be at this point. There's new animations causing new problems though, so there's that to look forward to.

Ignore the willfully ignorant fanboys.

No fanboys here I think people are just fed up with you idiots whining about the most asinine things.

04/23/2016 10:00 PMPosted by Kelisaria
04/23/2016 07:11 AMPosted by Rushford
Probably not.

"OUR LARGEST DEVELOPMENT TEAM EVER!"

Apparently, all of their development and bug fixing teams got rerouted into the PR department.

Or many of them were sent to work on Legion while the rest of the team developed Wod. What does PR have to do with anything?

No they didn't, they bought a host of new problems while fixing some (but nowhere near all) of the old ones.

And once these issues are fixed there will be new ones. It is astounding that you people can't seem to make this connection. Models will never be perfect. Get over it.

04/24/2016 01:23 AMPosted by Urvara

Both are important and all of the issues with every aspect of the game should be looked at with the same level of importance.

Issues with character models can be just as off putting as problems with class mechanics.

It isn't as important as you know...actually developing the game. This is a cosmetic issue not a game play issue. The game doesn't revolve around zooming in your character to stare at each and every detail.
04/24/2016 02:05 AMPosted by Xanzul
Blizzard devs have stated many times that making new art assets is the main bottleneck in developing new content.
This was in regards to the lack of new dungeons during an expansion, because raids were considered more important.

But that has nothing to do with the player models, which are the most important piece of the video game. They bring us the RPG in MMO, a virtual representation of our physical selves. The connection to our characters is the connection to this virtual world.

In fact the reason a lot of players continue playing today, probably one of the biggest reasons why WoW 2 does not exist, is because we have already spent & dedicated so much time to our account/character(s).

It is why players get so passionate about the video game, because all our time had been placed in it, valuable time. If it ceases to exist, that time "disappears."
Are they ever going to finish correcting animations, shading problems, clipping, poor textures and unanimated hair (Blood Elf females are the most egregious example of the last one)? Are they just lazy about this, or do they just not care?

Blizzard has wasted more than enough time on these character models and their revamp was a major contributor to the lack of content in Wod. Blizzard devs have stated many times that making new art assets is the main bottleneck in developing new content.

Yeah? And their word is crap. If they didn't want problems with the models, and didn't have any desire to polish them, than they shouldn't have made them to begin with.

04/22/2016 10:37 PMPosted by Oneone
Does anyone else have the problem where certain races sometimes looks weird in the character portrait frame? Like male and female humans, male dwarves and Night elves and female gnomes specifically?

I wouldn't know since I'm too busy playing the game to sit there and nitpick and obsess over every tiny inconsequential detail. I really have to wonder what some of you people are doing in game.

Yes, it's not like art assets and graphical clarity aren't important to a three dimensional game!

04/22/2016 10:56 PMPosted by Kelisaria
So, laziness. The Old Blizzard would have took the time to do that, in order to get everything right.

You mean the same "old Blizzard" that made the original character models that all of you idiots spent nearly a decade whining about? You people are absolutely unbelievable.

No, what's "unbelievable", is the condescending morons who eat crap fed to them, and beg for more, without asking for the best polished product possible. People like you allow lazy companies like EA or Activision, or Capcom, or somesuch, to get away with crappy recolors of sports and shooter games.

04/22/2016 11:41 PMPosted by Quisto
The new models introduced new problems. Not fixed, not going to be fixed either.

Personally, all I wanted was high res versions of what we had before and maybe some minor improvements on hands etc. This should have gone hand in hand with high res versions of old armor, weapons, etc. and I think it goes without saying that they should have fixed clipping issues whenever possible.

None of that is forthcoming either.

Again I have to wonder what you people are doing in game where hands become an issue.

Because aesthetics matter. We spend more time than anything looking at our characters. Not to mention one of primary reasons of getting new gear, is to make our characters look cool. If aesthetics didn't matter, we would all still be wearing clothes that looked like the old questing greys and whites.

04/23/2016 12:29 AMPosted by Vials
No resources obviously

Having resources doesn't mean they should be allocated to lower priority tasks.

Yes, because what YOU think of as "high priority" is all that matters...

04/23/2016 02:41 AMPosted by Viera
OP none of that is fixed on alpha, and probably never will be at this point. There's new animations causing new problems though, so there's that to look forward to.

Ignore the willfully ignorant fanboys.

No fanboys here I think people are just fed up with you idiots whining about the most asinine things.

No, we're actually fed up with suck-ups like you, who defend Blizzard over every little thing. New character models were a selling point of WoD, and they were too lazy to even do those right.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Apparently, all of their development and bug fixing teams got rerouted into the PR department.

Or many of them were sent to work on Legion while the rest of the team developed Wod. What does PR have to do with anything?

Sorry, but that's bull!@#$. WoD had a far larger development staff than Cataclysm. Cataclysm, despite it's flaws, actually had work put into it. It almost completely redesigned the old continents of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, added two new races, a whole continent's worth of new zones, and almost 15 new dungeons and 3 raids at launch and 3 dungeons and 2 raids in patches.

WoD, in comparison, didn't even finish the player models, had the fewest amount of raids (3) and dungeons (8, one of which was a rehash, therefore making the true number of new dungeons 7), ever, and didn't even finish an entire zone of the game that was supposed to be finished in 6.0.2 before it launched. And that's with far larger development team, by their own admission.

No they didn't, they bought a host of new problems while fixing some (but nowhere near all) of the old ones.

And once these issues are fixed there will be new ones. It is astounding that you people can't seem to make this connection. Models will never be perfect. Get over it.

You're an idiot. No one said that the models had to be "perfect", but they should have had a far more massive amount of polish put into than what we got. Don't give me that crap about not fixing old things. By your stupid standard, no bugs should ever be fixed, as new problems will "always" come up. So why bother polishing or trying to make the product as good as possible for the customers? Why bother making sure the foodstuffs for a restaurant are fresh and prepared properly? It's going to rot anyway, so why bother making the customer happy and selling them something good! It's just too much work!

<span class="truncated">...</span>

It isn't as important as you know...actually developing the game. This is a cosmetic issue not a game play issue. The game doesn't revolve around zooming in your character to stare at each and every detail.

Yeah, we should just go back to 8-bit graphics! I put my hands up on the screen and shout "%^-*!@# third dimension, why can't they just put more content into the game and leave the graphics like Super Mario Bros., to save on graphical and art design!". And, yes, it is important to developing a game, especially with a three dimensional engine! And cosmetics are a part of gameplay.
#1 priority should be that swimming-fetus form Druids have - that lump should actually be something.

The belf models are absolutely fantastic with the added shading, and textures, since they now have more natural movement. Even the nelf's are better, especially with the hair mving. It used to be that when the character jumped, the hair stayed in one place, as if it had a lot of hairspray, or moose in it.
Devs, could you please give us a basic model building program so that players can create models or animate models as user submissions? For example, one program I worked with back when Quake was new was QuArK, the Quake Army Knife.

The most important thing it would accomplish would be to show the armchair experts how much effort goes into animating these things and how difficult it can be to deal with things like clipping on multiple different races. It would also give the community a more uniform way to show off their ideas for in game art. Each submission would have to list the total polygon count and total frames for animations.

We already have a large addon community, with people manipulating the game code for various purposes. I feel that adding a standardized model making community could be helpful and educational, possibly even encouraging people to get more into computer art and animation in general.
I still perfer the old models on human females. The New ones just look awful.
The Draenei model is so bad to the point i end up using the old model...
04/24/2016 09:03 AMPosted by Krunch
The most important thing it would accomplish would be to show the armchair experts how much effort goes into animating these things and how difficult it can be to deal with things like clipping on multiple different races.

I liked your whole post but this bit - sort of like contractors telling me to do the work myself if I think things are so broken.

The rest of it seems like a fun idea. I wonder what Blizzard would have to put in place to do it.
04/24/2016 09:08 AMPosted by Amarianna
The Draenei model is so bad to the point i end up using the old model...
I agree, blizzard really messed up on the new models.
Most models are old artwork merely recolored. The time it would take to rebuild the models correctly would be enormous.

The skeletons they reskin over are old and since this game is a second tier product for blizz now what you see is what you get.

Building 3-d skeletons is akin to building a model ship in a bottle. Very tedious and exacting.
04/24/2016 09:11 AMPosted by Morgueash
Most models are old artwork merely recolored. The time it would take to rebuild the models correctly would be enormous.

The skeletons they reskin over are old and since this game is a second tier product for blizz now what you see is what you get.

Building 3-d skeletons is akin to building a model ship in a bottle. Very tedious and exacting.
Well they really ruined Gnomes, My main used to be a gnome until I logged in and her cute face and hair were gone and I got this grumpy look gnome.
What's really gonna suck is come Legion, apparently all the old animations from the Old models are gone, and replaced with the new animations for the new models.

To make it simpler, they're removing Classic animations completely, and replacing them with the new model animations. So that run on your Gnome or your Dwarf that you hate? I's tied in with the old models, which really sucks.
04/24/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Leafstar
What's really gonna suck is come Legion, apparently all the old animations from the Old models are gone, and replaced with the new animations for the new models.

To make it simpler, they're removing Classic animations completely, and replacing them with the new model animations. So that run on your Gnome or your Dwarf that you hate? I's tied in with the old models, which really sucks.
Welp looks like I won't be playing legion If im forced to use new models.

Let me ask you a question. What do you expect to accomplish by posting this? I don't mean bringing attention to this, because even if that is your goal, how many thousands of threads attempted the same thing with no results? Do you even have a purpose to this thread other than to just polarize the community?

I honestly want to hear your, hopefully honest and non-sarcastic, response.
04/24/2016 09:17 AMPosted by Arrowkill
Let me ask you a question. What do you expect to accomplish by posting this? I don't mean bringing attention to this, because even if that is your goal, how many thousands of threads attempted the same thing with no results? Do you even have a purpose to this thread other than to just polarize the community?

The problem is that the devs won't listen unles you use twitter/talk to them perosnally at blizzcon. Then at most they will just give you some joke as an answer like You think you do but you don't.
At this point the models have been hacked together so many times the result is what you see, very poor animations and gear scaling. It's just too time consuming and actiblizz is unwilling to spend the money to build new models.

It's a shame acttiblizz chose to make more money rather than create epic games.

The 2d games like hearthstone have very large return on investment. They could choose to make more money with wow but then they would have to spend a good deal more money than all the 2d facebook interfaces that now infect wow and the other products produced by actiblizz.
04/24/2016 09:17 AMPosted by Arrowkill

Nothing wrong with more attention on it. They might, eventually, take a cattle prod and zap the devs into actually trying or putting some passion into their work again.