To the WoW Community -

General Discussion
1 2 3 560 Next
We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.

J. Allen Brack
Highly Rated
Well. It seems to me this would count as the thread people wanted to have a legacy discussion without fear of trolling or deletion.
Highly Rated
Didn't see this coming.
Highly Rated
I remember opening the gates of AQ and downing rag as memorable vanilla accomplishments. Nothing nowadays seems to come close although the game is still relatively fun.
Wow.
Posting in history? :O
Highly Rated
We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

Would it be possible to go into greater detail on the "difficulties" of creating such a server? Many of us have been debating the technical/financial aspects, and it is unclear who is correct. One side argues that Nostalrius was able to do such a thing with a very small team, other side argues it would not be profitable/hardware limitations. What limitations are there if a team of nobodies could put something like this together?

I don't want this to come off as rude, but am genuinely curious as to the actual reasons behind it.
Highly Rated
Very interested to see where this goes.
A response.. will be interesting to see the aftershocks from it!
Highly Rated
WELL then, this is certinly a plot twist

Now that i know this thread wont be blown up lets have a chat about this shall we

Since Im not realy invested either way in this debate i wont ask for the severs however i would certinly like to know in detail what the risks are in creating them. The wall of no could do with some shortening

and if you do decide to go ahead with this idea of a pristine realm, then I'll throw my 2 cents in and say that mobs should hit harder and take longer to kill, if your trying to re-create the feeling of old leveling that is
Highly Rated
Never let this thread close so any talk of Legacy Threads can stay here.
Late at night, good choice lol /popcorn
04/25/2016 11:34 PMPosted by Snowfox

Yeah, this is one of those moments when you have to really consider if this will fix things or just make it worse.
04/25/2016 11:35 PMPosted by Ganèlon
Late at night, good choice lol /popcorn

Tuesday's maintenance too so I'm expecting to hit at least 20 pages once maintenance is done.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. ;)
Highly Rated
04/25/2016 11:22 PMPosted by Nethaera
a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder.

This part in particular peaked my interest.Wonder if we can discuss it as a civil group, would be a nice change of pace ^_^
Highly Rated
I will throw piles of money at a project like this. Please, find some way to make it work. I beg of you Blizzard.

I had days played on Nostalrius, and maintained a live sub even though I was playing vanilla instead.

I and many of my friends will pay an extra subscription to continue to play it. It's that fun. It was a part of my life that I never want to forget. Playing it ten years later was still an amazing experience that I wish everyone could see themselves.

I like the "prestine realm" idea, however many things such as class design would remain the same as live is, and that just doesn't appeal to me. Don't forget this also means leveling, everything really would be as it is on live, just without the "QoL' matchmaking features. It'd bring a lot of the community back yes, but the game itself must also appeal to them for it to work. Just my 2 cents
04/25/2016 11:34 PMPosted by Snowfox

There's gonna be so much salt and fire it would be like a fusion of Hell and the Dead Sea.

That's my prediction anyway.
It has begun.
Highly Rated
04/25/2016 11:32 PMPosted by Lionhearte
Would it be possible to go into greater detail on the "difficulties" of creating such a server? Many of us have been debating the technical/financial aspects, and it is unclear who is correct.

Well one thing off top of my head was that Classic wow itself ran on different hardware. Running on newer hardware doesn't come without compatibility issues. There is ensuring it works on a wider array of more modern versions of windows/mac OS X and hardware and the like (they've recently begun this with D2 and WC3 and those are far less complicated games and even that process is slow going and not without hiccups). This could be extra difficult if they no longer even have source code for legacy version of wow anymore. They'd literally have to reverse engineer their own software or rewrite it, possibly introducing new bugs that require new trouble shooting. It's really more complicated than you think.

Many users who played on 3rd party servers for free or for small donations didn't expect this level of support and where happy to use unconventional means to make it work. However, if blizzard officially did it themselves, users would expect the quality of a commercial product not a fan maintained community. This means that yes they'd have to actually consider these technical challenges. They can't just throw it in a wrapper or tell users to use a VM or other hacks to make it work. Blizzard would not put their name on something so awful as that.

There are probably a lot more technical reasons behind the scenes too but I just wanted to point out one such example I can at least speak upon as someone who's given client support for many years now.

EDIT
Apparently they did patch in intel mac support in Patch 1.9.3 which I overlooked and have revised post a little. Original reasoning of compatibility still stands though.