To the WoW Community -

General Discussion
Prev 1 53 54 55 560 Next
YES THANKYOU BLIZZARD FOR LISTENING. I'd love to play these type of servers and gain more of a hardcore experience of the game! Even for the people who won't play them, it's nice to hear back from the company about something like this!
04/26/2016 07:07 AMPosted by Trane
04/26/2016 07:04 AMPosted by Barltobis

I don't want my 15$ going to facebook minigames :-]

I don't particularly care for them either, but they were content almost all players made use of this expansion I am not going to object to that content. We are talking millions of people made use of that garrison, not just a couple of 100k.

Well the garrison was basically required to do everything....so yeah millions used it.
A comparable 'pristine' server would have to be:
  • Level capped to 60
  • ilvl scaled when in classic raids and dungeons to make them challenging (turning off new abilities and talents not being an option, this is probably the next best thing).
  • Free to play (let's be honest, that's a big driver of unofficial servers), but optional free transfer off to a non-'pristine' server for paying subscribers (you can be a paying subscriber with a character on a 'pristine' server, but you can only transfer off if you're a paying subscriber).
  • Turned off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder.
04/26/2016 12:20 AMPosted by Fanden
04/26/2016 12:13 AMPosted by Newplol

The 800 thousand that were registered on Nost, including myself.

Not to sound rude or anything, as I'm neutral on the subject. And just stating what I noticed.

But Nost had 800k registered. yet only 150k actively playing. Where'd the other 650k go? Did they get bored? Felt guilty for playing on an illegal server? Was just "trying it out"?

I wonder if this is what Blizzard has been concerned about all these years, granted if they were official most likely more would "try them out" or play on them during droughts, ect.

Don't forget the part where Nost was free, and thus inherently had better player retention.

I'm pretty sure the only real reason Blizzard doesn't go through with the idea is that they believe (IMO rightfully) that the people who will play and actually stay subbed to a vanilla server are a vocal minority, not worth the effort to deliver a profesionally made server, or batch of servers. It,s really just a question of ressources.

Of course, it could also be that they fear a slippery slope. Yay, we have vanilla servers... but this group prefers BC. Where are the BC servers? Yay, we have BC servers.... where are the Wrath servers now? So on and so forth.
Progressive Legacy Servers.
Once you set it up why not automate it?
Start from the Original to the Wrath of Lich King.
Then as it progresses to each one you make an Original Server
then when it pass TBC you make one there
then WOTLK.

Make it so everyone can move their chars for free to each set expansion or Original server.
The way that would work is that you login the day the next expansion comes out you can choose to copy or just move on with no copying to the previous.
The servers would only need to be create once.
Script it so once it goes through one run its all Automation with when it resets after WOTLK has run perhaps 2 years or so and starts at the beginning.

As far as the pristine that might be a good idea but there are issues still. The garrison takes away one aspect of the reason why we loved this game sooo much till after WOTLK. It takes away being able to interact in main cities and each other. We feel sooo alone in the WoW world. Part of the whole experience if community, friendships, and even so enemies! Garrisons also ruin professions. I think its great to make the game available for everyone to enjoy yes. But please dont forget even the most dedicated or hardcore players that enjoy more of a challenge. The Talents alot of us who dont like the newer stuff like the way it was done where you had options of a large tree. Please bring this back if you make a pristine server as you call it.

Progressive servers that reset would be a great way to keep us coming for more because if everything restarts after 10 years it keeps it fresh.

I am one of the ones who would gladly buy each expansion and pay the sub fee to just keep playing these types of servers. I know a ton of people feel the same. There are a bit of people who wouldnt. But I think the majority of people would love a stable legal server that they have to pay for rather than worrying are we going to get shut down?
1. What would happen after the final raid of the legacy server's content released? Would the server just be stagnant forever? Would there be 3+ years where Naxx40 is the hardest raid?

They would want patches with new stuff for themselves to do. They're lying to you if they say otherwise.
I have been excited for almost every expansion and would gladly try the next when avaliable. I too like a good challenge and to bring a real MMO to the MMORPG. The idea of pristine realms sounds amazing, but not only should we bring the idea of Pristine realms and just stick to that. We should strive for a legacy server and have the Nostralius team which consisted a team of 30 members who dedicated their time and effort to bring back a game in which made this game World of Warcraft. While yes, some parts of the reason we bring back vanilla is because of nostalgia, but we cannot just suggest it is nostalgia only and dismiss it as an excuse. Even Mark Kern the original developers of the game even said this.

So the idea, bring both pristine and legacy servers. Give players a choice, do not say "You think you do, but you don't" and wonder why so many in the community are frustrated.

http://www.pcinvasion.com/ex-world-of-warcraft-dev-explains-blizzard-vanilla
04/26/2016 07:10 AMPosted by Baldwyn
Using Nostalrius as a guide, 800k accounts were made, lets just say, even 500k accounts with say 150-200k actual playerbase. 500k x $15 per month = $7.5 million per month. I don't think a server blade, and say half a dozen people administering that server blade is gonna cost more than $380k per annum, and the turnover from the server will be $90 million per annum. I'm sure Blizzie can cope with costs.

Even if we have live server maths of something like 100 million accounts and like 3-4 million active accounts (around up to 5% because math is hard), on an 800k server, that's still a server with ~40k players, which accounting for alts and whatnot, that's still a fairly healthy server, moreso than many current servers.
I am against Legacy servers for WoW but I think a seperate WoW Legacy game would work. WoW Legacy would be no different than other Blizzard games on connected on B-net.

Players would have to buy a new base copy in order to play WoW Legacy. Since Blizzard would have to do a lot of work in order to make it work with B-net and new computer systems. I know that private servers are able to do that but they are not connected to B-net and other systems that Blizzard uses to track payments/ game type(normal or deluxe). It would also create a stand only game where players would start over from nothing.

Players would have to pay a sub to play. I feel the standard $15 a month to play WoW Legacy should be okay. I know that it is an older game but Blizzard would be losing out on potential money from WoW Legacy. There would be no expansions so Blizzard will not get any big jumps in money from that. There would be no cash shop in store items because there was none in classic WoW. So no pets, mounts, helms or WoW token sales. Blizzard also would still have server cost and a staff to pay in order to maintain the server.

If people are willing to pay for a base copy of the game and a sub, it may be in Blizzard's favor to have a stand alone WoW Legacy. If popular they could servers that allow players to play BC and WotLK as well.
04/26/2016 07:15 AMPosted by Jorinn
YES THANKYOU BLIZZARD FOR LISTENING. I'd love to play these type of servers and gain more of a hardcore experience of the game! Even for the people who won't play them, it's nice to hear back from the company about something like this!

I do agree, that they should just make one and see how it goes...

In a way though it would be like having a HARDCORE server, the question is how many people would remain on the normal servers and would adding the pristine server split up the player base, or bring players back?

I would say that Blizzard SHOULD bring out the pristine servers, see how many people it brings back to the game, but if subs continue to drop and it divides up the playerbase, maybe get rid of them later I dunno.

The only issue I have is that I don't know if the subs will go up and down as a result of them. Only Blizzard can know that.

So don't comment here, youre not required to play on the legacy server the Nostalrius petition targets? You continue to play WoD - Legion retail, this literally has no baring on you whatsoever.

That remains to be seen, firstly as a player, and secondly as a shareholder of ATVI. You guys got us involved by spamming this stuff over GD for the last two weeks, little late to say don't get involved now.

We ar etalking about 250-300k people, maybe a few more, where a large % do not play retail WoW. A legacy server would run in tandem totally separate to the current retail version. People who wish to continue to play WoD and Legion etc, play that game, people that don't, like me, play Vanilla legacy, very simple. Either way, Blizzard does not lose, they get paid the same $15 per month. I would suspect the retail you play will maintain a playerbase who enjoy that watered down game to the tune of 2-3 million players. The legacy server may bring those that no longer enjoy Wod retail etc back into the fray.
I personally have only just resubbed recently for a month, largely to comment on this topic and play some PvP which i'm over after 2 weeks of gameplay. I'm not a regular paying customer of WoW anymore, haven't been for years since MoP primarily, but Cata as well I took breaks of months at a time.
So bottom line is, releasing a legacy server wouldn't really hurt the current retail version at all, those that are happy with it are happy and will stay.
I have been playing for several years now and I love the idea of a pristine server. Hopefully it would bring back the excitement and joy that I enjoyed in wow in those fabulous times
As someone who loved the time commitment of vanilla but also loves the current flow and feel of the game today....those pristine servers sound amazing. A server without LFR and harder mobs while leveling....I'd quit my job and just play forever.
will there be Oceanic version of Pristine server?

im so happy that theres no CRZ for Pristine server, player will be much more responsible and mature, cant wait to relive the experience i have back in wotlk!
04/25/2016 11:22 PMPosted by Nethaera
And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

My main interest is over this line. EverQuest devs officially sanctioned the most popular private server for their game. Apparently they found the clear legal path.

I wonder what the difference is.
I'm sure it's already been said in 52 pages but I wanted to add my thoughts:

To those who want an official vanilla server, do you:

1) Want to be able to log in with your battle.net account that is used for all Blizzard games?
2) Want to be able to chat with battle.net friends, etc, like you can now?
3) Want to be able to use your authenticator on your account?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then you should understand the difficulties/limitations in doing this. Vanilla WoW was not built with any of the above in mind, and would not work with the login servers, authentication servers, account systems, etc that Blizzard has in place today. Not without a massive rework to the code.

Hardware itself is somewhat more forgiving yes, but remember Blizzard actually auctioned off the original servers that held Vanilla WoW a few years back.

Anyway, back to the above - say you don't want any of that. Okay. So you think it's not an issue for Blizzard to spin up circa-2004 authentication servers and login servers for a vanilla WoW server? That it's not an issue for them to create an entirely new, separate database for account information and subs? Who manages all of that? Who tells the players to get lost when their accounts are hacked, because the server can't support two factor authentication? That's an IT and CSR nightmare.

If Blizzard were to do this, they would want it to work like WoW currently does. And that is a lot of time and effort that really, how much gain would come? Vanilla WoW certainly wouldn't be free. How many Nost players will come to an official vanilla server when it's $15/mo?

Maybe Blizz hires the Nost team, gives them the new APIs for everything, and tells them to figure it out and support it. But if you want Blizz's internal resources to handle it - I'd rather get my Warcraft 1 - 3 HD remakes first before a vanilla WoW server
Okay spin this server up please I have a lot of leveling to do!
04/26/2016 07:18 AMPosted by Tiresias
I am against Legacy servers for WoW but I think a seperate WoW Legacy game would work. WoW Legacy would be no different than other Blizzard games on connected on B-net.

Players would have to buy a new base copy in order to play WoW Legacy. Since Blizzard would have to do a lot of work in order to make it work with B-net and new computer systems. I know that private servers are able to do that but they are not connected to B-net and other systems that Blizzard uses to track payments/ game type(normal or deluxe). It would also create a stand only game where players would start over from nothing.

Players would have to pay a sub to play. I feel the standard $15 a month to play WoW Legacy should be okay. I know that it is an older game but Blizzard would be losing out on potential money from WoW Legacy. There would be no expansions so Blizzard will not get any big jumps in money from that. There would be no cash shop in store items because there was none in classic WoW. So no pets, mounts, helms or WoW token sales. Blizzard also would still have server cost and a staff to pay in order to maintain the server.

If people are willing to pay for a base copy of the game and a sub, it may be in Blizzard's favor to have a stand alone WoW Legacy. If popular they could servers that allow players to play BC and WotLK as well.
Sounds reasonable. Here's the copper coins.