Road to BlizzCon 2016 Rules Clarification

General Discussion
For a team that's already qualified, players should ONLY be able to be replaced for misbehavior, lack of wanting to practice etc. Other games don't turn into new, totally different games between qualifiers and regionals, so it's easier to allow roster changes, and people generally only get replaced for legitimate reasons other than "Hey, you aren't as good as X player/class in this new game that the tournament is now based in, see ya later."

Seriously, I can't think of many things more crushing than playing and practicing hard for YEARS to qualify in a once-a-year tournament, only to be replaced for absolutely no reason other than a bad dice role.

Let's take your obvious counter argument: "Better competition in legion!" Legion meta is going to be TOTALLY unknown for regionals and even Blizzcon. People will watch and not be impressed by how fine-tuned and skilled everyone is. That's the nature of playing in a brand new expansion, or even patch. Adding in a new more suited player will make comps better. It will make the teams more stacked and competitive. But teams will still suck because it's the first few months of a new expansion, and friendships will be broken, probably not great, deep friendships, but nonetheless.. You also have to consider the extra added stress this puts on players after qualification. This is no way to craft rules.
I don't understand why they are using 2 different types of pvp in this tourney to begin with. You qualify in wod but compete using legions pvp. Also are you going to let people who were caught cheating to compete? Allowing teams that already qualified to play in other qualifying matches is fine only if they lose there seat if they are beat.
04/29/2016 12:48 PMPosted by Meatballtko
When qualifier is in one expansion and the finals are in the next one, you know how truly they care about wow esports (which doesn't exist in the first place).
Just wondering if this is the SAME AWRY that use to be in MALYGO'S...looking for them.
Please change the rule about being able to compete after already qualifying, this will 100% break the tourney.
Blizzard needs to do more for esports. Look at other games that have the "Leagues" you speak of. Teams qualify for them. They play EVERY week and have 8 or so teams in each split. You can follow the much more popular games and have spring, summer, fall splits ets where the best teams move to the next working its way to blizzcon. Top half move on to next season bottom half puts in a pool with teams not in it and they fight for a spot in the season. These other Free to play games are kicking your !@# and your the most popular MMO on the market. You charge a 15$ a month fee plus have all your other garbage micro transactions.

Now that your going to be able to better separate PvP from PvM do something for the gaming industry that you've been the leader of for so long. GCD as mentioned above shouldn't have to do this for you and since they already are support them. THEY are running on donations that they shouldn't have to doing your job of promoting the pvp scene the best they can. Shout out to Dmachine and his crew and the people donating to all the events hes held trying to keep this sinking ship afloat..
daily reminder that the rule about being able to compete after already qualifying should be removed.
05/03/2016 04:39 AMPosted by Dannycarry
Other games don't turn into new, totally different games between qualifiers and regionals, so it's easier to allow roster changes, and people generally only get replaced for legitimate reasons other than "Hey, you aren't as good as X player/class in this new game that the tournament is now based in, see ya later."

Other games quite often play for a bit on a different patch. i.e league of legends when they do their different events say PAX or IEM or whatever will be on previous patches.

As for roster changes that is part of it... If they are going to allow it then it is what it is. Like you said the meta will be unknown and as soon as it hits players like yourself and everyone on your level are going to be scrambling finding what works and what doesn't and how best to prepare. Players in other games have to do the same and learn new ones to play. I actually find this statement kind of funny from you Danny as Im sure your just like all the other high end pvpers and have had access to Alpha since it dropped. Your a R1 healer and very good on multiple toons. This wont be an issue for someone like yourself... But for players aspiring to be like you it will be.

I just hope they get everything right at the start and it isn't put a feral on your team push this button and you win like it is now...
05/13/2016 11:39 PMPosted by Absterge
daily reminder that the rule about being able to compete after already qualifying should be removed.
Posted by Lore

Hello Lore,

This is probably an inappropriate place to discuss this but as I have no access to Beta forums I feel the urge to post it here. I have played WoW since Vanilla. In fact, I had bought my first account two days after the launch of the game. I have prebought all expansions, and have a semi-spectacular desktop. I am a VP for a GCC and head a team of developers for IT applications and software pertinent to servers, networking, and design. I have two bachelors one in computer engineering and the other in computer science. I have played every expansion, I have participated in every event in blizzards launch from all games not just WoW. Yet I have NEVER had beta access to a single solitary game. Not ONE expansion in World of Warcraft. At first I believed this to be a string of bad luck. But now I believe you do not base Beta access off of loyalty, dedication, or knowledge that pertains to Beta testing. I am watching kids some as young as 10-13 years old do Youtube videos in regards to their Beta access, so I believe most are possibly at random. But the fact that I have never been considered for a single access code, seriously rubs me the wrong way. I have decided if I do not have access by the end of May I will be closing my account and moving on to not only a different game, but a different company all together do to how unfairly I have been treated for my loyalties and dedication to Blizzard. Hope this reaches something that it would concern but my guess is, it won't.
04/29/2016 04:35 PMPosted by Lore
and ask how you guys feel about it

Hello Lore,

This is probably an inappropriate place to discuss this but as I have no access to Beta forums I feel the urge to post it here. I have played WoW since Vanilla. In fact, I had bought my first account two days after the launch of the game. I have prebought all expansions, and have a semi-spectacular desktop. I am a VP for a GCC and head a team of developers for IT applications and software pertinent to servers, networking, and design. I have two bachelors one in computer engineering and the other in computer science. I have played every expansion, I have participated in every event in blizzards launch from all games not just WoW. Yet I have NEVER had beta access to a single solitary game. Not ONE expansion in World of Warcraft. At first I believed this to be a string of bad luck. But now I believe you do not base Beta access off of loyalty, dedication, or knowledge that pertains to Beta testing. I am watching kids some as young as 10-13 years old do Youtube videos in regards to their Beta access, so I believe most are possibly at random. But the fact that I have never been considered for a single access code, seriously rubs me the wrong way. I have decided if I do not have access by the end of May I will be closing my account and moving on to not only a different game, but a different company all together do to how unfairly I have been treated for my loyalties and dedication to Blizzard. Hope this reaches something that it would concern but my guess is, it won't.
05/17/2016 07:32 AMPosted by Onaolas
Hope this reaches something that it would concern but my guess is, it won't.
Well, yes. Wrong place.

LIke you, I'm the kind of person that should play test their game. For me, if given the "responsibility" of alpha or beta testing, I'd have to take it seriously.

That said, I'm looking at "NOT BEING IN THE FREAKING BETA!!!" as an opportunity for me to experience it at launch and have more time to suck the marrow from the Legion content before completing all my objectives.

Season 6 of DIII recently opened, and GRift 65 is calling me.

On topic: Lore, I believe you should do something to ensure people don't buy their way onto the winning team. Maybe just amending the rule such that the replacements of the one are from two pre-designated alternates. That way a team of four could be filled, within reason.

AND... you should consider splitting qualifier contests from qualified contests. All the things you said you wanted for those already qualified could be offered still, as long as the competition was not head to head, shutting out those yet to qualify.
In our latest Road to BlizzCon blog, we announced that we’ve further updated the rules for this year’s Arena tournament series based on everyone’s feedback on our original rules update. After further discussion, we’ve decided that once a team has qualified for Regionals, they will no longer be eligible to compete in additional qualifiers.

There were also some concerns raised over the ability for teams to swap out a member from their roster after qualifying. We discussed the possibility of changing this rule for North America, but felt that it would still be necessary for teams coming from other regions in the event that any of their team members have issues acquiring a visa to enter the United States for BlizzCon. As a result, we felt it would be unfair to only apply that restriction to North American teams, so that rule will remain.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback on this year’s Road to BlizzCon, and we’re looking forward to kicking things off this June.
@Lore How is blizzcon gonna work with legion coming out in august? It will be 2 different games from Online qualifiers and Regionals
05/31/2016 02:00 PMPosted by Lore
In our latest [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20136700"]Road to BlizzCon blog[/url], we announced that we’ve further updated the rules for this year’s Arena tournament series based on everyone’s feedback on our original rules update. After further discussion, we’ve decided that once a team has qualified for Regionals, they will no longer be eligible to compete in additional qualifiers.

There were also some concerns raised over the ability for teams to swap out a member from their roster after qualifying. We discussed the possibility of changing this rule for North America, but felt that it would still be necessary for teams coming from other regions in the event that any of their team members have issues acquiring a visa to enter the United States for BlizzCon. As a result, we felt it would be unfair to only apply that restriction to North American teams, so that rule will remain.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback on this year’s Road to BlizzCon, and we’re looking forward to kicking things off this June.
so you going to have a bot only bracket? or will the cheaters you don't ban gonna compete with everyone
Is this Arena Tournament going to allow for the collection of Murkimus the Gladiator pet for those that missed it previously?
After browsing through the rules and this forum, I didn't see any rules regarding game UI restrictions during the tourneys. Will the use of macros and addons be allowed or are those considered exploits?
I have on thing to say: The following is quoted directly from the email I received.

The 2016 Road to BlizzCon® is here, and we need you in the Arena. You've already proven to be one of the top competitors in the realm, and we want to invite you to prove your prowess in the Arena World Championship.

I nearly reported the letter as a phishing scam while laughing me head off. already proven to be one of the top competitors in the realm. Dear lord, the last time I did an arena was because someone begged, pleaded and dragged me into one for a few rounds where we got our buts kicked, reminding me again how much I hate PvP. Before that, the last time was during Wrath. I think you need to retrain whoever sent these things out.
06/09/2016 03:41 PMPosted by Shiross
I have on thing to say: The following is quoted directly from the email I received.

The 2016 Road to BlizzCon® is here, and we need you in the Arena. You've already proven to be one of the top competitors in the realm, and we want to invite you to prove your prowess in the Arena World Championship.

I nearly reported the letter as a phishing scam while laughing me head off. already proven to be one of the top competitors in the realm. Dear lord, the last time I did an arena was because someone begged, pleaded and dragged me into one for a few rounds where we got our buts kicked, reminding me again how much I hate PvP. Before that, the last time was during Wrath. I think you need to retrain whoever sent these things out.

I don't even have an arena or battleground rating in this expansion and I got the same e-mail...

Also I'm a clicker/keyboard turner.

I was gonna tell Dalaran to step up their PvP gameplay if someone like me gets invited.