Does Race Influence Class Choice?

General Discussion
In what way, if any, did your decision on your avatar’s Race play a role in choosing your avatar’s Class?

Hey guys, im curious as to how common it is to pick Class based Race choice, and if so, what were the reasons as to why that race and class combo made sense, or was preferable to you!
I generally pick class before race, because class provides the real substance of gameplay. Race is just an aesthetic choice. (Unless you RP.)

Half my racial choices are something that "fits" the image of the class. Like a Tauren Warrior.

Other times I role something amusing. Like a Male Panda Rogue, strictly because Death From Above exists.
Class first, race second.

Most players, of course, choose, Human or Night Elf / Blood Elf after that... half the toons almost.

So, picking Shaman makes those choices more interesting.
In the beginning when I first started to play this game way back in TBC, I wanted to play a rogue and I saw that undead looked the coolest and chose that.

But.. Now as I have grown up and taking the game slightly more serious than before, I choose my class based on the racial abilities I want. Horde vs Alliance hasn't really been balanced lately,

Alliance: If a class is available as human most likely people will roll human, this is due to imbalance of racials, Humans are a very good jack of all trades race. You can do similar damage PvE wise, while still excelling in PvP due to Every Man For Himself racial. If you are strictly PvE most people tend to pick whatever they find that looks appealing to them

Horde: Pretty balanced and spread out, but Orc slightly pulls ahead some of the time, with the Hardiness racial ontop of the Blood Fury talent that increases damage which is great for both PvP and PvE

Overall: For me personally, I always pick the class I want initially, but then I look at the best possible race for the class stat/gameplay wise, I've played almost every type of mmo under the sun from Anime based to Realistic looking so I don't find anything really cool or really lame.

Side note: Although I do love dressing my characters up from time to time. Blood elf Female Mage looks so pretty xD
I tend to pick the race in spite of my class.

Dark skull-clad overlord of death? Let's make it a three-foot tall little girl, it'll be funny and unique.

Wise, brilliant master of the arcane? Let's put those archmagi robes on the hulking green brute known for its proud and suicidal warrior tradition.

Just weird like that. Can't bring myself to play to stereotypes I guess.
in most cases ill go with any race..in some cases...i wont choose a race ebcasue of looks..example...if taurenhas a trolll racial..it would be choosen over the troll..i just cant get in to troll looks casts or any troll animation..same goes for dwarves.
When I was deciding what race my DK should be I knew that it could not be Draenei, since becoming a DK sounds like a sick and twisted punishment for a race so holy and pious.

So my DK is human.
I made this DK an Orc last expansion when weapon proficiency was still a thing.
These days, I dunno, I still may have made her an Orc, just because of how awesome they look.
05/04/2016 12:21 PMPosted by Huntsh
In what way, if any, did your decision on your avatar’s Race play a role in choosing your avatar’s Class?

Hey guys, im curious as to how common it is to pick Class based Race choice, and if so, what were the reasons as to why that race and class combo made sense, or was preferable to you!

I do the opposite, choose a race that is capable of being the class I want to play.
If you are alliance interested in serious pvp I would say race is human by default if possible. It is very sad if you select a class that can be human and sort by rankings. But anyway I pick class first and go from there.
This game originally belong to my husband, and he had only two toons, a Male Gmone Warrior and a Female Human Hunter, it took us a bite of time to put this game together, back then, a player needed to have all the expansion in order to make this game work.
and when the time came to play, some major bad luck came his way. (which is now all in the pass.)
anyway He wanted me to try and play it, so that if he ever had the time, we could play it together,
back then he made two other toons, and ask me to pick one, I pick the rogue, which made him happy.
He said that this elf look like me (without the ears) somewhat, and a bit like a *nippon too.
as of now, I'm still learning my toon. and having fun, best part, when my husband come home after a hards day of work, he like to get behind me, (hugging me,) and watching me play this game that he so wanted to play.
I never say no to him, we talk about the day, our kids, and other things while playing this game. (we are happy with what we have.)
As of now, I have about 13 toons that I play, as for class choice and race influence, I pick what was easy to play. Unless I need some new starting mounts. then I make any easy class and level them to 40 to get all that class mounts.

that about it.

[Nippon = Japan]
05/04/2016 12:21 PMPosted by Huntsh

Course it does...

I want to be a GNOME DRUID!

Gnomes can't be druids?

Ok I want to be a NE druid!
I think personality, that fits with the class. Weird to explain, certain races I give them personality traits, then choose the class.
When I started late Wrath, I liked the look of the Tauren and wanted to be this big powerful "Minotaur."

When worgen came out, Played a worgen as well.

MOP? I had like 4 pandaren for RP

Other then that, I tend to pick the race first then the class.
On my 1st toon I had an RAF and they were Tauren druid so I had to be Tauren something. In PnP gaming we always had the less experienced players play the melee classes, I was always some type of caster (often healer since no one ever wanted to be the cleric).

My next char was undead warlock as I'd read it was the best race for the class, then I lamented the orc pet bonus so I made an orc UH DK (who mostly blood tanked). All other choices were first, a class I didn't have and second, which race don't I have has the most advantage for that class.

I ended up with 2 Tauren (druid because they're my gatherer and herbalism bonus meant no one was going to steal my node) and some other class (I forget). I've recently started melee on alliance so I can play more races. Whenever I show my one friend my human rogue, however, they always get upset with me. My next char will be a monlk (I have 10 chars now, 3 sub 100) and whichever alliance race not human, pandaren, nor dwarf that has the highest representation in high rated PvP for the healing spec.
My mains Tauren, and the biggest races are usually synonymous with the smashiest. warriors just came by nature i suppose.
I actually choose both class and race at the same time. For example, I don't specifically say "OK, I want to be a monk, and draenei are pretty" or "I want to be a pretty draenei and monks sound cool." I'd say "I want to be a draenei monk, because there is some lore with monks in the auchenai and I want to be a part of that."

A few of my characters were made without this process--in those cases the class choice has generally informed the race rather than the other way around. Those characters don't have much development RP-wise, though, so I'm not very attached to them.
I rolled this toon in BC, and being as Horde, I gravitated towards Orc.

05/04/2016 01:49 PMPosted by Synthpop
I made this DK an Orc last expansion when weapon proficiency was still a thing.
These days, I dunno, I still may have made her an Orc, just because of how awesome they look.

Zug Zug Sister.

I race changed to Night Elf on this toon momentarily (this expansion 3 months) (She's been Orc since BC) and ended up coming back to Orc due to better combat animations and looking awesome in plate armour :).
When I first started, yes.

I wanted to be a Paladin.

I wanted to be Horde.

Option?

Blood Elf.

Nowadays?

Not really, as most classes can be most races, not all, but most.
I choose a Night Elf because I didn't want to be a human, but I wanted a decent looking race. I don't like how a lot of the armor options look on dwarves, Gnomes, or other races where the scaling can be a bit odd.