Why is Item Rarity still a thing?

General Discussion
Why is item rarity still a thing?

Pretty much everyone is decked out the rarest of the rare (epic) items. Why is purple just another way of saying 'this dropped from a raid/mythic dungeon'? Can't we actually use these classifications to make things feel more rewarding?

Honestly, they need to rethink how item rarity works. Epic items should be things like Blackhand's Hammer, Lei Shen's Crown, Garrosh's shoulders, those Archimonde Items, and things like that, iconic items that are actually EPIC. Everything else should be blue, or green.

Thoughts?
how do you have the effort to care about this
Because we get the weak items early, and then can replace them with epics later. As gear progresses epics become more common, obviously, but it's the initial start that matters.

I personally would like it if blues were more common in the future, and that pre-raid gear was an actual thing instead of just getting a catch up mechanic or easy epics. It's boring if you gear that easily and ilvl is the only real change.
05/14/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Leiaran
Pretty much everyone is decked out the rarest of the rare (epic) items.

-looks up and down at armor-

You aren't

I rest my case
05/14/2016 07:16 PMPosted by Baddeh

Because flavor/reward are a big part of an MMO. If the only thing you see go up is item level, it doesn't feel very rewarding, but if you find something that is purple that is ACTUALLY super rare+cool, it adds more personal value to it.
05/14/2016 07:18 PMPosted by Leiaran
Because flavor/reward are a big part of an MMO. If the only thing you see go up is item level, it doesn't feel very rewarding, but if you find something that is purple that is ACTUALLY super rare+cool, it adds more personal value to it.

im an elitist raider so i only care about numbers and complex mathematical equations. sorry
05/14/2016 07:18 PMPosted by Shauan
Pretty much everyone is decked out the rarest of the rare (epic) items.

-looks up and down at armor-

You aren't

I rest my case

All of my items are either purple or legendary, when in reality, most of them, in the effort it took to acquire them, should only be rare.

If you wanna feel like a special snowflake, get epic quality items that have "Mythic" written on them.

Pretty much everyone is decked out the rarest of the rare (epic) items. Why is purple just another way of saying 'this dropped from a raid/mythic dungeon'? Can't we actually use these classifications to make things feel more rewarding?

Honestly, they need to rethink how item rarity works. Epic items should be things like Blackhand's Hammer, Lei Shen's Crown, Garrosh's shoulders, those Archimonde Items, and things like that, iconic items that are actually EPIC. Everything else should be blue, or green.

Thoughts?

It is not item rarity, it is item quality. Purple items have a larger stat pool and that is all.

Clearly you don't feel rewarded if other people get good gear. But I'm okay with you feeling slighted.
05/14/2016 07:25 PMPosted by Hamstar

Thoughts?

It is not item rarity, it is item quality. Purple items have a larger stat pool and that is all.

They don't feel epic, though. I think item quality/rarity should be a way to gate how special the item is, rather than just 'everything in the endgame is purple', that's no fun.
05/14/2016 07:25 PMPosted by Bullcritt
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Clearly you don't feel rewarded if other people get good gear. But I'm okay with you feeling slighted.

I'm not saying gear should be worse, I'm saying rarity should be reserved for items that are actually rare, no need to be mean, I'm trying trying to encourage discussion on this topic.
05/14/2016 07:28 PMPosted by Leiaran
I'm trying trying to encourage discussion on this topic.

how about we discuss stuff over dinner tomorrow? 8 am est.

Thoughts?

We have moved on, Legendary's are now the thing.
Probably because players will continue to farm for those shiny purples, which means more sub time, which means more $$$ for Blizzard. Gotta have those shiny purples :P

Thoughts?
so im sure someone's already pointed this out but im going to do it anyhow,its not rarity for purples....ORANGE is rarity,or at least it is somewhat rare.....before wraith at least a legendary was a rare drop weapon,or in wraiths case,the quests alone took some time so not everyone was able to get them, its been different since cata with the long content droughts on the last raids so u see more and more people with that final legendary who have been in the expansion longer
I'm surprised the OP is getting down voted this hard. He kinda has a point. We use the same color for lfr as we do for mythic archimonde drops. Would it be so bad to make greens and blues a little more commonplace and purple a little more special?
05/14/2016 07:40 PMPosted by Ceronn
I'm surprised the OP is getting down voted this hard. He kinda has a point. We use the same color for lfr as we do for mythic archimonde drops. Would it be so bad to make greens and blues a little more commonplace and purple a little more special?

Why does it need to be 'special'? As said above, it's an indicator of 'quality', which confers a better stats pool over a green or blue item of similar ilvl. That's it.

What's so important about purple? I like it well enough as a colour, but the fascination with it baffles me.
I may be in purples but they are far from the best, never will be either and that's fine, those that seek the rarest should have the rarest.