Why is PvP so unpopular?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
What would you like to see in PvP that would make it more fun to you?
less twitch fanboys who think calling someone autistic is an insult
Since when is it unpopular ?
I don't know what you're talking about.
I really don't like trying to kill other players, so maybe I'm not the person to answer this. Not everyone plays WoW for the same reasons, so I totally get that other people enjoy PvP. I don't enjoy it, and I can't imagine anything that could make it "fun" for me. At least not if it involves killing other players, and I imagine PvPers feel exactly the opposite.
05/16/2016 09:19 PMPosted by Brahmina
I really don't like trying to kill other players, so maybe I'm not the person to answer this. Not everyone plays WoW for the same reasons, so I totally get that other people enjoy PvP. I don't enjoy it, and I can't imagine anything that could make it "fun" for me. At least not if it involves killing other players, and I imagine PvPers feel exactly the opposite.

Direct competition is fun for me.
05/16/2016 09:15 PMPosted by Rastein
Since when is it unpopular ?

As far as I know it has had less participation in ranked PvP each expansion. I believe I read that there are so few teams in 5v5 arena that getting that section of the arena master done (2200 rating in 5's) is extremely difficult due to low participation. I know I have PvP'd a lot less this expansion than MoP and I did a lot more random BG, world pvp and arena in TBC in a week than I do in a pvp season now. I don't really know why but PvP and even getting 100 3's wins or 40 RBG wins in a season for a mount just doesn't seem worth it to me for how little fun I have doing it. Some people still do enjoy it but it seems like people are either a diehard fan who enjoys the current meta or is completely turned off by it.
proper balance...
Do we have ratios of PVE only players?

I tend to avoid it because I don't like the concept of fighting players.
I cant speak for other people but for me personally gearing for it is a pain. Throwing my self head first at people in full conquest gear isn't fun. Get stomped endlessly until I am geared isn't fun for me. So normally I don't bother with PvP. Ashran has helped a little bit when it comes to gearing but then blizzard went and removed full premades so I don't really want to gamble on if I am going to get a good group or not.
05/16/2016 09:20 PMPosted by Khyr
05/16/2016 09:19 PMPosted by Brahmina

Direct competition is fun for me.
You just made me realize why I don't like killing people! Direct competition really isn't my thing. I prefer sports where I'm improving my own skills, times, etc. (rather than comparing myself to others). I can't believe I never saw this before. Thanks for the enlightenment. :)
05/16/2016 09:21 PMPosted by Sham
proper balance...

I think the conclusion amongst top end players is that WoD proved that balance isn't the be all and end all of what makes the PvP-side of the game good; i.e. enjoyable, in a given patch/expansion.
it's unpopular cause it's so boring thanks to the prune

#celestalonisunqualifiedforthejob
I love pvp, but it's so infested with bots and cheaters atm that it's completely pointless.
I think its unpopular because the pvp players hate the current balance/ cheating issues, and the pve players hate that an aspect of the game they dont like takes resources away from the area of the game they do like.
It feels like this really weird combination of both super bursty and huge amounts of self-healing for non-healers. I'm not even really sure how this makes sense in practice, but it is what it feels like when I have done pvp this expansion.

Also I think the bottom of the ladder has fallen out, which is a bit self-fulfilling. I'd be more likely to play if there were more people that were similarly terrible to me playing. Wow pvp is just generally extremely difficult and it isn't easy to understand what I'm doing wrong.
Removal of all small team PvP. Blizzard just needs to face facts, small scale PvP in WoW isn't possible to balance and it will never be a real esport. It's time to abandon Arena completely and work on making the large scale BGs more enjoyable to play in. Random maps, changing objectives, hell, steal Huttball from SWTOR and make it more WoW-like, anything to jazz up what has become even more boring than running MC every week for a year.
- Less barrier to entry
- Shorter length of time to maximize gear
- Shorter length of time to level

Those are 3 big things that could help PvP. When you look at the time it takes in WoW to get a character ready for PvP, its a real pita compared to other games.

Of course, the gameplay just needs to be balanced and fun as well.
Because people only willing to try in honorable, skill based situations and that's boring.
When I can last for more then ten seconds.