Why is PvP so unpopular?

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 26 Next
05/17/2016 09:29 AMPosted by Heädhunter
05/17/2016 09:26 AMPosted by Macávity
PvE servers exist for this exact reason.

So what is he crying about?

Grow up.
pvers are just as elitist / toxic as pvprs -11 years experience

05/17/2016 09:39 AMPosted by Anareiel
Grow up.

Man up.
05/17/2016 09:27 AMPosted by Shadethistle
And I don't mean mechanics like Ashran. The "hidden buff" system for the losing team is completely demoralizing. You can do everything right, and still lose every fight because your team was winning 30 minutes ago before you even got in the BG. It sucks.

The buff may look big in numbers, but it is not usually significant compared to things like leadership and co-operation. In that half hour most likely both teams had a 30% change in players. Someone stepped in on the other team and started leading.
PVP is the most popular thing among those I know.

I get funny looks when they hear I"m gonna heal a instance instead of pvp

guess it's just perception that it is or is not popular.

Most people I know say raiding is only popular with a very small segment of the community and the rest do other things, yet bliz caters to raiders, That's what others say to me. I don't yet have an opinion.
I liked PvP back in vanilla and TBC.

Classes were pretty balanced in pvp overall (yes we know some were op still)

now so many classes are at a disadvantage and its all based aroudn 5v5 and 3v3 :/

not around 1v1.

now GW2 pvp is addicting.world vs world are insanely fun.
As someone who loathes PVP in this game, I am not sure anything would make it appealing to me.

That being said I try it every expac, and will do so w/Legion. I think the changes they are making could have a significant impact
05/16/2016 09:25 PMPosted by Sadozai
I think the conclusion amongst top end players is that WoD proved that balance isn't the be all and end all of what makes the PvP-side of the game good; i.e. enjoyable, in a given patch/expansion.

Good point. This expansion is relatively balanced, everyone has a gimmicky one-shot mechanic they can fall back on if all else fails.

05/16/2016 09:41 PMPosted by Yagarr
Shorter length of time to maximize gear

This is a huge one. Ashran was a big FU to min-maxers, theory-crafters and altoholics.
05/16/2016 10:53 PMPosted by Shirt
There's no rewards akin to doing PvE for PvP.

Respectfully disagree.

Not only were there three seasons of PvP gear, much like tiers / raiding, PvP gear scaled UP. When I did my BGs this last week I got a box EVERY, SINGLE, TIME.

Win, lose, or draw, I got a box. Might contain gold, honor or an item. But I got something. Contrast that with progression raiding and you (hopefully) see that your comment is not correct.

When it comes to PvP, the gearing is more along the LFR model, with better stats. (Looks? Not so much)
As an old school vanilla pvper, the thing I miss most are the class counters. Blizzard tried to rebalance pvp and in their efforts destroyed the rock, paper, scissors of pvp.

Warrior > Rogue > Mage > Warrior

Healer > Burst DPS > DoT DPS > Healer

Caster > Melee > Healer > Caster

That's the way the game use to play out, now a great played Rogue could still beat a Warrior, but the Warrior had ways to hard counter many of the Rogues tricks. As a Rogue had many ways of shutting down casters.

It left the game feeling well balanced, the only downside was health pools were low and crits were high which resulted in the game feeling to bursty as players were getting one shot. Even now burst is still a problem in pvp watching people get almost one shot from 300k crits.
Delete rolling HoTs (or just resto druids in general)

And im a happy camper.
PVP isn't unpopular, but it's not the bread and butter of WoW either.

I tried doing arenas back in Cata, but didn't get very far so I'm not an expert in top end PVP. I ended up leaving not because of the competition, but really just how many people turned out to be bad sports. /Spitting, people going batcrap crazy even in unrated BGs, etc.

I do a little pvp on my monk and hunter but I really just dislike how people go insane. I feel that it's also a huge barrier to newcomers as well. You can cry all day about how people should have thick skins, but at the end if less and less people stay and 'git gud' because of prevailing attitudes, well the criers have no one to blame but themselves. It's a game and no one is beholden to stay through your crappy attitude.
05/17/2016 09:39 AMPosted by Krijoy
Stop making it something we have to do to get X,Y or Z for the PvE portion of the game.

As soon as they stop making PvPers PvE to get BIS.
05/17/2016 09:33 AMPosted by Macávity
Well you seem to be rather bothered by the fact that most players would not like to be flagged for PvP, and that this desire should somehow disqualify us from enjoying the game. I'd like to hear a defense of your position.

the notion that pvp is a side thing is really just dumb because its always been there since the beginning, were 3 day long AVs just a side thing to people who enjoy PvP?
05/17/2016 09:27 AMPosted by Hushpaw
05/17/2016 09:04 AMPosted by Zishu

Raiding is for the WOW players with no talent or Will to be better then the next guy by actually beating HIM and not a computer simulated enemy. If you don't like pvp don't bother posting about balance as your issue because the problem is you if thats why you don't like it.

Says the player who has never touched mythic content.

I could easily do Mythic iv raided in the past and done really well. With all the knowledge that exists on the internet these day it wouldn't be very hard to replicate a winning build spread sheet out the fight mechanics, practice the fights while recording and compare failures it to a successful attempt. Its nearly like PVE and PVP have the same formula for success except one has more mind game elements attached to it.
05/17/2016 09:54 AMPosted by Heädhunter
05/17/2016 09:33 AMPosted by Macávity
Well you seem to be rather bothered by the fact that most players would not like to be flagged for PvP, and that this desire should somehow disqualify us from enjoying the game. I'd like to hear a defense of your position.

the notion that pvp is a side thing is really just dumb because its always been there since the beginning, were 3 day long AVs just a side thing to people who enjoy PvP?

Well then, the people who enjoy PvP can do it all they want. Doesn't mean everybody has to be flagged all the time, lest the game "not be for them".
05/17/2016 09:48 AMPosted by Hambamwar
05/17/2016 09:39 AMPosted by Krijoy
Stop making it something we have to do to get X,Y or Z for the PvE portion of the game.

As soon as they stop making PvPers PvE to get BIS.

I agree. A nice separation of the two play modes would be good.
less pruning

seriously, if you don't participate in PvP then you had no idea how hard it's been hit by the class design team in WoD and in Legion
I just can't get interested in PvP because arena is so heavily based around comp rock paper scissors and CC spam and getting into rbgs would require me to spend even more nights playing WoW.
I would PvP if upon entering the BG everyones stats were equalized regardless of gear like the timewalking dungeons.

I came back to this expansion a month ago and there is just no point to spend a bunch of time getting slaughtered just to gear up enough to help my team while still getting slaughtered
05/17/2016 10:01 AMPosted by Gulkas
I just can't get interested in PvP because arena is so heavily based around comp rock paper scissors and CC spam and getting into rbgs would require me to spend even more nights playing WoW.

no offense but if you're never been above 1550 then getting counter comped is not your problem

it's fine if you don't like it but you shouldn't repeat stuff like this if you don't have the experience to know first hand whether or not it's true. the rock paper scissors right now is not as bad as it's made out to be. unless you're playing at the very top of the ladder (like, 2600+) there is plenty of room to beat your counter comps by just playing better. it's only at the very top (roughly top 0.5% of the rated ladder) where mistakes are very rare that it feels like you can't beat a counter no matter what you do.