Why is PvP so unpopular?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 26 Next
05/17/2016 09:38 AMPosted by Macávity
05/17/2016 09:35 AMPosted by Hyrc
Step out of your garrison once in a while to practice in duels and wargames so that you suck just a little bit less.
As you start to suck less and less, maybe you'll stop losing so much.

Summary: git gud.

I think this little diatribe pretty much answers the OP's title question in three short words: People like this.

False.
PvP is "unpopular" because of people like you - those who simply suck at it and are too afraid or apathetic to put any bit of time or effort into improving.
You getting irate because I suggested someone do duels and wargrames to improve themselves only further proves my point.
Most people do not like pvp because you need skill to be good at it,Not like pve where everything you do is the same.its always the same boss fight,you know just about everything that is going to happen,in pvp you never know, nothing is ever them same,I cant tell you how many times i have read, for a invite you MUST know the fight, when going into a dungeon..
CC. Hands down. Everyone has it, everyone uses it. Even with CC breakers you can easily be stunlocked with no reconciliation. Pruning made it better, but not significantly.

Make it to where you can be stunned twice before you're immune for a period of time (30 seconds?). I just want to play but in smaller groups I'm stunned, feared, incapacitated, etc until I visit the graveyard.
Likely due to the elitist attitudes a lot of PvPers have. Couple that with a lot of hateful, non-supportive banter and yelling at one another and the community as a whole is shadowed by frustration and whining, in BG's anyways. I PvP casually and would think that, for me, if I'm ever not in the mood that it's due to class balancing and poor updates. I have a tendency to pick specs/classes that simply aren't doing well in PvP at the time, like WW monk on 6.2. We're not bad but we're not that great. I played a holy paladin in 5.4 and that was awful, too. I wished Blizzard would see what isn't doing well, fix it, and fix the ones doing too well. Of course it interferes with PvE so it can't be expected to happen a lot.
So you see certain specs/classes/comps that work in PvP very well being used over and over and..over. It becomes stale and predictable. Certain specs are garbage, others are Gods and that sometimes removed skill from the equation.
It kind of has forced a lot of people to choose certain classes so they can beat the system and be the best on paper before they even fight anything. Luckily I think Legion will be able to fix this issue a little bit!
I like PVP, even though I'm not good at it. Though sometimes I have to wonder if I'm actually playing against real people when I do it. I saw a Warlock or somebody rapidly switch between his current target and me the moment I broke any of his CC to reapply it once, which was pretty strange to me.

Speaking of which, I have come to despise Horrify effects because they bypass fear immunity. The notion that you can scare something immune to fear just baffles me.
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned

dead.
05/17/2016 10:08 AMPosted by Aloralynn
Likely due to the elitist attitudes a lot of PvPers have

You act like this is strictly a PvP thing.

There are just as many (probably more seeing how PvE is more popular in this game) elitest, !@# hole PvErs are there are elitest, $%^ hole PvPers.

Jerks are gonna be jerks, no matter where you put them.
I despise PVP, thus I don't play PVP. I revisit every so often, just to remind myself why I hate it so much.

I don't get ANY enjoyment out of dying. It's fun when you win, but being a 100% horde player, I don't see wins very often and I'm not a fan of losing.

The single-worst thing Blizzard did with PVP was adding resilience back during the later part of Burning Crusade. That one single stat was more of a deterrent for me than anything else. It's gone now, but after all of these years, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. The second worst thing that happened was battlegroups (even though i saw how necessary they became). If your main server ended up in a crummy battlegroup, there wasn't much you could do about it. Again, losing over and over and over and over again doesn't do much for me, so I couldn't care less about PVP anymore.

The next thing that made me almost hate PVP was the PVP crybabies that screamed and cried constantly about "balance'". There will NEVER be 100% balance in PVP in any game unless every character has the exact same skills. People love it when they can 1-shot others and when that goes away, the crying starts and never seems to stop. PVP crybabies ruined PVP more than the in-game changes ever could.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Extreme punishment for killing anyone 10 lvls under you.
05/17/2016 10:10 AMPosted by Yoinx
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned

dead.

Another person complaining of a L2P issue.
I love PvP, it's fun.

I hate having to respec, regear, and reorganize my talents just to be able to fight another player.

I love World PvP and jumping into BGs. But when I would be questing in my "normal" gear/build and another player, speced and geared for PvP, ambushes me, and I have literally no chance, since I can't change into my PvP gear/build in response, it annihilates all manner of "fun" in it.

When I have spent the last 3 hours raiding and want to pop into a BG for a bit to round out the day, and get slaughtered, not because of skill, but because my Spec/Raid gear is tissue paper against the PvPer in full Conquest gear (of the same ilvl), it's not fun.

I'm hoping that Legion's changes will allow me to enjoy PvP again.
05/17/2016 10:08 AMPosted by Aloralynn
Likely due to the elitist attitudes a lot of PvPers have. Couple that with a lot of hateful, non-supportive banter and yelling at one another and the community as a whole is shadowed by frustration and whining, in BG's anyways.

That's like my favorite thing about PVP. People are unintentionally hilarious when they rage out and demean each other. Keep that expletive filter off and let the laughs roll in.
WPvP is NOT supposed to be "fair", where did that line of thought come from? I don't know how long you've been playing MMORPGs with PvP involved but you're complaining about an aspect that has been the same in every MMORPG that has "world" PvP.

It is because of YOUR way of thinking, along with others like you, that has caused such a problem in WoW PvP, both instanced and world.

PvP realms were created for people with a PvP mentality and game play, which lasted until PvE players started whining and crying about world PvP on a PvP server. Once that started, the ball started rolling down hill and has gotten too large to manage.

WoW is done being any sort of PvP game, it is a PvE dominant MMORPG with the player base complaining about PvP constantly.

Sucks, but it's a reality most do not want to admit to.
05/17/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Hyrc
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned

dead.

Pretty much.

I play the same class as that person and yet I don't share their problems -- wanna know why? It's because I don't overextend / position badly making myself an obvious target to get blown up, I don't throw away my trinket for nothing I save it for when I really need it, and I manage my other defensive CDs like vanish, cloak, and evasion properly as well.

As a rogue, they really have no right to complain. If you die as a rogue you simply have no one to blame but yourself. We have excellent tools for surviving and escaping, you just have to be willing to examine your own mistakes and learn how to use them properly.

And seriously, don't throw your trinket away on something dumb like a sap or a warrior fear or even a stun when no damage CDs are being used, lol. I almost always have mine available and in the rare case that an enemy team forces my trinket but still has the offensive resources left to burst me down in a stun, I always let my healer know to expect it.

Source: I have been PvPing on a rogue since vanilla
05/17/2016 09:39 AMPosted by Heädhunter
pvers are just as elitist / toxic as pvprs -11 years experience

05/17/2016 09:39 AMPosted by Anareiel
Grow up.

Man up.

yeah my pve really stalls you off from queueing up doesn't it? Oh the horror of all those times when you couldn't enjoy your fav BG because I and others were raiding!
05/17/2016 10:05 AMPosted by Battlemester
Most people do not like pvp because you need skill to be good at it,Not like pve where everything you do is the same.its always the same boss fight,you know just about everything that is going to happen,in pvp you never know, nothing is ever them same,I cant tell you how many times i have read, for a invite you MUST know the fight, when going into a dungeon..

Nice meme.
Research some of the Youtube videos of WoW PvP. These people make me embarrassed to be a human.
Cuz its not as fun as in WildStar, PvP in WoW is just overtaken by Veterans and Pro Players
05/17/2016 10:05 AMPosted by Hyrc

I think this little diatribe pretty much answers the OP's title question in three short words: People like this.

False.
PvP is "unpopular" because of people like you - those who simply suck at it and are too afraid or apathetic to put any bit of time or effort into improving.
You getting irate because I suggested someone do duels and wargrames to improve themselves only further proves my point.

You're kind of moving the goalposts here, you asked me why I would rather play an easier style of PvP instead of improving myself at the current style.

I don't care for the current style and therefore have no desire to spend time playing it, so in a way you're correct, I'm very apathetic and don't want to put any time or effort into improving because I just don't like what I would be having to put time and effort into in order to improve at.

Why this bothers you is beyond me.
05/17/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Hyrc
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned
/stunned

dead.

Not sure how it's a L2P when all of your moves are locked.