Why is PvP so unpopular?

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
05/17/2016 10:18 AMPosted by Macávity
Why this bothers you is beyond me.

The same reason if a Pvper would come into a pve thread and make wild statements
Dear Blizzard,

I would enjoy PVP more if you made my Conqueror/Justicar title account wide. It took an eon to get it; I should have it on all my characters.

Thanks.
Healers are way too strong and make too much of a difference.

I once had a BG where both teams had no healers, it was the best match I've ever had.
05/16/2016 09:13 PMPosted by Verbatim
What would you like to see in PvP that would make it more fun to you?

Personal perspective only, so...

1. Whether or not one enjoys PvP is personal. Like raiding, doing professions, achieve hunting, mount collecting... whatever game feature you want to point out... some like it and some don't. I'm one of those that don't. I've tried it and decided it's not for me.

2. Part of what turned me off of PvP was the inherent imbalance- there were obvious advantage classes and specs and taking anything else would lead to...

3. The attitude of a lot of PvP "fans" is rude, abrasive, elitist and insulting. I get more than enough of that at work and at home... I'll be damned if I'll subject myself to more of it as part of my relaxation and entertainment.

If the people weren't so hostile to new people trying to learn it might make a difference.
Thank you.. I thought would go with my Bloodthirsty title :-)
05/17/2016 10:20 AMPosted by Yoinx
05/17/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Hyrc
Another person complaining of a L2P issue.
Not sure how it's a L2P when all of your moves are locked.

It's a L2P issue because

a) if you're playing a BG then you shouldn't try to take on superior numbers or get too far away from your healers. if you die in a BG it's because you put yourself in a position to die.

b) if you're playing arenas then you have two teammates to protect you when you get stunned, and you have at least 3 CC break trinket between you (in addition to any CC breaks that your class might have) to shut down enemy burst attempts. if you properly rotate and manage these defensive CDs instead of just trinketing the first CC thrown at you when you didn't need to waste it like that, you should have no problem surviving for a very long time.

this is an example of someone being so inexperienced that they don't even realize what they're doing wrong. they don't know what it is that they don't know, so they can't take responsibility for their mistakes and instead assume that it must be the game's fault that they died.
05/17/2016 10:05 AMPosted by Shoegäzer
05/17/2016 10:01 AMPosted by Gulkas
I just can't get interested in PvP because arena is so heavily based around comp rock paper scissors and CC spam and getting into rbgs would require me to spend even more nights playing WoW.

no offense but if you're never been above 1550 then getting counter comped is not your problem

it's fine if you don't like it but you shouldn't repeat stuff like this if you don't have the experience to know first hand whether or not it's true. the rock paper scissors right now is not as bad as it's made out to be. unless you're playing at the very top of the ladder (like, 2600+) there is plenty of room to beat your counter comps by just playing better. it's only at the very top (roughly top 0.5% of the rated ladder) where mistakes are very rare that it feels like you can't beat a counter no matter what you do.

I'm sorry, I thought the question was why I don't PvP. I don't play arena because this happens once you get to a higher level of play, which turns me off. Are you denying it happens or are you saying that since I don't PvP I don't get to comment on what keeps me from looking to PvP at a higher level?
I play some pvp but i'm admittedly bad. I feel a large part of being succsesful in pvp is having good macros and good addons. There's comps which are exceptionally stronger than others. Also all the CC...As a healer i can get CC'd out for 20 seconds (via specific comps) without getting to do anything, which isn't that fun. Also the gear treadmill is a turn off for some people.

Having to set up macros and addons to do well in pvp is a turn off for some people especially new players who have no idea what's going on :x

IMO for pvp to be more appealing we need less CC, a standardised UI in rated pvp and the strength of healing to be tuned down a bit.
05/17/2016 10:24 AMPosted by Shoegäzer
...Not sure how it's a L2P when all of your moves are locked.

It's a L2P issue because

[/quote]
And if you're just in a PVP realm? And there's no unlocking move on a disc priest unless for some reason I just don't have it on my bar. I don't do a lot of BGs because it's usually terribly disorganized to the point where you are just going to get ganged up on by a bunch of other players. Nothing to do with not knowing my class.
We should really have another thread why people hate PVE just to bring balance
you know you love it when someone pops trinket on the first sap.. :-)
I am the slow and methodical type and don't like prancing around trying to kill other players... it gives me a headache and back ache in less than half an hour.
05/17/2016 10:18 AMPosted by Anareiel
yeah my pve really stalls you off from queueing up doesn't it? Oh the horror of all those times when you couldn't enjoy your fav BG because I and others were raiding!

Not sure what you're going on about, you sure are stupid!
05/17/2016 10:24 AMPosted by Shoegäzer
...Not sure how it's a L2P when all of your moves are locked.

It's a L2P issue because

a) if you're playing a BG then you shouldn't try to take on superior numbers or get too far away from your healers. if you die in a BG it's because you put yourself in a position to die.

b) if you're playing arenas then you have two teammates to protect you when you get stunned, and you have at least 3 CC break trinket between you (in addition to any CC breaks that your class might have) to shut down enemy burst attempts. if you properly rotate and manage these defensive CDs instead of just trinketing the first CC thrown at you when you didn't need to waste it like that, you should have no problem surviving for a very long time.

this is an example of someone being so inexperienced that they don't even realize what they're doing wrong. they don't know what it is that they don't know, so they can't take responsibility for their mistakes and instead assume that it must be the game's fault that they died.

you know you love it when someone pops a trinket on the first sap. :-)
05/17/2016 10:26 AMPosted by Gulkas
05/17/2016 10:05 AMPosted by Shoegäzer

no offense but if you're never been above 1550 then getting counter comped is not your problem

it's fine if you don't like it but you shouldn't repeat stuff like this if you don't have the experience to know first hand whether or not it's true. the rock paper scissors right now is not as bad as it's made out to be. unless you're playing at the very top of the ladder (like, 2600+) there is plenty of room to beat your counter comps by just playing better. it's only at the very top (roughly top 0.5% of the rated ladder) where mistakes are very rare that it feels like you can't beat a counter no matter what you do.

I'm sorry, I thought the question was why I don't PvP. I don't play arena because this happens once you get to a higher level of play, which turns me off. Are you denying it happens or are you saying that since I don't PvP I don't get to comment on what keeps me from looking to PvP at a higher level?

Let me put this in perspective for you. I have PvPed for 11 years. I am pretty good at this game - not elite, but pretty good. I have every class at 100 and I can play all of them. I am a 1x gladiator and multiple time duelist on my main class (rogue).

And I have yet to reach a high enough rating where counter comps are insurmountable. 99.5% of players who participate in rated PvP (so we're not even talking about casual pvpers here, just those who play rated) will never reach a rating where counter comping becomes an issue.

If counter comping is the only reason that you don't participate then I'm sorry but that's a very stupid reason. The chances it would ever effect you are laughably low.

For the overwhelming majority of players who participates in PvP, class and composition will be less of a factor in determining the outcome than strategy and skill. Anyone who complains about counters but is playing at anything less than the very top of the ladder is just in denial -- counter comps aren't the reason you lost, you just lost because the other team played better than you did, and the faster you admit that to yourself the faster you can actually improve at the game.
You obviously missed the point with an attitude that he/she accurately pointed out.
The complete removal of progression systems.

Progression systems that make a character objectively stronger turn PvP into a caste system where anyone who started later or doesn't have as much time to play is at a double disadvantage against anyone who's been at it longer or devotes more time to it. It's fine that those players will have more knowledge and skill at the game, but they don't need to be literally stronger than other players on top of that.

That's a problem? If someone spends more time at it, they shouldn't be stronger? what the hell?
05/17/2016 09:30 AMPosted by Aehl
Flying in or out of Stormshield on a fp or on my own mount, forceflagged. Fly even an inch too close to Wintergrasp in Northrend, forceflagged. Throw a ball (and yes I tested this the other day) to another player in Stormwind who was pvp flagged, I was forceflagged as well

If you overfly Volmar in Tanaan, and I mean overfly, not land in....forceflagged,

Did Kazz the other day, a player was pvp flagged...and a few seconds later so was everyone else.

You can still be flagged pvp without your consent or you typing anything. Reported this multiple times..still happens.

The system is still bugged, still broken.

Just... no.

Don't complain the system is broken because you're flying over Vol'mar or any Horde cities, or even Wintergrasp. WG is a PvP zone and is clearly labeled as one, and it makes sense to flag people for PvP when entering the opposite faction's city or capital.

The rest I suppose Blizz could fix it.
05/16/2016 09:13 PMPosted by Verbatim
What would you like to see in PvP that would make it more fun to you?

Back during Crapaclysm, I remember seeing a chart that Blizz posted with stats showing that PvP and PvE players are nearly equal. However, the number of people has greatly declined for many reasons. Cheating, bots, no balance, no new arenas of BG's, lack of care from the lead PvP dev., etc.

How to make PvP better.

1. Rewards for world PvP. Sure there is the mount achievement but once you have the mount there is no other reasons left (other than personal fun). We need something fresh, exciting, and something that sets world PvPers apart from all others.

2. Balance is desperately needed. Counters to classes would be amazing if done right.

3. Bots and cheaters need to have their CC and CC billing address, account, ip address, and email permanently banned.

4. Lead PvP designer has to be interactive with the players and show that he gives a damn.

5. Blizzard hosted PvP events would be awesome. Check your calendar and there is a battle in somewhere in azeroth.

6. A system similar to the dishonor system. Maybe a debuff that makes the player weaker or hostile to all factions.

There is a ton of things that can be done, but unfortunately they won't happen.

/quack
05/17/2016 10:33 AMPosted by Xaeminos
The complete removal of progression systems.

Progression systems that make a character objectively stronger turn PvP into a caste system where anyone who started later or doesn't have as much time to play is at a double disadvantage against anyone who's been at it longer or devotes more time to it. It's fine that those players will have more knowledge and skill at the game, but they don't need to be literally stronger than other players on top of that.

That's a problem? If someone spends more time at it, they shouldn't be stronger? what the hell?

They shouldn't be stronger in an instanced PVP environment IMO. But for the time we put into pvp we should be rewarded ranks/titles cosmetic rewards etc. Which is literally what theyre doing in the next xpac Legion.