I hate the proving grounds

General Discussion
OP?

Why do you have intellect sword and shield equipped as prot? @_o
I'm legit bad on this Mage. I am arcane pretty much 100% of the time and haven't finished PG. what should I be doing it in? Fire, arcane or frost? I got to 7/8 silver and end up running around like a me a chicken with my head cut off. Finished with t as a hunter and DK but not Mage.
I failed on my shaman but that was a boosted character and I had no idea how to play.

Ive never had a problem with any of the classes I've played since level 1.

On my frost DK I actually thought I had done bronze twice it was so easy.
05/23/2016 02:52 AMPosted by Natiandal
I'm legit bad on this Mage. I am arcane pretty much 100% of the time and haven't finished PG. what should I be doing it in? Fire, arcane or frost? I got to 7/8 silver and end up running around like a me a chicken with my head cut off. Finished with t as a hunter and DK but not Mage.

Arcane is the easiest spec for proving ground. If you're having mobility issues with the two amber dudes, sheep one.
05/23/2016 02:52 AMPosted by Natiandal

I only play arcane. It is painfully easy. Sheep a glob guy. Pull a glob into the healer while you nuke him. Nuke the unsheeped glob guy. I think I had over 35 seconds left on mage.
05/22/2016 08:48 PMPosted by Petersen
05/22/2016 08:42 PMPosted by Kravos

No system would get every bad player out. This got out the worst of the worst. That's all it really ever could do.

And I was very thankful to have it. And no, Vote Kick won't fix it because of the asinine "you've kicked too many people recently and/or this player has been kicked too much, so you can't kick for 4 hours". I'll just not-do them. :shrug:

Then the system worked to rid bad players from heroics. You wont be missed.
There still should be some sort of proving grounds for people who boost classes they have never played before imo. Other then that could care less about its removal as a gate.
05/22/2016 07:02 PMPosted by Speedslink
OK. Well, Proving grounds are gone in Legion, so you can rejoice.

I've got no problem with the silver pgs. I've done it 11 times (1 per each class). What I have a problem with is that they are required for Heroics which tanks chain pull and dps is way overgeared. Healers don't even bother to heal and just help dps. What a joke.

For the remainder of WoD they should remove that dumb requirement from Heroics, apply it to Mythic dungeons where it's really needed and add a Mythics option to the dungeon finder tool. That would be awesome.
I did proving silver on this toon, who still has gear from MoP (not affected by any kind of scaling up) in one shot.

Learn to play.
05/22/2016 07:21 PMPosted by Succeeded
If you can't do silver or even gold proving grounds on a class then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Not trying to sound like an !@# but every class is able to pass at LEAST silver without trouble. If you can't do it then it's either skill related or maybe (although unlikely) a gear issue.

Strangely, you sound exactly like an !@#. Maybe it's not skill or gear related but simply that someone is physically not able to react as fast as is required, while still being perfectly adequate to play their class. Not everyone has the reaction times of a sugar-crazed 12 year old.

If I'm in a group, or, heaven forfend, a raid, and I'm having to deal with a healing mob while avoiding two attacking mobs as a ranged DPS then I'd say the problem was more likely with the tank than anything I was doing.
it doesn't work for some spec, yeah

I bought 2nd spec for some classes just to get past proving ground
05/23/2016 08:24 AMPosted by Hexraven
05/22/2016 07:21 PMPosted by Succeeded
If you can't do silver or even gold proving grounds on a class then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Not trying to sound like an !@# but every class is able to pass at LEAST silver without trouble. If you can't do it then it's either skill related or maybe (although unlikely) a gear issue.

Strangely, you sound exactly like an !@#. Maybe it's not skill or gear related but simply that someone is physically not able to react as fast as is required, while still being perfectly adequate to play their class. Not everyone has the reaction times of a sugar-crazed 12 year old.

If I'm in a group, or, heaven forfend, a raid, and I'm having to deal with a healing mob while avoiding two attacking mobs as a ranged DPS then I'd say the problem was more likely with the tank than anything I was doing.

I'm disabled and have those poor reflexes you talk about. I still did it with no problems.

/micdrop
05/22/2016 07:00 PMPosted by Lookpeople
Proving grounds are ok for some classes, but suck for others. An the fact you need silver to get in heroic stinks for those classes.

I absolutely love it actually, teaches you the basics of your class and gets you ready for raiding / grouping.

I also got endless 30 waves in pandaria on my holy priest, which was one of the hardest healing specs to do it on, required me to learn my class in a way I'd never used it before, I had to master the chakra changes and learn what cooldowns to burn on what waves and it ramped up harder and harder, mana efficiency, everything it was awesome. Out of all the achievements in the game I take the most pride in that one.
Eh, gold sucks as a feral in pvp gear, but other than that i can't see anyone having any trouble with silver.
05/23/2016 08:26 AMPosted by Kravos

I'm disabled and have those poor reflexes you talk about. I still did it with no problems.

/micdrop

So you speak for all disabilities and conditions? I repeat, just because you can do it doesn't mean everyone else can, and just because they can't pass this incredibly unrepresentative test does not mean that they are bad at their role in actual dungeons and raids. Likewise, passing the test doesn't make you a good raider, it just makes you adequate at this one test.

And I'm not saying this out of sour grapes, I've passed the thing on several classes, but I've never encountered a comparable situation in actual groups or raids.
05/23/2016 09:07 AMPosted by Hexraven
I've never encountered a comparable situation in actual groups or raids.

You've never encountered a dps check?

Never encountered a mechanic that makes you move in relationship to a boss?

Never needed to prioritize attacking a healer or dangerous add?

You're thinking too rigidly. Every single mechanic in PG's have a mechanic that is similar in some fight. Yes you don't have the exact mechanic, but you have analogs.

I don't think you could name a single mechanic in Silver PG for any role that doesn't have an analog in some dungeon or raid.
05/23/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Kravos

I don't think you could name a single mechanic in Silver PG for any role that doesn't have an analog in some dungeon or raid.

How about the part where the two guys are throwing amber globs at you while you are trying to interrupt the healer, and you have a very limited time to take all of them down in? As a ranged dps I might be expected to interrupt, I might have to be quick on my feet to avoid crap dropping on me, but I can't think of any situation in where I'd be doing that on a strict time limit.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Seriously? /rejoices

They're no t gone, but they're not gating heroic dungeons anymore. People who couldn't pass silver PG will be finding themselves kicked from mythic dungeons very quickly.

Are they gating mythic dungeons or are you saying people will check for the achievement and kick if you don't have it?
I honestly could only do proving grounds as WW or assassination rogue.

Everything else is just too boring to do it on.
05/23/2016 09:22 AMPosted by Hexraven
05/23/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Kravos

How about the part where the two guys are throwing amber globs at you while you are trying to interrupt the healer, and you have a very limited time to take all of them down in? As a ranged dps I might be expected to interrupt, I might have to be quick on my feet to avoid crap dropping on me, but I can't think of any situation in where I'd be doing that on a strict time limit.

The globules are similar to line-of-sight moments or "move out of fire", except the punishment is a stun rather than damage. The benefits of avoid that orb is an extra 50% damage on enemies that you've blocked. Everbloom in relevant gear requires proper interrupts on Gola's Revitalizing Waters while actively moving out of the vines and Dulhu's AoE/charges. If you haven't had to do that in heroic, you weren't running them in the first few weeks or someone else did it for you....or you wiped.