Variety calls Warcraft movie unwatchable

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 25 Next
I think i am going to watch it for myself. I never liked reveiws for movies.
Professional reviews often clash mightily with public opinion. Movie-goers will decide this one.
05/25/2016 11:30 AMPosted by Telsek
Professional reviews often clash mightily with public opinion. Movie-goers will decide this one.

I agree. The reviews for Star Wars Episode 7 were all positive, but most people I know think the film sucked.
So Vin Diesel is playing a troll in the movie? I guess it will be worth a ticket...

Zigra,
Prone to advertisement.
05/25/2016 10:23 AMPosted by Elae
Why do people like it then in your opinion?

I think it is because it looked like Star Wars and more importantly it felt like Star Wars in a way the prequels certainly didn't. It had fun, interesting characters that actually had chemistry together. Some of them even expressed joy and excitement instead of robotically delivering dialogue. It had fantastic visuals, great action scenes and meaningful moments. Some of the narrative is definitely a bit of a mess (about as bad as the originals but nowhere near is nonsensical as the prequels, particularly Phantom Menace).

The Universe felt lived in and real. Somebody pointed out what a huge difference it makes that the aliens mostly speak their own language instead of just using terrible accents.

Absolutely the plot is a re-tread of A New Hope and some of Return of the Jedi. It is also still a paint by the numbers Hero's Journey like A New Hope. Again I believe this was a deliberate choice by Disney, Abrams and crew to show the fans that they were going back to basics and to show they understood what Star Wars was about. I get why a lot of people don't like the "rebooted" nature of the movie but I think it worked very well to set the stage and I expect we'll have a different plot for the next movies now that they've gotten the ball rolling.
05/25/2016 11:32 AMPosted by Elae
05/25/2016 11:30 AMPosted by Telsek

I agree. The reviews for Star Wars Episode 7 were all positive, but most people I know think the film sucked.

You knew it was going to have problems when the director said they were adding characters just for the sake of diversity. I thought the black guy was almost as bad as Jar-Jar Binks.
I read A LOT of good reviews about The Force Awakens, enough to actually go watch it opening weekend. It was one of the worst movies that I have ever seen(and I have seen Battlefield Earth)! Moral of the story is NEVER trust a movie review.
From what I read, they go in with the intent of hating it. I certainly hope its good. And if its likes well by the public, we can all laugh at the critics who act like they are more evolved than the rest of us.
05/25/2016 12:08 PMPosted by Skinnsteel
05/25/2016 12:07 PMPosted by Dénarius
From what I read, they go in with the intent of hating it.

Because everyone who doesn't love the movie must have a motive for hating it and plotting its downfall..

I never said that. From the stuff I read, I get the impression that they aren't giving it a fair shake. They dismiss it as a Video game movie ad leave it at that.
The same guy who wrote this review is the same guy that gave Jupiter Ascending an 85% and Dragonball Evolution a 4/5.

He is the equivalent of a forum troll. Just ignore him and move on.
The difference is that the Lord of the Rings has a strong story behind it, while Warcraft I is just a serious of plot points. That gives people something to hold onto. I haven't seen the movie but from that article it sounds like the Warcraft movie asks people to swallow an awful lot-- alternate dimensions, tears in reality, warlocks, mind control. Plus I hate to be superficial but just relating to Orcs and the way they look will be hard for some people, even Warcraft fans. There is a reason the most popular races for players are the most human looking

Part of Warcraft's problem is that it strayed from the original Good vs Evil of the original Warcraft 1 +2 storyline to go back to this wishy-washy morality is subjective nonsense that was introduced (to terrifyingly bad effect) in Warcraft 3. Blizzard had the good sense to try (not very successfully) to correct their course in MoP by showing how Evil the Horde really is, but why did they think this was a good idea for their movie???

This kind of post-modernist garbage storytelling may work (commercially, at any rate) in a novel or in a video game (barely) but not in a movie.

Why do people think that Lord of the Rings and Star Wars were so popular?
I'm still going to go see it. It very well might be bad, but oh well.
05/25/2016 11:32 AMPosted by Elae

Most people I knew just thought it was average, myself included. It's certainly better than the prequels.
Um...I'm just going to assume that people talking about The Force Awakens are just trolling.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens currently has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 81% rating on Metacritic, and is the highest grossing domestic film of all time.

Please tell me you guys are just joking.
I read a few other reviews and they seem to say the same thing.

LFR has come to the big screen.
05/25/2016 01:28 PMPosted by Aelyith
Um...I'm just going to assume that people talking about The Force Awakens are just trolling.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens currently has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 81% rating on Metacritic, and is the highest grossing domestic film of all time.

Please tell me you guys are just joking.

I genuinely did not like The Force Awakens.

I found the new characters lame and the whole premise a inferior modern version of A New Hope.

And the premise feels to rushed like who are these First Order guys and how did they end up as powerful as the old Empire?

And how did they end up making a Death Star that is even more powerful then the last?

And even then I just think the older Star Wars extended universe offered better stoires then this.

Kyle Katarn and Admiral Thrawn >>>>> Rey and Kylo Ren.

Star Wars X-Wing games, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games >>>> JJ Abrams Star Wars movies :P
100 Worgen Death Knight
Neurotic
I called it months ago that the movie would suck. Any movie based adaptation of a video game will ALWAYS suck!

Super Mario Bros.
Double Dragon
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat (both of them)
Resident Evil
House of the Dead
Alone in the Dark
Doom
Silent Hill
Hitman
The Angry Birds Movie

Resident Evil and Silent Hill were good. Hitman was a good movie, the lead guy was just to young and pretty for the part so that kinda killed it.
Typically if the reviewers don't like a movie then I'll see it. If they do like it then I wait for it to come on cable.

I watch movies for entertainment value.
Batman v Superman got trashed by critics but it made a lot of money and broke opening weekend records. I loved that movie, saw it twice in the theaters and can't wait for the blu-ray. Nobody who can think for themselves gives a damn about what movie critics think.