Thank you, Blizzard Entertainment & Warcraft

Customer Support
Blizzard,

I grew up as a rather sickly child. I fought long and hard to just have a normal childhood whereas most of the people reading this likely have had a better childhood than I have had in terms of health. Being healthy is a key factor in life, especially in our world. I wasn’t the healthy child. I was sick all the time. I was constantly in and out of hospitals. My parents were going broke over paying for my own medical bills.

With a bad heart condition, and a number of other conditions at my birth things took a turn for the worse when I got Kawasaki Disease. I was misdiagnosed by a hospital, but, through being misdiagnosed I ended up finding a world class cardiologist from the University of California: San Francisco that became hugely involved in my case, my care, and started breaking down the barriers my parents had to suffer all my life. My disease was rare at the time, my heart condition made it nothing short of a miracle.

I was a young child and the Make-A-Wish Foundation granted my wish. I didn’t wish to meet Blizzard Entertainment, unfortunately. But, I did do something as equally awesome to meeting my favorite gaming company. What I wished for was to talk to my President. Thus, I was flown out to Washington, D.C. and I spent time with the sitting President in the White House. At this time, you should all know who it was: President Clinton. Everyone loved 90’s bill with his suave charm.

After this meeting the President, I had a Christmas party with Make-A-Wish. They wanted to make it extra special because my parents were struggling to make ends meet. With this party I was given a very interesting gift… A gift called Warcraft II. (They later gave me Warcraft III as well). I fell in love with the story of World of Warcraft when I was able to play it.

Flash forward a few more years, I’m still sick. I’m still in and out of hospitals. I’ve now have had two surgeries under my belt. My cousin just got World of Warcraft, and I just tried it out. Somebody donated a copy of World of Warcraft and Burning Crusade’s battle chest to Make-A-Wish so I got a copy of it. I however, was hardly able to play. This was back at the height of the great Burning Crusade! I worked hard to get through Outland, and all of that.

In August 2008 I had another open heart surgery. My first surgery as an adult, I was only 19! This time my heart was shredded apart due to scar tissue. It was a long and complicated surgery. Instead of being out of the hospital within 5 days or less like normal, I was stuck there for a month. Oh, how I missed Warcraft. I got kicked out of my guild at the time, due to inactivity. So, I created a character on Earthen Ring instead. Found an amazing group of friends that completely understood why I disappeared so much. Unfortunately, very few of them are still around. This group of friends got together and got me World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, so I was able to play with them. Surprisingly, I was the first in my guild to hit 80, nobody saw that coming considering I was at a lot lower level than them! I loved this game. It was my escape.

I played right up until launch. I saw part of the launch event, but, I got sick again so missed part of it. I did come back for the last part just in time for the launch. It was an amazing and surreal experience to witness the beginnings of an expansion. I loved this game all over again and I got to learn a great deal more about everything.

I grew up, I was an adult at this point. My life changed dramatically. I was very sick, I slept 18 hours a day. But, this was all in complications to the 2008 surgery. Through medicine, and clever changes in technology because of the 2008 surgery and beyond, I was able to finally fully start recovering. In everything. It took years to make a complete recovery. I continued to love World of Warcraft. Extreme chest pain? I played Warcraft. I can’t sleep due to medicines or doctors keeping me up all night? World of Warcraft. Yes, by the way, World of Warcraft was approved by a world renowned top cardiac surgeon.

Warcraft was my escape as a child and a teenager. It is my escape as an adult. Somehow… Now. I am no longer terminally ill. I managed to get off of Social Security Disability, by my choice. I got a job (they don’t pay well) doing something I absolutely love. I get to give back in a way now, I get to help transform old paper patient charts into the digital system to help improve healthcare.

I am pleased Warcraft is here, every time I need it. My doctor even allowed me to play it in the hospital. A little bit ago, I had extra free time now that I’m healthy. My schedule is stable. I love my job. I’m happy. I don’t experience pain as much these days, just every once in a while. Now, World of Warcraft is here for me when I’m healthy. I am there for World of Warcraft. I’m always helping low levels, new people. I pay it forward. I offer help where I can. Because of this, some friends managed to get me into a Mythic Hellfire Citadel run, which is amazing! Being nice pays off in karma!

When I saw a Collector’s Edition of Burning Crusade on the homepage of eBay… I had to buy it. Now, it arrived today. I feel my story is a complete circle now. Maybe one day I’ll hunt down a Vanilla and Lich King collector’s edition. But, for now… I am excited to return to the Burning Legion. Burning Crusade was how I found World of Warcraft.

Thank you, Blizzard Entertainment.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You helped inspire hope and make a sick boy a hero as he grew up into a healthy man.

Thank you.

Nick
...dang ninjas cutting onions in here.

Thank you so much for sharing this, Geary. I'm so glad to hear you're doing better, and I wish you all the luck for the future.

<3
That made me smile. I am glad you are in better health than you were.
An exceptionally well written statement.
I myself have had a struggling battle with seizures and aneurysms but not for my entire life.
This game has for the entirety of my life been genuinely the greatest, as you have said, escape from the toils and troubles of, well, life.
Some of my greatest and best friends have been met on this game and some of them indeed, I no longer speak with. Luckily there is at least one who I speak with on and off nearly every year, sometimes even multiple years go by before I get word from her. Unfortunately I love her and everything about her, and I cannot help but express it in statements that will never amount to how she has saved my soul (and I don't think she knows hehe!). I have only been able to repay her with poor poetry and countless messages that adore her. Haha, I am so happy to have met her. As my life goes on I may have lost touch with many of these people, but it is these people who I genuinely trust more than many members of my own family. Many of my friends and family members have just not been as supporting as these people I have met in this game. They are, truly worthy of having been met during my short time here.
Here I wait and here I converse day after day, or at least used to. All while bein' a kickass game where you can do almost anything you want including build a motorcycle without having driven one.
Thank you so much for sharing this. Very much appreciated!

Thank you so much for sharing this, Geary. I'm so glad to hear you're doing better, and I wish you all the luck for the future.

<3
It is my absolute pleasure. I'm sorry about the onions! I'm glad I'm doing well too! I got some interesting guild offers recently too! I'm looking forward to playing with all of you!

07/02/2016 08:40 PMPosted by Münich
That made me smile. I am glad you are in better health than you were.
An exceptionally well written statement.
I myself have had a struggling battle with seizures and aneurysms but not for my entire life.
This game has for the entirety of my life been genuinely the greatest, as you have said, escape from the toils and troubles of, well, life.
Some of my greatest and best friends have been met on this game and some of them indeed, I no longer speak with. Luckily there is at least one who I speak with on and off nearly every year, sometimes even multiple years go by before I get word from her. Unfortunately I love her and everything about her, and I cannot help but express it in statements that will never amount to how she has saved my soul (and I don't think she knows hehe!). I have only been able to repay her with poor poetry and countless messages that adore her. Haha, I am so happy to have met her. As my life goes on I may have lost touch with many of these people, but it is these people who I genuinely trust more than many members of my own family. Many of my friends and family members have just not been as supporting as these people I have met in this game. They are, truly worthy of having been met during my short time here.
Here I wait and here I converse day after day, or at least used to. All while bein' a kickass game where you can do almost anything you want including build a motorcycle without having driven one.
World of Warcraft is a kickass game that allows us to do everything. Seizures do not seem to be a great thing to go through. I am so sorry that you had to suffer seizures. I do agree that some great friends have been met through Warcraft. I still talk to a few every day. I wonder what my life would be like without it?

I love, love, love when a person comes out of nowhere and suddenly goes GEARY! or NICK! Where have you been? I missed you! I get this all the time. Being nice... Pays it forward. Constantly. I am considering migrating to a new realm to play with some friends, but, I am far too nice for the realm. Perhaps I can inspire some change in that community!

07/03/2016 08:49 AMPosted by Vaegrinn
Thank you so much for sharing this. Very much appreciated!

07/03/2016 10:29 AMPosted by Lissanna
Thank you for sharing your story! It is wonderful to hear how the game we all loved touched people's lives so deeply. :)
It is I who should thank you! You're an MPV, so you clearly are very helpful to others! Thank you so much for helping make WoW a vital part of our lives.

Nick
Wow.

This has got to be one of the most touching stories I've ever read about Warcraft/WoW, and it's great to hear that you're recovering, To top it all off, you're even helping low levels! It's stories like this that made me renew my subscription to WoW recently, and I'm glad I did.

Good luck on a speedy recovery,

Nick
First thing first... Good luck with your health. I personally feel that having a healthy life is key to a wealthy future. And after reading your post i confirm my belief that not all is bad in gaming as my Parents and cousins say. I'm not much of a healthy guy either. And playing WoW is better option than brooding and sulking around. You can help others, casually talk with other players, kill the Horde/ Alliance Factions, maybe cook or go Fishing..... Its a free world for you to own. The pay to play system is not that bad as Other mmorpg fanatics rant about. Paying 13-15$ per month is not that big deal as we mostly spend 2$ for A single Taco Bell. All in All, WoW is the best stress reliever for me. Frustrated from my boss, come back to home and play WoW. Getting bored on a Sunday noon, play WoW. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and views. Best of luck for your future and have a healthy life.