WarCraft film different canon/timeline

Story Forum
I approve of it being its own canon/timeline. Means they don't have to stick to the game's backstory. Different things can happen.

Curious what others think, though.
I'm glad they made it its own timeline so any inconsistencies, whether intentional or unintentional, with the game canon can be disregarded.

The only problem will be those who will regard the movie as canon and disregard everything else. Fortunately we have this to tell them to piss off

http://i.imgur.com/6YkNld5.png
Still one would hope certain locals from the Main Universe would appear in the Movie Universe.

I for one would like to see a film interpretation of Elementals, the Emerald Nightmare, the Sha and the Mogu.
06/24/2016 03:06 PMPosted by Yvenathilm
Still one would hope certain locals from the Main Universe would appear in the Movie Universe.

I for one would like to see a film interpretation of Elementals, the Emerald Nightmare, the Sha and the Mogu.

They dumbed down fel magic into just THE FEL and made it into the dark side of the Force, so I wouldn't count on anything there being explored.
06/25/2016 12:49 AMPosted by Kazdoth

They dumbed down fel magic into just THE FEL and made it into the dark side of the Force, so I wouldn't count on anything there being explored.

Part of successful film making is simplifying the overly complex and revealing depth through action and subtext, so there's plenty that can be explored, and well, and "The Fel" doesn't dumb down anything.
06/25/2016 12:49 AMPosted by Kazdoth

I'm sorry but how did they dumb it down? If anything, they have it a complexity by stipulating that it needs a transfer of energy (life) as opposed to simply being mumbo-jumbo dnd crap chaos magic.

Honestly, I'm so glad that fans, apart from Jones and select few, did not have any input in this movie. All the ideas and criticisms of the movie are largely terrible, ham fisted, have the subtlety of comics and lack an ounce of artistic merit.
Also, there is nothing vaguely complex about WoW's magic system which basically relies on the rule of cool and whatever the writers and/or the plot requires it to do.

I mean, warcraft is my star wars and even i don't pretend the is high brow fantasy full of complex themes and well-thought out world building.
06/24/2016 02:17 PMPosted by Axelhander
I approve of it being its own canon/timeline. Means they don't have to stick to the game's backstory. Different things can happen.

I don' t agree. Warcraft isn't Warcraft when you start changing the story around. There's plenty of things they can focus on while also sticking to the lore 100%. Reposting this next part from the entertainment thread:

Now here I'm just going to list some of the things I noticed off the bat in the movie that happened differently from the lore in the books/games.

1. King Llane dies at the dark portal. In the game manual he was assassinated by Garona while within SW itself (and I don't remember Garona being allied with the humans in the game).

2. Footmen have guns. In the RTS, we didn't get guns until war3, and even then only dwarves had them.

3. Lothar and Khadgar stop Medivh. In war1 you lead a small party to take him down, Lothar and Khadgar weren't even in the mission.

4. Gul'dan saves Thrall's life but corrupts him, turning his skin green. I guess that's cool but I don't recall Thrall having any contact with Gul'dan in MU.

5. Gul'dan opened the Dark Portal by himself? The entire time I was thinking Medivh was in on it and just tricking everyone, since in the books it took both Medivh and Gul'dan to open the Dark Portal (same as in the BC dungeon). But it looks like Gul'dan opened the Dark Portal all by himself in the movie??? In the lore, you had a traitor master mage/warlock from each race on each world basically. Medivh was promised power, while Gul'dan was promised a ripe, new world for the Horde to conquer.

6. Warcraft 1 not over? Stormwind was supposed to be razed to the ground. It's like we're 80% through the first war and it's not over yet. If they do a sequel I hope they show the fall of Stormwind, as this is a key event. It would be bad storytelling if you just head into war2 or even LK as they were mentioning online.

7. Lothar vs. Blackhand. Blackhand dead??? Orgrim is the one that's supposed to kill Blackhand in war2, taking his place as warchief of the Horde. Can't tell if Blackhand's just injured or dead already (in the movie). And of course Lothar's supposed to die to ogres in an ambush or while dueling Orgrim, whether you go by the books or game.

8. Lothar has a kid. Not sure about this one. Anyone remember of any mention of Lothar having a son in the games?

Good movie overall, especially the way the orcs were portrayed, and omg Gul'dan was uber coolius. Although, I felt like due to the introduction of all the major characters, we just didn't see enough battles. Of course they'll say they couldn't fit it all in to 2 hours but hey, we could have used a few more epic battle scenes and of orcs up close and personal, slaying children and unarmed humans in the villages.
06/24/2016 02:17 PMPosted by Axelhander

Its a great way for Blizzard to advertise the horde and alliance to newcomers without being bogged down by all the story from the four wars caused by one side. Ill give you a hint, it was the Horde.
06/29/2016 10:41 AMPosted by Xaruman
Warcraft isn't Warcraft when you start changing the story around.

To be fair, Blizzard themselves have done that for years.
06/29/2016 11:15 AMPosted by Shiwu
Warcraft isn't Warcraft when you start changing the story around.

Yes there's slight changes but we can all agree that SW burned to the ground at the end of war1. And that the survivors of SW fled north to Lordaeron. There's certain key things like that that shouldn't be changed.
06/29/2016 11:19 AMPosted by Xaruman
Yes there's slight changes

You... aren't actually serious are you? Blizzard has been flip flopping on shameless retcons that confuse the story for everyone since time immemorial.
Now here I'm just going to list some of the things I noticed off the bat in the movie that happened differently from the lore in the books/games.

You missed one of the biggest changes in the movie from the game's lore:
0. Garona is Medivh's Daughter.

This one along has many possible implications for any possible sequels. such as Garona discovering her possible latent hidden Mage abilities, Guldan keeping her as a pet due to his knowing she has hidden potential/power, could use her for one of his later diabolical plans (user her as a power source or try to corrupt her) or simply just feed off her magic.

Also there could be a change in how possibly Med'an is born (if he's not retconed), where in the game's lore he's the son of Medivh and Garona, in the movie he could still be born, but as the son of either Lothar and Garona, or more likely, Khadgar and Garona.. as if Garona does discover her latent mage powers and once they foil Guldan's plans or defeat him, it's not farfetched that she may become an apprentice under Khadgar and with the teasing in the first movie of Garona asking Khadgar if he wanted to mate with her, etc, this could have been hinting at a possible future relationship.
I fully believe that Garona being Medivh's daughter is their way of writing any possibility of Med'an away, forever.

Honestly "when Medivh was young he was a multidimensional playboy" was one of the best lore changes they made and is pretty much the only thing they could have done to make Garona reasonable as a character.
06/29/2016 12:02 PMPosted by Ankha
"when Medivh was young he was a multidimensional playboy"

Sounds like Tony Stark, everyone loves Iron Man, so good reason to bring him back, as much like Tony Stark, started as a playboy but learned to be responsible, while still being carefree. He'll grow up eventually. maybe.
06/29/2016 11:19 AMPosted by Xaruman
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yes there's slight changes but we can all agree that SW burned to the ground at the end of war1. And that the survivors of SW fled north to Lordaeron. There's certain key things like that that shouldn't be changed.

The actual Warcraft 1 game had the Kingdom of Stormwind slay Blackhand after Llane's assassination.

The destruction of Stormwind was first mentioned by Warcraft 2 not Warcraft 1. This movie is more accurate to the first game than Warcraft 2, it's novelization and the Last Guardian are.
I haven't played WC1 myself, but I was under the impression that the canon story where Stormwind gets sacked was taken from the orc side of the narrative? Basically if you play humans the humans win in the story and if you play orcs the orcs win, and Blizzard decided that the orcs win WC1 and the humans win WC2.
In Orc Campaign the Orcs win without Garona assassinating King Llane while in the Human Campaign the Humans kill Blackhand despite Llane's death at the hands of Garona.

The movie is accurate to the Human Campaign more than Warcraft 2 is accurate to the Orc Campaign.
I think they should have expanded on Medivh's story more than just having him say the "Fel" "got to him".

It implies that Fel is so corrupting that anyone who even exposes themselves to it is going to go rogue. Not only is that not the case in lore, but it's not the case in Medivh's backstory either.

And the lore has to remain consistent, because otherwise we have Fel having a different nature in different timelines. Which means the Burning Legion, being a transcendent entity, makes no sense.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

The actual Warcraft 1 game had the Kingdom of Stormwind slay Blackhand after Llane's assassination.

The destruction of Stormwind was first mentioned by Warcraft 2 not Warcraft 1. This movie is more accurate to the first game than Warcraft 2, it's novelization and the Last Guardian are.

I don't remember anymore but I know the last mission of the orc campaign was you burning down SW. And that's lore because in war2 the survivors flee to Lordaeron. Then in war2 we see all this New Stormwind rebuilding !@#$.

The war2 manual has a picture of Orgrim presenting the head of Blackhand, which I assume happened some time between war1 and war2.

Kingdom of Stormwind slay Blackhand after Llane's assassination. - This didn't actually happen officially. Obviously you can play both sides in the game but this didn't REALLY happen.

Just like the last orc mission of Beyond the Dark Portal - it's not official lore, the human one is. The orcs don't win and go on to conquer countless worlds, they are defeated, Draenor blows up and the orcs in Azeroth are all put in !@#$ camps.

Lol the word Na zi is censored? Seriously Blizz?