Thank you Blizzard Entertainment & Community

General Discussion
Blizzard,

I grew up as a rather sickly child. I fought long and hard to just have a normal childhood whereas most of the people reading this likely have had a better childhood than I have had in terms of health. Being healthy is a key factor in life, especially in our world. I wasn’t the healthy child. I was sick all the time. I was constantly in and out of hospitals. My parents were going broke over paying for my own medical bills.

With a bad heart condition, and a number of other conditions at my birth things took a turn for the worse when I got Kawasaki Disease. I was misdiagnosed by a hospital, but, through being misdiagnosed I ended up finding a world class cardiologist from the University of California: San Francisco that became hugely involved in my case, my care, and started breaking down the barriers my parents had to suffer all my life. My disease was rare at the time, my heart condition made it nothing short of a miracle.

I was a young child and the Make-A-Wish Foundation granted my wish. I didn’t wish to meet Blizzard Entertainment, unfortunately. But, I did do something as equally awesome to meeting my favorite gaming company. What I wished for was to talk to my President. Thus, I was flown out to Washington, D.C. and I spent time with the sitting President in the White House. At this time, you should all know who it was: President Clinton. Everyone loved 90’s bill with his suave charm.

After this meeting the President, I had a Christmas party with Make-A-Wish. They wanted to make it extra special because my parents were struggling to make ends meet. With this party I was given a very interesting gift… A gift called Warcraft II. (They later gave me Warcraft III as well). I fell in love with the story of World of Warcraft when I was able to play it.

Flash forward a few more years, I’m still sick. I’m still in and out of hospitals. I’ve now have had two surgeries under my belt. My cousin just got World of Warcraft, and I just tried it out. Somebody donated a copy of World of Warcraft and Burning Crusade’s battle chest to Make-A-Wish so I got a copy of it. I however, was hardly able to play. This was back at the height of the great Burning Crusade! I worked hard to get through Outland, and all of that.

In August 2008 I had another open heart surgery. My first surgery as an adult, I was only 19! This time my heart was shredded apart due to scar tissue. It was a long and complicated surgery. Instead of being out of the hospital within 5 days or less like normal, I was stuck there for a month. Oh, how I missed Warcraft. I got kicked out of my guild at the time, due to inactivity. So, I created a character on Earthen Ring instead. Found an amazing group of friends that completely understood why I disappeared so much. Unfortunately, very few of them are still around. This group of friends got together and got me World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, so I was able to play with them. Surprisingly, I was the first in my guild to hit 80, nobody saw that coming considering I was at a lot lower level than them! I loved this game. It was my escape.

I played right up until launch. I saw part of the launch event, but, I got sick again so missed part of it. I did come back for the last part just in time for the launch. It was an amazing and surreal experience to witness the beginnings of an expansion. I loved this game all over again and I got to learn a great deal more about everything.

I grew up, I was an adult at this point. My life changed dramatically. I was very sick, I slept 18 hours a day. But, this was all in complications to the 2008 surgery. Through medicine, and clever changes in technology because of the 2008 surgery and beyond, I was able to finally fully start recovering. In everything. It took years to make a complete recovery. I continued to love World of Warcraft. Extreme chest pain? I played Warcraft. I can’t sleep due to medicines or doctors keeping me up all night? World of Warcraft. Yes, by the way, World of Warcraft was approved by a world renowned top cardiac surgeon.

Warcraft was my escape as a child and a teenager. It is my escape as an adult. Somehow… Now. I am no longer terminally ill. I managed to get off of Social Security Disability, by my choice. I got a job (they don’t pay well) doing something I absolutely love. I get to give back in a way now, I get to help transform old paper patient charts into the digital system to help improve healthcare.

I am pleased Warcraft is here, every time I need it. My doctor even allowed me to play it in the hospital. A little bit ago, I had extra free time now that I’m healthy. My schedule is stable. I love my job. I’m happy. I don’t experience pain as much these days, just every once in a while. Now, World of Warcraft is here for me when I’m healthy. I am there for World of Warcraft. I’m always helping low levels, new people. I pay it forward. I offer help where I can. Because of this, some friends managed to get me into a Mythic Hellfire Citadel run, which is amazing! Being nice pays off in karma!

When I saw a Collector’s Edition of Burning Crusade on the homepage of eBay… I had to buy it. Now, it arrived today. I feel my story is a complete circle now. Maybe one day I’ll hunt down a Vanilla and Lich King collector’s edition. But, for now… I am excited to return to the Burning Legion. Burning Crusade was how I found World of Warcraft.

Thank you, Blizzard Entertainment. Thank you to the Warcraft community for making me fit in.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You helped inspire hope and make a sick boy a hero as he grew up into a healthy man.

Thank you.

Nick
07/02/2016 02:28 PMPosted by Geary
I got kicked out of my guild at the time, due to inactivity.

:( this hurt to hear, I'm sorry it happened.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You helped inspire hope and make a sick boy a hero as he grew up into a healthy man.

<3
You Know i would be against this but it feels heartless So i kind of agree with the OP I was a make-a-wish child as well.
Had heart surgeries myself 3 days after i graduated highschool in 2000. Hypotrophicardiomyopathy.

<3 to you.

I am happy I read all of what you had to say.

Peace to you my friend .
I Agree with the guy Happy for you my man.
This. This right here. You deserve to meet blizzard!
Hey, Earthen Ring! I know that place.

I do agree, bud. I do honestly think you deserve to meet the GMs, creators and all those folks behind the Warcraft team.

Best of luck, here's hoping they see this and agree.
I got kicked out of my guild at the time, due to inactivity.

:( this hurt to hear, I'm sorry it happened.

<3
Thank you, my new friend! Because I got kicked out of that guild, I discovered an amazing server where I found awesome friends. I'm still on that server today!
07/02/2016 02:50 PMPosted by Denrarn
You Know i would be against this but it feels heartless So i kind of agree with the OP I was a make-a-wish child as well.
What did you wish for?
Had heart surgeries myself 3 days after i graduated highschool in 2000. Hypotrophicardiomyopathy.

<3 to you.

I am happy I read all of what you had to say.

Peace to you my friend .
Ugh. Heart surgery sucks. My parents didn't understand how I felt my senior year. I was in such pain I ended up spending a great deal of time in the hospital with confused doctors. Right after I graduated they figured something out and that something was very wrong. But, when they went to authorize a surgery but my insurance dropped me and it took 8 months in the courts fighting (with a pro bono lawyer) to get it back and I got my surgery. Luckily I did! According to the surgeon, if it would've been a month longer I would not have been here! The judge was pretty peeved at the group that denied me. Now that's against the law, back when I graduated it was perfectly legal.
07/02/2016 03:13 PMPosted by Denrarn
I Agree with the guy Happy for you my man.
Thank you! <3
07/02/2016 07:15 PMPosted by Brkskullz
This. This right here. You deserve to meet blizzard!
One day I would love to! One of these days I'll manage to get a Blizzcon ticket! I live rather close to Irvine now days!
Manly tears were shed

God Bless you OP
You are owed a handshake from Metzen himself, if you ask me. And I am glad you are finally healthy.
My situation wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but Warcraft and the world of Azeroth has gotten me through some tough times as well.

Glad to hear you're still up and fighting. :)
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you're doing better now. Here's hoping to see you ingame sometime in Legion. ;)
Thank you for sharing!

Reentrant Supraventricular Tachycardias patient myself. Had an AV nodal ablation not long after my 21st birthday and got a pacemaker out of it. I'm now on pacemaker number 12, and WoW has been a big part of my life as I've healed as well.

So glad to hear things are going better for you! :)
Thank you for the recollection of your memories and nostalgia. I am glad you were able to get the BC collector's edition.

I've never had terminal illness, and can't imagine what it is like.

I hope your other dreams come true with Vanilla and Wrath as well.
if this isn't worth a beta key, I don't know what is.
Thank you for sharing!

It's funny how much a game can help us with bad times, and special how it always has (and always will) be there. <3
Lok'tar ogar, friend. It means "Victory or death", as you might know, and you chose "Victory". I salute you. Love from Brazil, mate.

Anu belore dela'na, fellow sin'dorei
07/02/2016 07:51 PMPosted by Kanta
Hey, Earthen Ring! I know that place.

I do agree, bud. I do honestly think you deserve to meet the GMs, creators and all those folks behind the Warcraft team.

Best of luck, here's hoping they see this and agree.
Hey there! It'd be an honor to meet them. But, that is likely out of my reach for now. Perhaps in the future I'll get a Blizzcon ticket and have a chance to mee tthem in person. This game changed my life. This game was me growing up and coping wtih the real world. I love it. Greatly.

07/02/2016 07:53 PMPosted by Dràcula
Manly tears were shed

God Bless you OP
Thank you. <3

07/02/2016 07:55 PMPosted by Jorinak
You are owed a handshake from Metzen himself, if you ask me. And I am glad you are finally healthy.
A handshake from Metzen sounds like something a bit too legendary for a simple Blood Elf like myself!

07/02/2016 07:55 PMPosted by Tadkins
My situation wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but Warcraft and the world of Azeroth has gotten me through some tough times as well.

Glad to hear you're still up and fighting. :)
Azeroth, Draenor, and Outland have all been great escapes and quite an adventure to go through. I made so many friends. They sometimes come and go, others I talk to after years and years. This game has a way of making you connect. I was extremely antisocial by choice, because I was sick, dying and I didn't want to disappoint anyone in real life. I know what it is like to have a friend die. I didn't want to be the one to cause other friends to get upset. But, WoW forced me a bit out of my shell and helped me discover who I am.

07/02/2016 07:57 PMPosted by Sielic
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you're doing better now. Here's hoping to see you ingame sometime in Legion. ;)
For sure! I'll for sure see you all in Legion! Go Earthen Ring!

07/02/2016 08:10 PMPosted by Cuen
Thank you for sharing!

Reentrant Supraventricular Tachycardias patient myself. Had an AV nodal ablation not long after my 21st birthday and got a pacemaker out of it. I'm now on pacemaker number 12, and WoW has been a big part of my life as I've healed as well.

So glad to hear things are going better for you! :)
Oh wow! Pacemaker?! They thought about it once for me, but, I ended up getting aorta reconstruction with an inominate reconstruction, mitral reconstruction, pulmonary reconstruction, left ventricle rebuilt with donor tissue and aortic valve replaced.

07/02/2016 08:56 PMPosted by Thandrend
Thank you for the recollection of your memories and nostalgia. I am glad you were able to get the BC collector's edition.

I've never had terminal illness, and can't imagine what it is like.

I hope your other dreams come true with Vanilla and Wrath as well.
It feels like the worst thing in the world. All you want to do as a kid is to go outside! Sometimes that is not possible! It's rare to recover from one. Luck is on my side. Perhaps I should go try to get Mr. Pinchy again! I will get that achievement one day! I swear it!

07/02/2016 09:00 PMPosted by Peekingduk
if this isn't worth a beta key, I don't know what is.
Legion beta? I would be a terrible beta tester! I probably report bugs everyone else did! I'm hardly cutting edge when it comes to that. Thanks for the thought though!

Thank you for sharing!

It's funny how much a game can help us with bad times, and special how it always has (and always will) be there. <3
WoW can really help with the bad times. When I'm feeling down, I try to make someone else happy, even if it's through Warcraft. It's a great way to get some instant gratification and it is just as every bit meaningful to pay it forward to others.

07/02/2016 09:40 PMPosted by Hellathen
Lok'tar ogar, friend. It means "Victory or death", as you might know, and you chose "Victory". I salute you. Love from Brazil, mate.

Anu belore dela'na, fellow sin'dorei
Lok'tar ogar! Thank you! I fought long and hard in this fight, to be victorious! Brazil! Amazing! I collect postcards, Brazil is on the list of countries I do not have. It looks beautiful there! I will hunt that postcard down one day!

Al diel shala!
I am happy that you have survived and enjoyed this game.
who put these onions here?!?