How Much Solo Content is Too Much for an MMO?

General Discussion
Greetings all.

Recently, I returned to WoW after a stint of playing FFXIV. I loved the game, but the insistence that I follow the story, and the tendency to punctuate each story arc with a scenario that could only be done solo, with no other party members, was a major turnoff. I expect a multiplayer game to be played with multiple players.

Multiple, in every variation of a definition I've ever seen, means at the very least more than one.

So I ask you, oh wise and knowing forumites, how much solo-only content is too much for an MMO? Mind you I don't mean content that you can do solo. I mean content that you must do solo.

For myself, I think proof of skill encounters should be the only solo-only content. Brawler's Guild, Proving Grounds, Legendary tests, those kinds of things. I can see no narrative reason for having lore or leveling encounters be solo-only.

Edit for clarification:
Content that can be soloed = Content that may or may not have been designed for a group, but can be completed solo by one with the skill and/or gear. This question has nothing to do with that type of content.

Solo-only: Content that can only be done with a single living player, with no other living players in the group. Even if you were in a group, the other player would be phased into a different instance. That is what this question is about.
You don't have to do solo content if you don't want to, there's plenty of group content in the game. There's a large amount of people that enjoys soloing, so taking away that content would be silly.
Depends on the player and what they want from a MMo. Personally I love the MMo's that have all the functionality of a MMo that is, a choice to group up with/interact with other players. professions, auction houses ect. But also has the option to play like a solo game.

So for me there is no such thing as too much solo content, but to others who are more social, or prefer the raiding scenes I'm sure its the opposite.
Huh?

FFXIV actually forces you to group with others to progress the story whereas WoW doesn't. Also, the solo instances of FFXIV are nothing more than a glorified quest with enemies running at you and epic music playing,
07/15/2016 12:08 AMPosted by Kasutu
You don't have to do solo content if you don't want to, there's plenty of group content in the game. There's a large amount of people that enjoys soloing, so taking away that content would be silly.

That wasn't the question. And if you are capable of reading, which I will assume you are, you would notice that all that was in my post was a question.

And kindly highlight where in my post I said anything about taking away anyone's ability to solo anything?
I'd say WoD levels of content.
I feel WoW is in a good place with offerings for people who prefer to solo and for those who prefer to group.
07/15/2016 12:09 AMPosted by Velordenus
Huh?

FFXIV actually forces you to group with others to progress the story whereas WoW doesn't. Also, the solo instances of FFXIV are nothing more than a glorified quest with enemies running at you and epic music playing,

Yes it does, until you get to the end of a story arc, when you get a message that "This encounter vcan only be completed solo. You must disband in order to continue."
07/15/2016 12:05 AMPosted by Fìon

So I ask you, oh wise and knowing forumites, how much solo-only content is too much for an MMO? Mind you I don't mean content that you can do solo. I mean content that you must do solo.

Consensus would be the dailies in MoP.

The World Quest Q&A developer acknowledged the problems of too much dailies, where you spend weeks to grind for rep only to get that nice reward at Revered/Exalted 3 weeks later.

That's why they changed the system up into World Quests.

And the wait...dont forget the waiting!
I think the modern definition of an MMO doesn't mean it's a multiplayer game. I know, that sounds contradictory and stupid. But online right now aparently just means that the game is conected to a remote server for constant updates or certain gameplay mechanics. Interaction with other players is becoming more and more sort of a... choice, unless is a pvp game, of course.
I enjoy the system of ESO. You can play through the whole story game by yourself. But dungeons and trials (raids) are quite challenging and require grouping. There is a decent balance between solo and group play.
07/15/2016 12:10 AMPosted by Fìon
07/15/2016 12:08 AMPosted by Kasutu

That wasn't the question. And if you are capable of reading, which I will assume you are, you would notice that all that was in my post was a question.

And kindly highlight where in my post I said anything about taking away anyone's ability to solo anything?

For myself, I think proof of skill encounters should be the only solo-only content. Brawler's Guild, Proving Grounds, Legendary tests, those kinds of things. I can see no narrative reason for having lore or leveling encounters be solo-only.
How many years were you away from the game?

Wow has always been a game where people could just log in and do some quests or kill something without having to find other players to group up with OR ELSE.

Wow has always been a game for casuals who could choose how they wanted to play.

There is less content than ever, and there is less solo content than ever.

In fact, in Legion there is even more content that cannot be completed unless you group up with random strangers who are using you to complete their goals.

Is that really how you make friends in the real world, being forced to work with people who hate you but you have to suck up to them anyway?
07/15/2016 12:29 AMPosted by Sangrelita

Is that really how you make friends in the real world, being forced to work with people who hate you but you have to suck up to them anyway?

Actually, if you think about it that really is how most people make friends. Either at school or work. You are forced to be together and learn to like eachother.
I like grouping with people when I feel like grouping with people. My friends can't always be around when I am, though. If I had to schedule game time every time I wanted to get something done I'd go find something else to play. "But you could just group with strangers!" Yeah, because we all know WoW's community as a whole is a treasure trove of wonderful fun times.
I don't know. The question ignores things like: the reason that particular content is solo-only, the amount of other types of content, the underlying goal of the game in general, the type of mmo the game is trying to present, and at what point does the reliance on multiple players cause social attrition within the player base.
07/15/2016 12:11 AMPosted by Fìon
Huh?

Yes it does, until you get to the end of a story arc, when you get a message that "This encounter vcan only be completed solo. You must disband in order to continue."

I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.

I'm not arguing that FFXIV does not force you to solo certain things, that's why I called them solo instances. But like I said, it's basically just an instanced quest. It doesn't give you any worthwhile reward and you won't find these outside of story quests.
Pretty sure FFXI proved that trying full party content doesn't work. >_>
Solo-only: Content that can only be done with a single living player, with no other living players in the group. Even if you were in a group, the other player would be phased into a different instance. That is what this question is about.

He's talking about solo scenarios.

We had a few in MoP, especially during the cloak quest. Proving Grounds are solo content. Brawler's Guild is an elegant balance where the battles are solo content, but they can be watched real-time and you can interact with other players. Same with pet battles.

I have had to bail someone out of solo content. My keybinds are still there. It really made me angry that we play a multi-player game, but I can't help without literally moving them out of their chair and sitting down in their place.