[Legion] Protection Paladin Guide

Paladin
1 2 3 11 Next
Welcome to Prot Paladin Guide for Legion.

Full guide in proper formatting available here : https://www.wowhead.com/guides/classes/paladin/protection/overview

Mini TL;DR
Default Talents (Raid): http://i.imgur.com/3vus5M8.png
Default Talents (5 Man): http://i.imgur.com/XRkXid6.png
General Artifact Talents: http://i.imgur.com/RIgjjWs.png
Stats Priority : Survival - Vers/Haste >>> Mastery > Crit
DPS - Haste>Crit > Mastery/ Vers
To Skip to Discussion :
07/17/2016 06:00 AMPosted by Qrissinger
Aww yiss.

Abilities

Offensive

Shield of the Righteous Charges: Somewhat reskinned Holy Power since we can still consume it with seraphim (if talented) and it’s still the only ~resource~ we actively generate.

Shield of the Righteous: 16 sec CD, reduced by haste and Judgment. Active Mitigation (AM) of protection paladins. Starting with legion it also works in reducing magical damage so it somewhat makes up for loss of of divine protection. SotR also interacts with level 100 Seraphim talent, which consumes charges (including partial) for short term buff.

Avenger’s Shield: 15 sec CD, reduced by haste and reset by Grand Crusader procs. One of the key dps abilities we have, going to Legion from WoD we lose the 2 extra bounces (until we obtain legendary for it), but with an artifact trait, it can also do a small aoe pulse around each target hit; therefore we can safely pick up adds from range. Furthermore it interrupts initial target, making caster npcs come to us.

Hammer of the Righteous: 4.5 sec CD, reduced by haste. Our filler ability; does extra aoe when we’re standing in consecration and has a chance to trigger Grand Crusader to reset Avenger’s Shield cooldown. When talented into Consecrated Hammer it always AoEs and when talented into Blessed Hammer, it always summons a hammer which does two full spins around us, being able to hit targets multiple times.

Judgment: 6 sec CD, reduced by haste. Each cast reduces cooldown on SotR, thus making Judgment our “resource generator”. Critical hits reduce the CD by twice as much.

Consecration: 9 sec CD, reduced by haste. AoE pulse ability which does not follow us, furthermore increases our SotR and Light of the Protector by 20% when we are standing in it. It’s important to note that this is multiplicative x1.2 not flat 20% increase, so 35% healing will go to 42% instead of 55%.

Avenging Wrath: 2 min CD - 20 sec duration, increases damage and healing by 35%.

Blessings

Blessing of Protection: 5 min CD. Prevents all physical damage for 10 seconds, while also dropping threat from the target. Does not prevent target from attacking.

Blessing of Sacrifice: 2.5 min CD. Redirects 30% of the damage taken by target to you for 12 seconds.

Blessing of Spellwarding: (Talent) 3 min CD. Replaces Blessing of Protection, prevents all magical dmg to the target for 10 seconds, does not drop threat from target.

Defensive

Light of the Protector: 15 sec cd, reduced by haste. Key defensive ability along with SotR. Heals us for 25% of Missing health. Further buffed by standing in consecration and artifact abilities.

Ardent Defender: 2 min CD. Reduces all damage by 20% for 8 sec. If you are to die during it’s duration it prevents the killing blow and brings you up to 12% health. Cooldown further reduced by artifact traits, making it one of more frequently used defensives.

Guardian of Ancient Kings: 5 min CD. Reduces all damage by 50% for 8 sec. Due to increased CD one of the more tactical cooldowns, yet still one of the strongest.

Lay on Hands: 10 min CD. Heals for your maximum health. Longest cooldown of all defensive abilities, making it generally a last resort spell. Can also be cast on allies to prevent death.

Eye of Tyr: 1 min CD. Artifact ability, causes damage around you, and reduces damage taken from those enemies by 25% for 9 seconds. Important to make sure that the dmg you want to reduce is cast by the target being affected and it’s not too far away.

Divine Shield: 5 min CD. Prevents all damage for 8 seconds, but removes all threat for the duration. Important to taunt the target right before casting in order to get 3 sec of aggro on the boss in single target situations, dangerous to use in AoE without final stand.

Flash of Light: 16% max mana, 1.5 sec cast time no cd. Heal to top yourself off while questing, has little use while in combat outside of possibly healing yourself when out of range of healers or sitting in Divine Shield.

Talents

Level 15 - Tier 1

Holy Shield: (Passive) Increases your block chance, allows you to block spells, and your successful blocks deal Holy damage to your attacker.
Mostly used for defensive reasons, especially against dots. Problematic to use against magic nuke’s as you can not rely on it activating.

Blessed Hammer: Throws a Blessed Hammer that spirals outward, dealing Holy damage to enemies that it hits, and causing them to deal 15% less damage to you on their next auto attack.
Highest DPS talent in the row, and the best one for survival vs physical damage. Can hit same target multiple times, applying damage reduction each time. Spins Clockwise.

Consecrated Hammer: (Passive) Hammer of the Righteous has no cooldown. Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of the Righteous, and Light of the Protector now always gain the benefit of Consecration.
Not particularly useful unless you want a faster rotation, or experience issues picking up mobs with baseline abilities.

Level 30 - Tier 2

First Avenger: : (Passive) Increases the damage of Avenger's Shield by 50% to the first target, and increases the chance for its remaining cooldown to be reset by abilities and talents by 10%.
With 7.1 you no longer suffer the penalty of not hitting other targets, and more frequent grand crusader procs will help you be competitive with Bastion of Light on dps in multi-target encounter.

Bastion Of Light: 2 min CD - Immediately grants 3 charges of Shield of the Righteous.
Good synergy for burst set up, especially if used with Seraphim. With the recent changes, it no longer gets de-sync'd from our other cooldowns, which drastically increases it's single target dps value.

Crusader’s Judgment: (Passive) Completely re-designed in 7.1 : Judgment has two charges, and each Grand Crusader adds one charge back. This is good for our survival on big pulls, however, the gameplay is somewhat problematic, as we have to spend a lot more globals on using single target ability, in a multi-target setting.

Level 45 - Tier 3

Fist of Justice: (Passive) Judgment reduces the remaining cooldown on Hammer of Justice by 10 sec.
Can be useful if encounter has stunnable adds.

Repentance: Forces an enemy target to meditate, incapacitating the target and dealing up to a maximum of 25% of the target's health in damage over 1 min.
Soft Crowd Control (CC) that slowly deals damage. Doesn’t have a lot of use.

Blinding Light: Emits dazzling light in all directions, blinding enemies within 10 yards, dealing Holy damage and causing them to wander disoriented for 6 sec. Non-Holy damage will break the disorient effect.
Instant damage and AoE CC. Due to most abilities (Except Auto Attacks and primary target HotR) dealing holy damage, can keep mobs CCed for the entire duration, while you continue to do damage.

Level 60 - Tier 4

Blessing of Spellwarding: Places a blessing on a party or raid member, protecting them from all magical attacks for 10 sec.
Similar to Hand of Protection, which it replaces, except instead of Physical damage it prevents Magical damage.

Cavalier: (Passive) Divine Steed has 2 charges.
Fairly good for mobility.

Retribution Aura: You deal Holy damage to any enemy whose melee attack strikes a party or raid member within 60 yards.
With 7.1 changes to remove tank restriction, this is now the only talent in the row that gives us damage.

Level 75 - Tier 5

Hand of the Protector: Calls down the Light to heal a friendly target for 25% of the target's missing health.
Reduces CD and allows you to cast LotP on other players.

Knight Templar: (Passive) Reduces the cooldown of Divine Steed by 50% and reduces all damage taken while mounted on your Divine Steed by 20%.
Good if you require extra mobility, or if you need a 20% DR cooldown with frequent access.

Final Stand: (Passive) When you use Divine Shield, you also taunt all targets within 15 yards for 8 sec.
Questionably usable talent, which is likely only to be needed if you need AoE taunt.

Level 90 - Tier 6

Aegis of Light: 5 Min CD - Channels an Aegis of Light that protects you and all allies standing within 10 yards behind you for 6 sec, reducing all damage taken by 20%.
Awkward placement and long CD, but can be useful in some fights.

Judgment of Light: (Passive) Judgment now applies Judgment of Light to the target, causing the next 40 successful attacks against the target to heal the attacker.
Low healing, but can help people not tick down from weakest dmg. Generally the go to talent in tier.

Consecrated Ground: (Passive) Up to 6 allies standing within your Consecration receive healing every sec, and enemies within your Consecration have 50% reduced movement speed.
Even lower healing than JoL, and only works on melee, but can be useful if you need to kite adds on a fight.

Level 100 - Tier 7

Righteous Protector: (Passive) Shield of the Righteous reduces the remaining cooldown on Light of the Protector and Avenging Wrath by 3 sec.
Default talent on ST fights, or anything with adds not lasting a long time. Also works with HotP, which allows you to use it very frequently.

Seraphim:The Light temporarily magnifies your power, increasing your Haste, Critical Strike, Mastery, and Versatility. Consumes up to 2 charges of Shield of the Righteous, and lasts 8 sec per charge.
Extremely useful for dps, but not that effective for survival. Can be used with partial SotR charges.

Last Defender: (Passive) Each enemy within 8 yards reduces the damage that you take and increases the damage that you deal by 3%.
Good on multi-target fights, or anything with large packs of adds that are clumped together.
Now that Basic review of Abilities / Talents is done, here is important information :

Summary/Choices on the Talent Rows

Level 15: Holy Shield for Survival against heavy magic damage (ideally dots), Blessed Hammer for dps or survival against physical damage, Consecrated Hammer if you’re struggling with aoe pickup or heavy movement.

Level 30: Single target damage / survival - Bastion of Light, AoE damage - First Avenger, AoE survival - Crusader's Judgment or Bastion of Light depending on damage patterns.

Level 45: Blinding Light for AoE CC + extra damage in 5 mans.

Level 60: Cavalier unless you need to cheese something with blessing of spellwarding.

Level 75: Hand of the Protector generally the go-to for survival, Knight Templar if frequent movement is required, or you need extra CDs against nuke.

Level 90: Aegis of Light for Raid CD, Judgment of Lightdefault for extra raid healing, Consecrated Grounds if you need to kite mobs.

Level 100: Righteous Protector for single target survival, Last Defender aoe survival, Seraphim only for dps - best used if fight has long tank swaps or you overgear it.

Stat-Weights
For survivability, we are looking at: Vers/Haste >>> Mastery > Crit
For DPS : Crit / Haste > Mastery > Vers

Rotation
Protection doesn’t have a set rotation really. However we do have a priority system for maximum survival :
Judgment > Blessed Hammer > Consecration > Avenger’s Shield > Hammer of the RIghteous

In terms of defensive abilities both SotR and LotP/HotP are off the gcd so you can use them while using other abilities.

One of the important things to remember that both LotP and HotP heal a percentage of missing health, so you don’t want to use them as soon as you’re taking damage. At the same time you don’t want to try to game it too much for maximum hps, so I would suggest not using it until ~40% unless you know that you are about to take a big hit, and already on low health. At the same time if you know that you will survive the large hit, and won’t be instantly in danger of dying from AA, you might choose to wait until right after to heal up.

Some of the things to keep track of in the rotation is the usage of blessed hammer and consecration. You ideally don’t want to just spam BH, as you can re-apply the BH debuff before it fades, yet if you space them properly, you can maintain a lot higher uptime on the physical damage reduction debuff. At the same time, consecration usage is important on any fights with periodic add spawns, as you want to delay consecration, so that you can pick up those adds.

SotR Management
One of the more complex decisions is now the usage of Seraphim and usage of SotR in connection to it. In current version Seraphim is a survivability loss, as you’re trading 9 seconds of high damage mitigation for 16 seconds of fairly low mitigation. As such you can’t use Seraphim while actively tanking as it will drastically increase your damage intake. However if you are currently resetting your stacks, you can still use it when not actively tanking. Another thing to remember is that in WoD you got 15 seconds of seraphim for 5 seconds of sotr, while for Legion that cost is effectively doubled. Furthermore average uptime is decreased so those charges take a longer time to generate.

Due to this you should plan Seraphim usage further ahead than in WoD.

Artifact Weapon

Currently we want to go for the most important Golden traits, while picking up as many helpful smaller traits on our way there.

As it stands right now, all of our golden traits are somewhat weak compared to their earlier versions. Bulwark of Order is weak due to its low damage conversion, however it does get some value on AoE fights, where it gains absorbs from each target it hits, this also increases it's potency when combined with the extra AS jumps legendary armor. Light of the Titans is a decent hot, around twice as strong as our Judgement of Light talent.Tyr’s Enforcer has lost a significant portion of it’s damage, however it is still useful for picking up adds from the range due to the small pulse effect.

In order to get to Tyr’s Enforcer we can go through the left or right side at the bottom, and then left or right on top (picking up Hammer Time every single time). I believe that for our general survival the bottom left is stronger, and it’s a bigger dps gain at the same time. In a similar sense i prefer increase on consecration duration over judgment critical chance, as it is much bigger dps increase, while judgment offers incredibly miniscule survivability one.

After that we will go with the Green path, which quickly gets us to Bulwark trait, and will help us with our survival as we grind out 5 mans prior to raid opening. Once we get that, we can quickly pick up Painful truth for AoE trash dps gain, or go with survivability gain from lotp increased healing and AD’s reduced cooldown. After we unlock all of those traits we should be at 21 points, which is probably the amount that we’re going to get before raids open up.

Following the raid opening we will most likely go for block chance and LotT golden perk.

After we have all the large goldens we can go for any of our leftover minor traits. Conveniently enough we have all of them available instantly. One that is often overlooked, but still useful, is the bottom one that reduces Blessing of Sacrifice’s CD by 1 minute.

Damage Rankings for Minor (3/3) Traits :

Consecration In Flame > Hammer Time (if BH) > Stern Judgment > Righteous Crusader > Hammer Time (non BH)

Useful Macros

“Swifty”
#showtooltip
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Seraphim
/use 11
/use 13
/cast Shield of the Righteous
/cast Bastion of Light

Macro useful on pull, First cast is to cast consecration and then to press Macro, which will trigger Seraphim and Wings, active first ring and trinket (if possible) and after that use SotR followed by Bastion of Light (since you’re guaranteed to have 0 SotR charges if you have Seraphim)
Reserved
reserved for prot pvp hype
Aww yiss.
07/16/2016 11:54 PMPosted by Liminara

plz no ;_;
Nice.
Thank you so much. I wish I could say I understand the Artifact leveling,looks like I have some reading to do.
07/17/2016 06:04 AMPosted by Zenal
07/16/2016 11:54 PMPosted by Liminara

plz no ;_;

Actually not that bad in legion.
Was able to 1v2 PvPers in arena when it was still mostly high-end people.

07/17/2016 07:34 AMPosted by Dalles
Thank you so much. I wish I could say I understand the Artifact leveling,looks like I have some reading to do.

Think of it as Vanilla - Cata talent trees. You start at the Artifact +1 Perk (+5% Holy Damage). After that you farm artifact power (just a resource that you get from items, dailies, dungeon drops, etc) which you spend to unlock traits. As you continue unlocking them the cost slowly increases.
Well done ;D

And actually Tankadins currently have a strong PvP showing....let us hope Blizz actually always us tanks to keep it, at least for one or two seasons before the Nerf-axr drops on our current PvP tallent build
Makes me want to start playing again!
Posted by Dalles

Think of it as Vanilla - Cata talent trees. You start at the Artifact +1 Perk (+5% Holy Damage). After that you farm artifact power (just a resource that you get from items, dailies, dungeon drops, etc) which you spend to unlock traits. As you continue unlocking them the cost slowly increases.

Ok,I've digested this and read all I could find online,I think I've got it now. I like this so far.
Thanks, I appreciate you putting the time in to post this. I intend to fully explore all tanks (minus bear, I just cannot get into that tanking style for some reason) before I pick one, so this is very helpful for trying out my pally during the prepatch/early legion.
Lim, in your first post you forgot to bold/underline Hammer of the Righteous and didn't put a space between it and Avenger's Shield.

Other than that, this is greatly appreciated going into the pre-patch on tuesday.
Ty for this info!
Thanks so much! Picking up my prot pally from Cata and this will help me a lot. Didn't realize Blessed Hammer was so powerful and was going to ignore it!
And now let's pray that blizzard remember to sticky this.
Considering how much ppl are struggling with prot paladins, blizzard could've actually looked at this forums.
Hi Lim. Thanks for the guide. Bumpity.
07/16/2016 11:25 PMPosted by Liminara
Avenger’s Shield: 15 sec CD, reduced by haste and reset by Grand Crusader procs. One of the key dps abilities we have, going to Legion from WoD we lose the 2 extra bounces (until we obtain legendary for it), but with an artifact trait, it can also do a small aoe pulse around each target hit; therefore we can safely pick up adds from range. Furthermore it interrupts initial target, making caster npcs come to us.
Hammer of the Righteous: 4.5 sec CD, reduced by haste. Our filler ability; does extra aoe when we’re standing in consecration and has a chance to trigger Grand Crusader to reset Avenger’s Shield cooldown. When talented into Consecrated Hammer it always AoEs and when talented into Blessed Hammer, it always summons a hammer which does two full spins around us, being able to hit targets multiple times.

Missed the formatting on the 2nd portion here.
Also the lv15 and lv30 talent rows are swapped.
Thanks a lot for the Guide!!!! It helped me a lot!

Blizz Sticky this!