World of Diablocraft

General Discussion
So, after cycling through all of my lvl 100s and seeing all the changes to the classes and talents... I can safely say that I might as well be playing D3.

I'll just change movement to click to move and bind my primary and secondary skills to M1 and M2, and the rest of my limited use abilities to my 1-5 keybinds... Hell, I bet if I gear up it won't even make a significant difference in game play.

I haven't been following the Beta or the youtube channels covering the changes. I kinda wanted to see them with an unbiased view when they went live so I didn't have any sort of prejudice walking into them. Guess that really doesn't make too much of a difference now since most of them are pretty terrible.

Switching from Blood to Unholy for my DK. Never liked Blood for tanking (I still miss frost tanks). I refuse to tank in this xpac with these skills.

My Paladin, (of which I have a handful) won't be tanking either. The changes to holy are kinda neat but Ret got obliterated and just reminds me of a mash of HoTs and D3 abilities. I see they gave us blessings and auras back (which I was rather happy with until I was reading the tips) So looks like I'll be healing this expac once I gear for the spec. But that distance mechanic might make me just shelf my paladin for a while. Nothing says fun like the most limited mobile class in the game being required to move all the time to be efficient. Joy of Joys!

My shaman is now a warrior. Maelstrom is basically rage and all the new abilities feel rather like carbon copies of warrior skills. (but truth be told, I don't care much for shaman anyway, so I'll just put him back on the shelf).

My Warlock is now a necromancer only he summons demons instead of raising the dead. Guess the D3 team couldn't resist bringing some of their Witchdoctor mechanics over. Guess I'll be going back to Affy and just AFK DoTing again.

My warrior... well what can I say that's positive about my warrior? Its got neat ability graphics... Fury feels fun until you realize its mindless button mashing again. Prot is a non-starter this expac, I don't want to have to drag a priest with me where ever I go just to stay alive long enough to out DPS the mobs. But hey, everyone gets a flat 30% heal every 2 minutes now! So maybe it won't be too bad.

My Hunter... well I'll play this survival melee hunter for a while and see if its fun. Sounds fun honestly. I remember being able to melee in classic with limited success without feeling like a complete waste of space. And the stigma for melee hunters isn't as strong as it used to be... plus with the new survival being a legit melee spec, I expect to see a lot of them running around.

But the one and only class I'm having a blast with so far is Outlaw rogue. Sabers and Pistols anyone? Yea..

IDK guys... If I wanted to play D3 I would pull out my crusader and play D3. The gear system is basically a carbon copy of D3s system. Crafting looks like its a carbon copy of the D3 system (only with more mats) All of the classes can now be ran exactly like D3 if you bind M1 and M2 and set it to click to move. (which is actually hilarious if you try it out)

*shrug* I know the D3 team has a specific way of looking at things due to the type of game they were making... but do we have to convert everything over to the D3 system? I mean I understand that classic had a TON of D2 stuff folded into the game design and it wasn't terrible... So I'm not upset with the D3 stuff moving over to WoW.. It just feels a bit lazy honestly.

I would really, REALLY like for WoW to not turn into a D3 gear grind... But then I see that dungeons can now scale up to pretty much ridiculous levels of difficulty for the new Titanforged system... So are we just converting WoW into a Diablo style gear grind system where you only get a small bit of content and are expected to just grind it for gear upgrades? I mean that's the reason I stopped playing D3 all together. Once you play the story on every class and get handed legendary items like candy... you kinda lose interest.

And then I hear there are now Legendary world drops and mob pre-fixes? C'mon guys... World of Diablocraft? Say it ain't so.
WoW! This forum is moving FAST today!
yea I expected yesterday to be lots of complaints. Guess people decided to wait until the day after patch.
Wait a min- if this game becomes more like Diablo 3 that wouldn't be so bad.

For players who like to Solo they can quickly run a on level 100-110 dungeon and gear themselves up/goof around/test stuff without having to rely on other players like some of us already do in Diablo 3.

Then there wouldn't need to be a need for tanks/healers/dps holy trinity, just dps and kill swarms of mobs and get artifact points and loot in the process- anytime anywhere dungeons/runs/scenarios/events etc.

Oh man, WoW may actually get more play time from me if they did that.
Can't really judge the classes with the release... every single pre-patch class changes is intended for the max level so of course the classes don't feel great when they don't have their artifact weapons and bonuses from the artifact tree.

The loot system is one hundred times better compared to what we had before, I understand people don't like rng but I also don't like set level gear that becomes useless the moment you level once or do content slightly above it. The chance for something you'd replace in the next dungeon rolling into titan forge and becoming useful for a few more levels compared to being left behind in less than one is pretty nice. Also some people don't like to join big raiding guilds or farm pvp gear and all that jazz so this new system allows them to increase their character instead of being stuck with 40 to 80 negative item level compared to a top tier raider... least they will have something to look forward to instead of grinding dailies and garrisons for 20 minutes a day.

It really isn't a bad thing that we got some Diablo style stuff, look at the wardrobe it is an absolute insane improvement compared to that crappy void storage system we had. The Diablo team does some great work and for WoW it needs something to spice it up... we can't just keep playing with set ilvl gear forever and this new system will give us reasons to keep pushing just like it does for people in Diablo knowing you can still improve on gear. Once you get the best gear you can get in this game like those top tier raiders you have no reason to continue once you got the best of everything, this new system will keep them playing longer instead of clearing the top tier content after a few months and un subbing.

Really looking forward to the dungeon system based on the rifts from Diablo as that will be pretty fun for some hardcore raiders I'd imagine pushing their gear to the absolute limits. All the new orange gear looks fun too.
Interestingly enough, I called this about 4 months ago on D3's site and titled it World of Diablo. Ironically, D3 had been picking up a lot of WoW mechanics as well. I couldn't help but notice a lot of Diablo elements in SC II and its expansions. Blizzard is slowly mashing all their games into one single style. Inherently there's nothing wrong with this. However, it removes the unique features of them all and makes the gameplay boring and repetitive. Honestly if I weren't into the lore for the games I wouldn't continue playing at all. As it stands I've already stopped with SC II and D3 simply because of the monotonous gameplay. Luckily Overwatch is different enough to rope me in every now and then. Anyway.
dear diary.
I think it's best to give it some time before we judge.
Cool, I love Diablo 3.
Again, I don't know why we need so many buttons to be fun. We all know the game is becoming more and more casual. Entertainment isn't restricted to how many features and buttons to push anyway

My guess is still that there will be enough people complaining and blizz will give you your abilities back, so you have many buttons to have to rotate between.
I'm actually feeling it too, the Diablo 3 vibe. It kind of works for the isometric ARPG, but it took 2 years for Diablo 3 to get on it's feet(if not more) while PoE and Torchlight still seem to do a better job of it, one for multiplayer the other for single.

I miss MMO's. I play those games when I want that experience. I play games like Sonic and Mario when I want a single player experience. I played MUDs and MMOs to feel like a character existing in a world...but it seems like developers don't want to acknowledge that's what the genre was supposed to be.

WoW would have been a flop if it released as it is today with it's first inception, because what attracted people to it were MUD, Everquest, and RTS players who enjoyed community and a sense of progressive accomplishment
Oh, hay! People actually commented on my post! AND it got up-votes? Its like the twilight-zone or something!
D3 and WoW have been stealing from each other for a while now. People were grumpy how much D3 took from WoW, and now WoW is grabbing for D3. At least Blizzard is yanking things from within its own licenses now?
Truth be told, Classic WoW had a lot of stuff pulled directly out of D2. But those things were at least handled in a way that it didn't just feel like a carbon copy. I can't say that for these new changes.
simpler design is easier for blizzard devs which equals more disgruntled players that quit which of course means even easier balancing for the devs.
07/24/2016 05:59 PMPosted by Gootrekk
simpler design is easier for blizzard devs which equals more disgruntled players that quit which of course means even easier balancing for the devs.

You think they are intentionally trying to reduce the number of players in WoW? That doesn't make financial sense. The only real people subbed now are the whales selling tokens and those using tokens for game time.

WoD was Raid or Die, and I don't see that changing for Legion. In fact, if the Beta is any indication of what to expect for Legion, its going to be the biggest expac for Raid or Die WoW has ever seen. The titanforged system just allows players to keep getting higher ilvls in the same content ala Diablo's difficulty tiers. So if you like grinding gear for minor upgrades Ad nauseam, you're going to love Legion's version of Raid or Die.
07/20/2016 03:02 AMPosted by Ezekiêl
So, after cycling through all of my lvl 100s and seeing all the changes to the classes and talents... I can safely say that I might as well be playing D3.

Then you have never played Diablo 3. /thread

But just to humor you. Simple, elegant design is the goal of every designer, every where.

Streamlining old features and introducing new intricacies keeps the game fresh. It's the only reason we are all still here. If every class still played the way it did in 2005, it would have gotten old and boring long ago.

At first they just kept adding new abilities. But in no way is that a sustainable model so redesigns were inevitable.

And again, the rules change every expansion so we get to learn to play, basically a brand new game. Learning the rules of a new game is what makes gaming so fun. It's why people are always buying and playing whatever is new.
Got a Crusader and Witchdoctor into season 6. It was rather unplayable at the start, but to quote Monty Python "it got better".

07/24/2016 06:31 PMPosted by Dreadharlot

Streamlining old features and introducing new intricacies keeps the game fresh. It's the only reason we are all still here. If every class still played the way it did in 2005, it would have gotten old and boring long ago.

At first they just kept adding new abilities. But in no way is that a sustainable model so redesigns were inevitable.

And again, the rules change every expansion so we get to learn to play, basically a brand new game. Learning the rules of a new game is what makes gaming so fun. It's why people are always buying and playing whatever is new.

There is streamlining and then there is overhauling. Honestly, the reason they dumped the old wow talents is because everyone complained it was just a cookie cutter with zero flexibility if you were raiding. So they made an attempt to make talents meaningful choices depending on the encounter. Some liked it, some didn't.

Sure, everyone is going to adapt to the new system. (its not like they have much choice anyway) D3 stopped being developed and the D3 team was brought over to help "Fix" WoW from all the mistakes the WoD dev team created. (which they did a fantastic job of fixing D3 after Wilson left)

Unfortunately, that means the D3 team is bringing their design philosophy with them, meaning we get a very heavy D3 experience in WoW now. Titanforged Gear, the new crafting system (which I'll take over WoD's hands down) and the new raid and dungeon difficulty system paired to the Titanforged gear system (Very Diablo Flavored) paired with the new class changes just makes the overall experience Legion is going to offer smell and taste a LOT like D3.

One things for sure, if it doesn't bring in the players, they'll drop support for it like they did WoD.