Blizzard revert the max camera change

General Discussion
This nerf needs to be reverted. It's especially annoying while playing on a laptop; something I do once a week due to travel requirements.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Sounds like a learn to play issue. As stated by Blizzard, their game is designed and balanced around using the default UI. This is akin to complaining about a steroids ban.
Look man, I don't have psychic or x-ray powers like you do.

Any suggestions on how to get them?

Blue post on this states:
We strongly believe that there needs to be parity in this area between players who are using the default UI and those who have addons or knowledge of hidden console variables. One option was certainly to just allow the in-game slider to go all the way up to the CVar hardcap. But that scale is beyond the one around which the game was designed at its core. The development team builds the world, its art, its combat mechanics, and other interactions, around the base UI experience and scale.

You can read the full post from Watcher (Game Designer) here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20745744692#18

I'm not claiming to speak for the developers, merely pointing you to their design thoughts on this change.
ya this new camera distance blows...that is all
07/19/2016 12:28 PMPosted by Jathe
Sounds like a learn to play issue. As stated by Blizzard, their game is designed and balanced around using the default UI. This is akin to complaining about a steroids ban.

Right, but which aspect ratio is it balanced around? Someone with 1950x1080 will still see more of the game than someone with 1024x768. And heaven forbid you have multiple monitors, what kind of monster must you be with all that viewing space?
07/19/2016 11:53 AMPosted by Profoundsoup
The new "max" camera distance is utter garbage while raiding and flying around on large mounts. It really was a unnecessary change. With bosses getting bigger and bigger each raid I dont understand how this change benefited anyone. If 110 pages and 2000+ comments on the forums about the topic dont let you see that, then I dont know what will. I just think this change was 100% unnecessary and doesnt provide any benefits to anyone.

Go into options and set it. .. mine is plenty far back.
07/19/2016 12:37 PMPosted by Rankìn
Right, but which aspect ratio is it balanced around? Someone with 1950x1080 will still see more of the game than someone with 1024x768. And heaven forbid you have multiple monitors, what kind of monster must you be with all that viewing space?

Hey look. Right on time, Rankin rolls in having ignored all past conversations. Do you remember the one we had, Rankin, about how widescreen monitors are extremely common?

07/19/2016 12:36 PMPosted by Hotaruu
This nerf needs to be reverted. It's especially annoying while playing on a laptop; something I do once a week due to travel requirements.

Field of View is unrelated to resolution unless you don't have a widescreen monitor.
Try mythic, you will not be able to see one shot mechanics or be in the yet place at the right and wipe the entire raid.

This statement is inaccurate and just plain ignorant. The game is designed around the default UI. Design and balance are not the same. I don't think anyone, including blizzard, thinks that many people doing the highest level of content (aka mythic raiding and high end pvp) plays without addons of some sort. There may be a few, but the overwhelming majority do use addons, and therefore the content is balanced with the knowledge of that fact. Blizzard knows full well we use DBM (or Bigwigs, or anything else) and therefore have boss timers. They even designed encounters knowing this (hello twilight slicer).

Anyways, the camera distance is a terrible change in my humble opinion.
07/19/2016 12:37 PMPosted by Rankìn

Based on Overwatch, widescreen 16:9 ratio has become the new gold standard over 4:3. Their older software (Diablo, Starcraft, etc) were built with 4:3 ratios and no widescreen support.

Currently, Overwatch has no official support for 21:9 ratio (ultra wide) and doesn't look to officially support it (they use a scaling system to fill all available pixels, but effectively cut off the top and bottom).

I don't think I've heard what Blizzard's stance is on multiple monitor setups. Anyone have info on this?
In the off chance someone from Blizz actually is looking in this thread.....

This issue alone will make me leave the game until it is fixed, or someone much smarter than me designs some kind of add-on to pull back the camera to at least half what it used to be. Not that it will happen based on some of the other threads I've seen. I was just fooling around today and the close-up view was giving me eye strain and a headache.

Gut my abilities? Fine. I'll adapt. I've been adapting on this character for 10 years. But this issue actually changes how I can play comfortably. That is not something to which I will adapt.
07/19/2016 12:14 PMPosted by Bullshifts
They've nerfed the max distance because it was "an unfair advantage"....

Really? How is it unfair?
Not gonna happen. Didn't happen in beta when the masses went for the pitchforks and torches, not gonna happen now.
Shorter max camera distance + action camera + less buttons overall for all classes = Wow for consoles announced at Blizzcon 2016.
Being able to view more than the default max view allows is advantageous over others. It's weird they made this change because it's a good move if you're trying to make a good RPG. This game is anything but that. It's a small drop in the bucket toward fixing this game, but really all add-ons should be removed unless they are cosmetic only.
Make. It. Stop.

Put. It. Back.

Please.

The max camera distance is claustrophobic. This isn't a raiding or combat issue, this is flat-out playability. I keep trying to unconsciously scroll out and I have to keep stopping and tabbing away.

If I want to be in that close, I'll zoom in but for the love of God let me zoom out when I need to.
Hey look. Right on time, Rankin rolls in having ignored all past conversations. Do you remember the one we had, Rankin, about how widescreen monitors are extremely common?

Yeah, extremely common on one website. Which had a disclaimer as such that you proceeded to ignore so you could pretend to have a point. But hey, keep accusing me of ignoring arguments when you sail right past many of my arguments.
07/19/2016 12:52 PMPosted by Valdren
Being able to view more than the default max view allows is advantageous over others.
Fair enough but given that the reasonable response is to put the cvar-allowable-max into the default controls so you don't screw over people who used the prior blue-text-advice for dealing with eye-strain, headaches, and other not-game-advantage reasons.
07/19/2016 11:55 AMPosted by Gilloch
I raided all Heroic HFC with the default camera and didn't have a problem.

07/19/2016 11:53 AMPosted by Profoundsoup
I just think this change was 100% unnecessary and doesnt provide any benefits to anyone.

07/19/2016 11:55 AMPosted by Gilloch
I don't get it.

You're right, you don't get it.
Bad enough all the bosses that are so huge you never saw much of what you were fighting. Now.../smh

This change is just bad.
Check your menu under camera settings and toggle "near" to "far." that should help. Some things got reset.
07/19/2016 12:00 PMPosted by Thecheat
That's great. Did you know that the new default max camera distance on the slider is actually even lower than the max distance on the slider before the patch?

Actually, no, it's not.

07/19/2016 12:20 PMPosted by Marott
Except they made "max distance" even shorter than it was before pre-patch.

No, it wasn't. Not if you used the slider.

In fact, they upped the limit during the beta testing to further than the slider on Live before the patch.

Edit, you actually have to up the slider in game post patch. It defaulted to lowest setting.