The Removal of Action Cam

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 14 Next
07/30/2016 05:18 AMPosted by Eyrinjia
07/30/2016 03:28 AMPosted by Cantaloupe
"I accidentally typed /console actioncam full, and I can't figure out that /console actioncam off deactivates it!"

How do these people operate keyboards?

How do some of you survive with zero empathy for others?

That is not what has been happening to people. It's buggy enough it's turning itself on, even when (in some cases) it's been explicitly turned off. It wasn't ready for release in the first place. And calm down, it will be back when it's ready.

Empathy is a two way street I see no empathy from the minority of people complaining about a new feature that supposedly affected a minute segment of the community even though most of the forum complainers didn't even know how it worked and the coincidence that the same people complaining about the FOV change and the action cam feature is a bit odd.

07/30/2016 09:20 AMPosted by Havrana
How is it getting turned on automatically?

It's not.
I have seen a total of ONE person claim that the actioncam turned on for them without them knowing it.

I have seen countless people say they heard of this happening to someone else...interesting.

In 10 years, actioncam will be an Urban Legend. ;)
07/30/2016 09:57 AMPosted by Depakote
I have seen a total of ONE person claim that the actioncam turned on for them without them knowing it.

I have seen countless people say they heard of this happening to someone else...interesting.

In 10 years, actioncam will be an Urban Legend. ;)

I had to type the command in to get the action cam turned on. Imagine that wizardry
07/29/2016 03:41 PMPosted by Abolishment
Recently, Blizzard posted a message stating they were going to be disabling action cam for the time being. Apparently, "more than a few players" were accidentally enabling the action cam feature.

I'm completely befuddled as to how this would happen. It's a console command, therefore you have to go completely out of your way to enable it. It's not something you could click in the interface by mistake.

To clarify: This experimental mode is/was apparently being enabled in some cases through no direct action of users. The concern isn't that people could somehow accidentally type "/console actioncam full" and then be bewildered regarding how to disable it. The concern is that people have logged into 7.0.3 and found some of those features defaulted on, with no indication to that effect, and the game does not provide any clear direction regarding how to disable it.

"Action cam" will return. It was an in-development feature that ended up being accessible to players in one of our beta builds, and when we saw how much fun players were having with it, we decided to keep it around as a hidden toggle rather than disabling it immediately. It seemed harmless at the time. But there is now clear evidence to the contrary. The mode needs some extra safeguards, and we need to make it easier for players to know whether portions of it are enabled and if so, that it's an experimental feature, and how to disable it. That isn't possible without a real patch (that is to say, not a hotfix, but rather a new patch number beyond 7.0.3).
Thank you so much for clarifying this issue. Was getting sick of people relying on the previous CM message that got everyone blaming the players.
Just wanted to add my thanks here as well.
Recently, Blizzard posted a message stating they were going to be disabling action cam for the time being. Apparently, "more than a few players" were accidentally enabling the action cam feature.

I'm completely befuddled as to how this would happen. It's a console command, therefore you have to go completely out of your way to enable it. It's not something you could click in the interface by mistake.

It seems to be a bit of a rash decision, completely disabling the feature for everyone to use instead of sending out some sort of bulletin, telling people how to work it, or just investigating the apparent bug that was causing this issue.

It's just a bit frustrating, a few people's complaints screwing the rest of us over.

i had it randomly start after heroic gunship. hated it and had to reloadui to get it to stop
07/30/2016 03:46 PMPosted by Lifewarden

It seems to be a bit of a rash decision, completely disabling the feature for everyone to use instead of sending out some sort of bulletin, telling people how to work it, or just investigating the apparent bug that was causing this issue.

It's just a bit frustrating, a few people's complaints screwing the rest of us over.

i had it randomly start after heroic gunship. hated it and had to reloadui to get it to stop

That's not actioncam. It is a bug with the camera, but that's not how actioncam looks (I run actioncam in ICC and I have to reload after gunship too.) If you leave the cannon before you "win" the battle your camera doesn't mess up
Thanks for the clarification Ion!
07/30/2016 03:46 PMPosted by Lifewarden

If it's what I'm thinking of that's not the action cam, your camera gets put in a odd position and you can't run in a straight line. Been going on for as long as I can remember.
Bring Back the ActionCam!
07/30/2016 09:12 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
07/30/2016 08:57 AMPosted by Lailyana

/console ActionCam basic

it removes the shakiness of camera follow on an npc, and it really makes it look much much cleaner overall

Does

/console ActionCam default

Bring the shaking back ?

sorry was at work, i havent tried that i would imagine so though
But this was the feature I was most excited for. :(
>thanking a dev for screwing you over

lel

You realize, of course, that empathy actually has negative survival value. Right?

07/30/2016 03:13 PMPosted by Watcher
The mode needs some extra safeguards, and we need to make it easier for players to know whether portions of it are enabled and if so, that it's an experimental feature, and how to disable it. That isn't possible without a real patch (that is to say, not a hotfix, but rather a new patch number beyond 7.0.3).

Put it in the interface options with a check box and a slider. When you check the box, have a pop up display a warning that it may exacerbate motion sickness and that the feature is a work-in-progress.

You're welcome.

To clarify: This experimental mode is/was apparently being enabled in some cases through no direct action of users. The concern isn't that people could somehow accidentally type "/console actioncam full" and then be bewildered regarding how to disable it. The concern is that people have logged into 7.0.3 and found some of those features defaulted on, with no indication to that effect, and the game does not provide any clear direction regarding how to disable it.

"Action cam" will return. It was an in-development feature that ended up being accessible to players in one of our beta builds, and when we saw how much fun players were having with it, we decided to keep it around as a hidden toggle rather than disabling it immediately. It seemed harmless at the time. But there is now clear evidence to the contrary. The mode needs some extra safeguards, and we need to make it easier for players to know whether portions of it are enabled and if so, that it's an experimental feature, and how to disable it. That isn't possible without a real patch (that is to say, not a hotfix, but rather a new patch number beyond 7.0.3).

How does this removal affect the overall camera? Recent changes to the camera have been giving people motion sickness and nausea. Will this change alleviate these issues?

Thank you for getting the correct information out there.
07/30/2016 04:23 PMPosted by Petersen

You realize, of course, that empathy actually has negative survival value. Right?

The mode needs some extra safeguards, and we need to make it easier for players to know whether portions of it are enabled and if so, that it's an experimental feature, and how to disable it. That isn't possible without a real patch (that is to say, not a hotfix, but rather a new patch number beyond 7.0.3).

Put it in the interface options with a check box and a slider. When you check the box, have a pop up display a warning that it may exacerbate motion sickness and that the feature is a work-in-progress.

You're welcome.

Didn't you comprehend what he just wrote? You can't just magically put an option in the interface options. Coding doesn't work like that. It takes time, testing, more testing, and even more testing, otherwise it can potentially break other options and features.
07/30/2016 04:27 PMPosted by Echõ

How does this removal affect the overall camera? Recent changes to the camera have been giving people motion sickness and nausea. Will this change alleviate these issues?

Thanks for everyone’s reports so far. We’ve been able to use them to isolate a few more potential sources of motion sickness, and are currently working on sending out a small hotfix patch that will hopefully address at least some of them. We wanted to give a quick heads up on what we’re changing.

For starters, we were able to identify some potential issues with how flying mounts are behaving differently in patch 7.0.3 compared to 6.2.4 that we believe will help some players. Once this hotfix is live, flying mounts will no longer bank/lean to the sides when rotating in place, and the extent to which they lean when turning while in motion will be lowered back to how it was in patch 6.2.4. Additionally, we’re fixing an issue that was causing the camera to “pop” when landing or taking off on a flying mount.

We also identified and fixed some bugs that were causing some fairly extreme issues with the camera while the player is considered by the game to be in a “vehicle.” Because of how that tech is used, this includes several situations that might not obviously seem like you’re in a vehicle, such as the later parts of the Al’Akir encounter.

Finally, we received a surprising number of reports from players that indicated they had somehow unknowingly activated “Action Cam.” For those who are unfamiliar, Action Cam is an experimental alternate form of camera control that is currently unfinished and not quite ready for the general public. It had become available through a console command in the Legion beta, but since it doesn’t give any unfair gameplay advantages and (so we thought) had to be expressly activated by the player, we’d left it accessible through that command.

However, it has become clear that more than a few players have somehow turned it on without knowing, and it’s a major cause of motion sickness for those players. So, we’re going to disable it entirely for now, and plan to bring it back in a future patch once we’ve sorted out all the motion sickness issues and given it a little bit more polish.

These fixes will be active on the PTR and Beta realms for testing as soon as possible, and if all goes well, we plan to apply them to live realms on Monday, August 1. Once they’re live, please do continue to report areas of the game or activities in which you’re finding yourself feeling unwell. Videos in particular are extremely helpful, as they allow us to see exactly what the camera is doing at the time. We’re continuing to put our highest priority on resolving these issues and getting you back in the game without having to worry about motion sickness.
Source: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20747654593?page=45#post-895
>thanking a dev for screwing you over

lel

No we're thanking him for the clarification on the reasons for its removal, particularly the bit about it activating and reactivating on its own after being disabled -- a fact that was confirmed several times over on fresh log-ins with no add-ons. That clarification was necessary because the first Blue post about it failed horribly, making it sound to many like the problem was with certain players being stupid rather than it actually being a bug, which it is.